DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Spring 2023

Elsalvajeloco

326392437_885929835993721_13648052349425

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 43: Vera vs. Sandhagen 
March 25, 2023
San Antonio, TX (AT&T Center)

Marlon Vera (136) vs. Cory Sandhagen (135.5) - Sandhagen, DEC (split)
Holly Holm (135.5) vs. Yana Santos (135) - Holm, DEC (unanimous)
Nate Landwehr (145.5) vs. Austin Lingo (146) - Landwehr, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:11)
Andrea Lee (126) vs. Maycee Barber (125.5) - Barber, DEC (split)
Chidi Njokuani (185) vs. Albert Duraev (186) - Duraev, DEC (split)
Daniel Pineda (145.5) vs. Tucker Lutz (146) - Pineda, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (2:50)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Steven Peterson (146) vs. Lucas Alexander (146) - Alexander, DEC (unanimous)
Trevin Giles (170.5) vs. Preston Parsons (171) - Giles, DEC (split)
C.J. Vergara (126) vs. Daniel Lacerda (126) - Vergara, TKO (punches), R2 (4:04)
Victor Altamirano (124.5) vs. Vinicius Salvador (126) - Altamirano, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Daniel Pineda
Performance of the Night: Nate Landwehr
Fight of the Night: C.J. Vergara vs. Daniel Lacerda

Attendance: 16,076
Gate: $2.15 million
Rating: 976,000 viewers

• Like 1

FYI, Yana Santos is not a new fighter. It's Yana Kunitskaya, who is now married to Thiago Santos. You probably already know, but just in case you were thrown off much like last week with Veronica Macedo now being listed as Veronica Hardy (she got married to Dan Hardy in her time off from fighting).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say Sandhagen has earned his title shot especially if we're not getting a teammate vs. teammate fight with Aljo and Merab.

Also, Nate Landwehr is a national treasure. That is all.

• Like 1

Vergara/Lacerda was awesome! I was stunned when Vergara survived the first, only to make the comeback in the 2nd. Super fun fight. Altamirano looked good. Nice win for Maycee. Holly looked great and I'm glad to see Sandhagen with another big win

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Vergara/Lacerda was awesome! I was stunned when Vergara survived the first, only to make the comeback in the 2nd. Super fun fight. Altamirano looked good. Nice win for Maycee. Holly looked great and I'm glad to see Sandhagen with another big win

Re: Vergara/Lacerda

It's rare (the act itself is rare TBH) that a guy who gets hurt in a fight and then runs completely away from his opponent gets CHEERED. He had to be the hometown guy cause if this was anywhere else, this would have been a disaster. It would have also been a disaster had he lost. On the hand though, the commentators built up the fact that Lacerda (aka Daniel da Silva) hadn't been out of like the first round so you knew what was probably coming.

As for Holly, I would like celebrate the fact that she is somehow a still perennial contender and pretty much the ultimate gatekeeper in terms of female fighters. However, as someone who doesn't usually pay attention to the post fight interviews (unless it's someone outlandish like a Amanda Ribas or Nate Landwehr), it did take me aback as to why Holly Holm was trending very high at like 3am for a fight that didn't end in a controversial decision or a highlight reel finish. I will say it's kinda wild, but I remember what the UFC's core audience is. That and if someone broaches a topic like that, it draws out a certain crowd. So yeah, that was a thing.

• Like 1

FrwgnztWIAYV6Hm.jpg?1679432643

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 44: Holloway vs. Allen 
April 15, 2023
Kansas City, MO (T-Mobile Center)

