DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

I checked something like a dozen of the entries from the latest post and none of them are available for streaming on Netflix.  What the heck?

Yeah, I don't know.  I just checked again and a couple of the ones I wanted to add (I hand't yet), are still aren't and the majority of the ones that showed as new are now gone from the list.  This is the first time something like this has happened on this site, and I've been checking almost every day for half a year.  Sorry!

I checked something like a dozen of the entries from the latest post and none of them are available for streaming on Netflix.  What the heck?

Yeah, I don't know.  I just checked again and a couple of the ones I wanted to add (I hand't yet), are still aren't and the majority of the ones that showed as new are now gone from the list.  This is the first time something like this has happened on this site, and I've been checking almost every day for half a year.  Sorry!

Yeah, I check it daily myself.  It's a big mess right now.  They've got season 1 of Orange is the New Black as being brand-new today, for example.  But hey, at least THAT is available streaming, unlike 99% of everything else they've got listed.

I will say that a lot of the stuff that is supposedly getting added has been there before since I remember watching it (or at least having it in my queue)

So them being re-added wouldn't be that much of a surprise

Under The Skin was described as this:

Jonathan Glazer's atmospheric, visually arresting abstraction stars Scarlett Johansson as a seductive alien who prowls the streets of Glasgow in search of prey: unsuspecting men who fall under her spell, only to be consumed by a strange liquid pool.

The warning flags should have come up when the words atmospheric and abstratcion appeared, but it was ScarJo, so what the hell.  This movies made no sense whatsoever, we ff'ed thru 90% of it.  The only good thing about this movie is that ScarJo has no problem whatsoever of being naked on camera.  Full naked.  Seriously, that would be the only reason to get this.  I don't think there is any dialogue until like 13 minutes intot he movie.  Oh, my wife did like the full on naked boners following SJ around.

I liked Under the Skin.  For one thing, there were some really nice visuals (err, I mean besides naked ScarJo).  And it was cool that it was sort of like being a fly on the wall during a secret alien invasion (though it's not even certain that it's an "invasion" of any sort).  You don't know exactly what they're doing or why they're doing it.  You can sort of put together some possibilities, but you can't be sure.  

Honestly, I wish I hadn't known it had anything to do with aliens.  As indicated above, that's in the basic description of the movie.  And it would have been difficult to market the movie without it -- I guess they could have said Johannson was a "covert agent"... or since "agent" has implications that may not be accurate, a "woman with a secret", I guess.  Anyway, if anybody wants to see it with others, I recommend telling them that ScarJo is a mysterious woman who seduces men into a strange fate.  Something like that.  I think it would be more fun to see it and only figure out she's an alien later on.  Also, it's fun after the movie to debate what the plot actually was.

An interesting note, from wiki:  Most of the characters were played by non-actors; many of the scenes where Johansson's character picks up men were unscripted conversations with men on the street filmed with hidden cameras.

http://gothamist.com/2014/09/25/netflix_october.php#.

This one seems more legit. Sad that Major League is going away, not too many I'm excited to see next month. I do want to see Please Subscribe, and Tabe, I hope you get to watch it, I'd like to read your thoughts on that one too.

Sounds right up my alley, will check it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...