DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Spring 2023

Elsalvajeloco

25 minutes ago, AxB said:

Between that in Poland, and the other Stadium in Tajikistan full of people watching UFC on a big screen, it really makes UFC's insistence on mostly running North America look short sighted.

KSW is an island onto itself in MMA between using Polish boxing stars like Glowacki and Artur Szpilka, the best and most well known MMA fighters in Poland like Khalidov and Materla, and a host of pseudo celebs. Since they don't run shows weekly, they can have a perfect storm of mixing and matching stuff. Today was basically their version of WrestleMania. KSW is more PRIDE than any iteration you will find in Japan nowadays. I mean Mariusz Pudzianowski fought BOTH Khalidov and Materla, who he outweighed by 40 and 50 pounds. 

UFC is way too no frills to do what KSW does in Poland.

• Thanks 1

Meltzer:

Chris Weidman returns from his horrible broken leg on 8/19 in Boston when he'll face Brad Tavares at the UFC 292 PPV show.

Joe Rogan won't be announcing Saturday's UFC show in Vancouver. Paul Felder will be taking his pace, working with Jon Anik and Daniel Cormier for the PPV show headlined by Amanda Nunes vs. Irene Aldana for the women's bantamweight title.

Man, Chris Weidman leg break is the worst sporting injury I've ever seen vs. Uriah Hall at UFC 261. UFC gave a Viewers Discretion warning on the replays, Daniel Cormier couldn't watch it and on the second, the UFC quickly stopped it.

Edited by The Natural

UFC 289

UFC 289: Nunes vs. Aldana 
June 10, 2023
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Rogers Arena)

UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship: Amanda Nunes © (135) vs. Irene Aldana (135) (first defense) - Nunes, DEC (unanimous)
Charles Oliveira (154) vs. Beneil Dariush (156) - Oliveira, TKO (punches), R1 (4:10)
Mike Malott (169.5) vs. Adam Fugitt (170.75) - Malott, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (1:06)
Dan Ige (145.5) vs. Nate Landwehr (145.25) - Ige, DEC (unanimous)
Eryk Anders (184.75) vs. Marc-André Barriault (185) - Barriault, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Nassourdine Imavov (185.5) vs. Chris Curtis (185.25) - No Contest (accidental clash of heads)
Jasmine Jasudavicius (125.25) vs. Miranda Maverick (125.5) - Jasudavicius, DEC (unanimous)
Aiemann Zahabi (135) vs. Aori Qileng (135.75) - Zahabi, KO (punches), R1 (1:04)
Blake Bilder (145.5) vs. Kyle Nelson (145) - Nelson, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
David Dvořák (125.5) vs. Steve Erceg (125.5) - Dvořák, DEC (unanimous)
Diana Belbiţă (114.5) vs. Maria Oliveira (115.5) - Belbiţă, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Steve Erceg
Performance of the Night: Mike Malott
Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira
Fight of the NightEryk Anders vs. Marc-André Barriault

Attendance: 17,628
Gate: $3.83 million

A tough one. I love both Nunes and Aldana, and generally I would never pick against Nunes, but Aldana is one fighter I've never ever picked against. so I'll be rooting for Irene especially after Alexa's greatest moment, would love to see the teammates Irene & Alexa become champs together.  Looking forward to it

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

When's the last time we saw a guy/gal debut into the Top 10 of a weight class?

Gaethje? He was 5 after beating Michael Johnson. Gaethje is still main eventing while Johnson is doing stiff ballet dances before hitting the ground. Life comes at you fast.

Due to the influx of weight classes and inexplicable voting, I believe there have been a few people that have been ranked in the top 11-15 area after their UFC debut. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gaethje? He was 5 after beating Michael Johnson. Gaethje is still main eventing while Johnson is doing stiff ballet dances before hitting the ground. Life comes at you fast.

Due to the influx of weight classes and inexplicable voting, I believe there have been a few people that have been ranked in the top 11-15 area after their UFC debut. 

I just remembered Michael Chandler. I think Dan Hooker was Top 8.

I feel like Landwehr's promo skills may likely never be matched by his actual fighting skills. He's a scrapper who can beat other fringe contenders in very fun fights on Fight Night cards every 3-4 months and cuts awesome promos afterwards. Guys like Ige are just a little bit better than him.

Landwehr might be 15th best or even 14th best - but he ain't Dan Ige. 

Kinda feeling the Mike Malott hype. Well rounded, methodical.

So looking forward to this Dariush/Do Bronx fight. Both guys are great - sucks someone is going to lose - but should be a slick match.

I haven't been participating as much in online MMA discussion as I used to (weekly routine of 20+ hours of wrestling and art films and an absurd game collection), ESPN cards suck, UFC is agent of global fascism, etc) but I had NO idea that Oliveira was the underdog in that fight and that media picks were 50/50. What? I have defended Benny online plenty but that is just impossible for me to understand.

Edited by John E. Dynamite