DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

So after getting a Blu Ray with WiFi, I decided to use Netflix streaming again. You can imagine the disappointment suffered when I realized King of The Hill was gone. To add insult to injury, I immediately searched for South Park and that was gone too! On the plus side I guess I will finally delve into Breaking Bad and Futurama. What do you think the time table is for the last season of Breaking Bad to show up?

King Of The Hill is gone? Those motherfuckers. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can anybody explain why Netflix changed from those readable yellow captioning to the less than readable white captioning?

In addition, noticed that the subtitles were formatted to the left instead of the center.  It's annoying because usually I have subtitles/captioning on no matter what I watch because I don't want to disturb the missus.

I noticed that Raising Hope popped up today.  Good show, and I need to catch up on it.

Yes, yes you do.  And support the new episodes on Friday, if you haven't already.

I watched the GLOW documentary on Netflix, and understand that Lipstick and Dynamite is there too.  Anyone catch either?

Instant Watcher is the place for what's out now. But because Netflix changed all the rules, these sites don't have open access to everything that's coming and when it expires.

Even without this info it's a superior site to navigate than Netflix itself.

Blackfish is an awesome documentary and I recommend it to everyone.  It's about SeaWorld's killer whale, Tilikum, the three deaths he was responsible for, and the psychological effect captivity has on killer whales.  Also, how becoming a trainer at SeaWorld isn't as hard as you think.

There is a great doc up now called Somm, focusing on four friends who are trying to become master sommeliers. As an avid beer drinker, it opened up a lot of the "serious" world to me, and made me realize just how primitive my beer tasting descriptors are.

Somm is lots of fun, whether you're into wine or not. It's worth it for understanding the lengths one has to go to in order to achieve Master status. I'm an amateur wine nerd, and my memory is so bad at remembering what I tasted last week that I can't imagine even attempting this.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys.

Question for those living outside of the US but also for those who know what they're talking about..

I see there's a way to access Netflix USA from the UK using your PS3 if you change the DNS codes. Does anybody do that here? More importantly, does anybody have any codes that work? The ones I Googled for have lots of comments saying they no longer work.

Thanks

-Adam

You could try these:

Google DNS

Comcast DNS

For paid services this site works well: http://adfreetime.com/ and it's only $1.99 (US) a month.

• 4 months later...

The wife and I watched our latest Netflix dvd's this weekend:  Under The Skin and Locker 13.  If any of you ever get the chance to watch these two:  DON'T.  Locker 13 wasa rambling mess of random stories, (althought I did kind of like the very ending). 

Under The Skin was described as this:

Jonathan Glazer's atmospheric, visually arresting abstraction stars Scarlett Johansson as a seductive alien who prowls the streets of Glasgow in search of prey: unsuspecting men who fall under her spell, only to be consumed by a strange liquid pool.

The warning flags should have come up when the words atmospheric and abstratcion appeared, but it was ScarJo, so what the hell.  This movies made no sense whatsoever, we ff'ed thru 90% of it.  The only good thing about this movie is that ScarJo has no problem whatsoever of being naked on camera.  Full naked.  Seriously, that would be the only reason to get this.  I don't think there is any dialogue until like 13 minutes intot he movie.  Oh, my wife did like the full on naked boners following SJ around.

• 1 month later...

Netflix just added a SHITLOAD of movies streaming today.  Team America.  Jay & Silent Bob.  Pretty Woman.  Armaggeddon.  Boondock Saints 2.  That's just the start.  Seriously, our que just about doubled.  Our five year old will go crazy for the Madgascar and Cloudy/Meatballs ones.