DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Spring 2023

Elsalvajeloco

Fujy8SKWwAMPCSZ.jpg?1682440441

UFC on ABC 4: Rozenstruik vs. Almeida 
May 13, 2023
Charlotte, NC (Spectrum Center)

Jairzinho Rozenstruik (265) vs. Jailton Almeida (231) - Almeida, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:43)
Anthony Smith (205.5) vs. Johnny Walker (205.5) - Walker, DEC (unanimous)
Daniel Rodriguez (170) vs. Ian Garry (170.5) - Garry, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:57)
Carlos Ulberg (204.5) vs. Ihor Potieria (204.5) - Ulberg, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:09)
Alex Morono (169.5) vs. Tim Means (170.5) - Morono, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (2:09)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Matt Brown (170) vs. Court McGee (170.5) - Brown, KO (punch), R1 (4:09)
Karl Williams (239.5) vs. Chase Sherman (254) - Williams, DEC (unanimous)
Cody Stamann (139) vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade (139.5) - Andrade, DEC (unanimous)
Ji Yeon Kim (126) vs. Mandy Böhm (126) - Böhm, DEC (technical decision)
Bryan Battle (173)* vs. Gabriel Green (170.5) - Battle, KO (punch), R1 (0:14)
Jessica-Rose Clark (135.5) vs. Tainara Lisboa (134) - Lisboa, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:20)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Matt Brown
Performance of the Night: Carlos Ulberg
Performance of the Night: Ian Garry
Performance of the Night: Jailton Almeida

Attendance: 18,712
Gate: $2.09 million
Rating: 1.018 million viewers

off to a hot and quick start with that Battle/Green fight. i think they said it was the 6th fastest finish in UFC history?
**edit: 6th fastest Welterweight finish**
also, lol @ Battle hitting the Flair strut and WOO'ing

not gonna be able to watch all of this in real time but a low key good card on paper!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

WILD end to the Kim/Bohm fight due to a bizarre judging situation. involving an illegal knee, points being taken, and scorecards having to be re-submitted. just a weird fight all around.

57 minutes ago, twiztor said:

WILD end to the Kim/Bohm fight due to a bizarre judging situation. involving an illegal knee, points being taken, and scorecards having to be re-submitted. just a weird fight all around.

Reminder: It's North Carolina, a place that doesn't even get smaller MMA and for that matter, combat sports in general.

That said, it's the strangest fight I have ever seen. This was a perfect storm of weird fouls (Kim), clearly taking the easy way out (Bohm, but Kim gave her that way to be fair), and horrendous officiating. I am never seen someone take points several moments after the fact and to start the round. I know it's referee's discretion but that still didn't make any sense.

Doesn't top the strange debacle Top Rank had during the pandemic which had a much, much longer delay regarding the official decision of a fight, but it's definitely would be up there.

• Like 1

Daniel Rodriguez was a pretty decent test. However, I think Ian Garry is probably going to see tougher style matchups as he moves up the rankings. Still a nice performance though.

It isn't a real Anthony Smith fight unless by the end you're deeply concerned about his health and safety. I think Johnny backed off a little at the end so Anthony can retain some brain cells.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

i was rooting for Rozenstruik by KO like i usually do. oh well. he's always been a one dimensional fighter, so not surprising to see that get capitalized on.

That's why he got matched with Almeida, who is like 250% better than he was on the ground.