Max Holloway (146) vs. Arnold Allen (146) - Holloway, DEC (unanimous)
Edson Barboza (146) vs. Billy Quarantillo (146) - Barboza, KO (knee), R1 (2:37)
Dustin Jacoby (206) vs. Azamat Murzakanov (205) - Murzakanov, DEC (unanimous)
Ion Cuțelaba (206) vs. Tanner Boser (203) - Cuțelaba, TKO (punches), R1 (2:05)
Pedro Munhoz (136) vs. Chris Gutiérrez (136) - Munhoz, DEC (unanimous)
Clay Guida (154.5) vs. Rafa García (155) - García, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Bill Algeo (146) vs. T.J. Brown (146) - Algeo, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:40)
Brandon Royval (126) vs. Matheus Nicolau (126) - Royval, KO (knee and elbows), R1 (2:09)
Zak Cummings (206) vs. Ed Herman (206) - Cummings, TKO (punches), R3 (4:13)
Gillian Robertson (116) vs. Piera Rodríguez (116) - Robertson, SUB (armbar), R2 (4:21)
Landon Vannata (156) vs. Daniel Zellhuber (156) - Zellhuber, DEC (unanimous)
Bruna Brasil (116) vs. Denise Gomes (115) - Gomes, TKO (punches), R2 (2:42)
Aaron Phillips (136) vs. Gastón Bolaños (136) - Bolaños, DEC (unanimous)
Joselyne Edwards (136.5)* vs. Lucie Pudilová (136) - Edwards, DEC (split)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Gillian Robertson
Performance of the Night: Brandon Royval
Performance of the Night: Edson Barboza
Fight of the Night: Bill Algeo vs. T.J. Brown

Attendance: 16,000
Gate: $2.1 million
Rating1.22 million viewers

Obviously Max and Allen could potentially put on a classic tonight, but there's a couple of other nifty fights.

Gillian Robertson's record isn't a ton to write home about, but she is coming off of a grappling exhibition where she tapped Rose Namajunas out very very quickly. Again, Rose isn't some great jiu-jitsu player - but knowing you can tap out the champ could be a confidence boost.

Brandon Royval and Matheus Nicolau might steal the show. Fun Fact: Royval has fought 6 UFC fights. 3 of them won Fight of the Night.

I can't remember the last time Clay Guida had a boring fight.

Tanner Boser looks shredded compared to the last time we saw him. Ion Cutelaba doesn't seem to like him much. I suspect someone is getting knocked the fuck out.

And as I write this Denise Gomes is brute forcing a takedown that made Cormier shake his head.

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Obviously Max and Allen could potentially put on a classic tonight, but there's a couple of other nifty fights.

Gillian Robertson's record isn't a ton to write home about, but she is coming off of a grappling exhibition where she tapped Rose Namajunas out very very quickly. Again, Rose isn't some great jiu-jitsu player - but knowing you can tap out the champ could be a confidence boost.

Brandon Royval and Matheus Nicolau might steal the show. Fun Fact: Royval has fought 6 UFC fights. 3 of them won Fight of the Night.

I can't remember the last time Clay Guida had a boring fight.

Tanner Boser looks shredded compared to the last time we saw him. Ion Cutelaba doesn't seem to like him much. I suspect someone is getting knocked the fuck out.

And as I write this Denise Gomes is brute forcing a takedown that made Cormier shake his head.

Gillian Robertson almost killed Mariya Agapova. Don't forget that. That was super ugly. Also, it was a reminder that if you make your fighting career off being wild that technique is going make you look super amateurish at some point. Unfortunately for Agapova, that's been all of her losses including the most recent one where it looked she was dying on the mat.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gillian Robertson almost killed Mariya Agapova. Don't forget that. That was super ugly.

Ewww I did forget about it, and after just watching it again, I remembered why. Scary

Observation: Denise Gomes can crack 'em. Gotta keep an eye out for any women's straw weight that has heavy hands like that. Every punch looked like they were electrocuting Brasil.

11 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Ewww I did forget about it, and after just watching it again, I remembered why. Scary

Observation: Denise Gomes can crack 'em. Gotta keep an eye out for any women's straw weight that has heavy hands like that. Every punch looked like they were electrocuting Brasil.

Bruna kept her head straight up and pulling straight back. It's like she had no interest in moving side to side to avoid those punches.

LOL.... Rodriquez saying she didn't tap... but she should be thankful because Gillian was about to pop that elbow.

If she wants to be mad, she should be mad that she looked abysmal on the ground. Like every choice she was making was the wrong one.

13 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

LOL.... Rodriquez saying she didn't tap... but she should be thankful because Gillian was about to pop that elbow.

If she wants to be mad, she should be mad that she looked abysmal on the ground. Like every choice she was making was the wrong one.

On the replay, that looked iffy. There was some space where it looked like it was on, but definitely not tight. However, if it was a verbal submission, there isn't much you can really do about it. It should be noted I picked Rodriguez but I didn't expect her to be taken down in negative 5 seconds to begin the round and her being a total fish out of water.

Every blue moon when Ed Herman fights, I am reminded he is the most hittable UFC fighter in history cause his reflexes for a fighter are horrendous. I am guessing just cause he somehow has been in the UFC forever, that at the very least he is top 5 in most strikes absorbed.

Had some family over, so I missed most of the show after Rodriquez. But I did catch Boser getting mugged by Cutelaba. Admittedly my interest in Boser was because he was so laughably Canadian the first time I saw him and I wanted to root for the weirdos. But even at 205, I don't know if he's much of a threat to anyone in the Top 15.... Khalil Rountree? Dominick Reyes? Jimmy Crute? Maybe? He could still be a 50/50 fighter and keep his job and maybe pull off some fun wins. But I'm not looking at him as a hot prospect.

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Billy Quarantillo just got absolutely blasted with a knee to the face. Yeeeouch.

The good ole announcer jinx.

DC: If Billy can keep this up....

**Billy gets kneed into the astral plane**

Max is probably my favorite fighter, so I'm happy to see him getting it done. But feel for Arnold Allen who got stuck fighting Max's fight. This was big for him and it just didn't happen.

Now I gotta see if my dude Curtis Blaydes can survive another monster.

• Like 1

Screenshot.png?1681823021

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 80: Pavlovich vs. Blaydes
April 22, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Sergei Pavlovich (260.5) vs. Curtis Blaydes (262.5) - Pavlovich, TKO (punches), R1 (3:08)
Brad Tavares (185) vs. Bruno Silva (186) - Silva, TKO (punches), R1 (3:35)
Bobby Green (156) vs. Jared Gordon (155.5) - No Contest (accidental clash of heads)
Iasmin Lucindo (126) vs. Brogan Walker-Sanchez (126) - Lucindo, DEC (unanimous)
Jeremiah Wells (171) vs. Matthew Semelsberger (171) - Wells, DEC (split)    

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:    
Rick Glenn (155.5) vs. Christos Giagos (155.5) - Giagos, KO (punch), R1 (1:35)
Rani Yahya (136) vs. Montel Jackson (136) - Jackson, KO (punches), R1 (3:42)
Karol Rosa (144.5) vs. Norma Dumont (145) - Dumont, DEC (unanimous)
Mohammad Usman (239.5) vs. Junior Tafa (252) - Usman, DEC (unanimous)
Francis Marshall (146) vs. William Gomis (146) - Gomis, DEC (split)
Brady Hiestand (136) vs. Danaa Batgerel (136) - Hiestand, TKO (punches), R3 (4:21)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the NightMontel Jackson
Performance of the NightChristos Giagos
Performance of the NightBruno Silva
Performance of the NightSergei Pavlovich

It's been a minute since UFC had a card where I have almost no interest or memory of most of the participants. If it weren't for Blaydes, who I'm hoping can pull this off and get a title shot, I probably wouldn't give this one much thought.

Prelims we get Kamaru's little big brother taking on Junior Tafa who is coming off two R1 KO (last one was over Parker Porter). So that should be fun for like 2 minutes.

I know Norma Dumont and Karol Rosa, but I'm not really wondering about how that fight plays out.

Jared Gordon is in an interesting position. If he loses then it makes a rematch with Paddy feel a little irrelevant. If he wins he can start to put Pimblett in the rear view mirror.

Meanwhile Bobby Green is thinking to legally changing his name to KING, while he's 2-4 in his last six fights. Respect that kind of swagger my guy.

Brad Tavares/Bruno Silva could be your fight of the night.

Hopefully Curtis Blaydes wrestlefucks Pavlovich for 25 whole minutes just to troll Dana.