Fvxb5gtWcAM9NYF.jpg?1683733106

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 81: Dern vs. Hill
May 20, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Mackenzie Dern (115) vs. Angela Hill (114.5) - Dern, DEC (unanimous)
Edmen Shahbazyan (185.5) vs. Anthony Hernandez (186) - Hernandez, TKO (elbows and punches), R3 (1:01)
Emily Ducote (119.5) vs. Lupita Godinez (119.5) - Godinez, DEC (unanimous)
André Fialho (169.5) vs. Joaquin Buckley (170.5) - Buckley, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:15)   
Carlos Diego Ferreira (154.5) vs. Michael Johnson (155) - Ferreira, KO (punch), R2 (1:50)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Hayisaer Maheshate (155.5) vs. Viacheslav Borschev (154.5) - Borschev, TKO (punches), R2 (2:37)
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115.5) vs. Vanessa Demopoulos (117.5)** - Kowalkiewicz, DEC (unanimous)
Orion Cosce (172.5)* vs. Gilbert Urbina (170) - Urbina, TKO (strikes), R2 (2:55)
Ilir Latifi (249.5) vs. Rodrigo Nascimento (264.5) - Nascimento, DEC (split)
Chase Hooper (156) vs. Nick Fiore (154) - Hooper, DEC (unanimous)
Natália Silva (124.5) vs. Victoria Leonardo (124.5) - Silva, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:58)   
Takashi Sato (170.5) vs. Themba Gorimbo (170) - Gorimbo, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Viacheslav Borschev
Performance of the Night: Carlos Diego Ferreira
Fight of the Night: Mackenzie Dern vs. Angela Hill

Natalia Silva just busted Leonardo's face and was absolutely ADORABLE trying to speak english without the translator.

Interesting to see if Chase Hooper fares better at lightweight. Apparently he was still growing into his body, and still trying to make 145 when it didn't make sense. He said his last fight he was drinking only protein shakes and honey 1-2 weeks before fight week.  Was trying to cut down from 185. Fucking madness.

• Like 1

Joaquin Buckley hopefully ate his Wheaties cause he's going to be hard pressed to create a scarier KO than Diego Ferreira utterly disintegrating Michael Johnson.

26 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

First round of Dern/Hill was more exciting than I thought possible. Dern is not fucking around. She wants a finish.

That was easily her (Dern) most consistent performance. Second round looked somewhat shaky, but nothing you would mistake for adversity. 

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That was easily her (Dern) most consistent performance. Second round looked somewhat shaky, but nothing you would mistake for adversity. 

I hope that's her moving forward because the division got even more interesting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FwfGE4NWIAEE7q5.jpg?1684508155

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 46: Kara-France vs. Albazi 
June 3, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Kai Kara-France (125.5) vs. Amir Albazi (126) - Albazi, DEC (split)
Alex Caceres (145) vs. Daniel Pineda (145.5) - Caceres, DEC(unanimous)
Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Jesse Butler (154.5) - Miller, KO (punch), R1 (0:23)
Tim Elliott (126) vs. Victor Altamirano (124.5) - Elliott, DEC (unanimous)
Karine Silva (125.5) vs. Ketlen Souza (124.5) - Silva, SUB (kneebar), R1 (1:45)
Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (171) vs. Abubakar Nurmagomedov (170) - Dos Santos, DEC (split)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Daniel Santos (135.5) vs. Johnny Munoz Jr. (136) - Santos, DEC (unanimous)
Andrei Arlovski (245) vs. Don'Tale Mayes (262.5) - Mayes, TKO (punches), R2 (3:17)
John Castañeda (136) vs. Muin Gafurov (136) - Castañeda, DEC (unanimous)
Jamie Mullarkey (156) vs. Muhammadjon Naimov (155.5) - Naimov, TKO (punches), R2 (2:59)
Jinh Yu Frey (116) vs. Elise Reed (115) - Reed, DEC (unanimous)
Luan Lacerda (136) vs. Da'Mon Blackshear (136) - Blackshear, TKO (punches), R2 (3:54)
Maxim Grishin (205) vs. Philipe Lins (205.5) - Lins, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Muhammadjon Naimov
Performance of the Night: Jim Miller
Fight of the Night: Alex Caceres vs. Daniel Pineda

Rating: 845,000 viewers

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

That's a big fucking stadium.

Yes. Yes, it is.

I saw the promoters touring it yesterday, and it's clear they were very ambitious about the show doing well. Good for KSW.

Between that in Poland, and the other Stadium in Tajikistan full of people watching UFC on a big screen, it really makes UFC's insistence on mostly running North America look short sighted.