DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Sakura Genesis 2023 *contains NJPW New Japan Cup 2023 spoilers*

The Natural

FryzoLfakAEyIlR?format=png&name=small

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA for Okada's IWGP World Heavyweight Championship at NJPW Sakura Genesis 2023, 8th April.

I see SANADA defeating Kazuchika Okada in the IWGP World Championship match the winner gets. SANADA leaving LIJ, joining a new group in Just Five Guys, debuting a new finisher and new look. SANADA will look an idiot if he doesn't win. Reminds me what happened to EVIL in the 2020 New Japan Cup as EVIL wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship/IWGP Intercontinental Championship from Tetsuya Naito leaving LIJ for Bullet Club. Making a new main eventer out of nowhere. SANADA does little for me. If I had my way, Zack Sabre Jr would be in SANADA's position here winning the New Japan Cup then beating Okada for the IWGP World Championship.

I hope Sanada wins. He's very hit or miss as a wrestler, but it's much more satisfying from a storytelling perspective, and the new look/stable change sort of demands it. Plus I can do without any more mega reigns from Okada. Or anyone really.

• Like 3

I really like the concept for the triad match but then my mind put the idea that all of Bryan Danielson matches should be under those rules now and I want Dbry Shingo under these rules especially and am sad it will probably never happen 

• Like 1

Full Card:

- Jeff Cobb, Aaron Henare & Francesco Akira vs EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi & SHO
- Tama Tonga, Hikuleo & Master Wato vs David Finlay, KENTA & El Phantasmo
- Tetsuya Naito, Shingo Takagi & BUSHI vs Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & DOUKI
NJPW World TV Title: Zack Sabre Jr (c) vs Shota Umino
IWGP Tag Team Title: Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI (c) vs Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs Robbie Eagles
IWGP World Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs SANADA

Other non-mentioned bits: Oleg Boltin has his official debut at Korakuen on April 2nd, teaming with Umino & Taguchi against ZSJ, Eagles & Kosei Fujita. NEVER Openweight 6 Man Tag Titles are on the line on April 3, a rematch of Strong Style vs House of Torture. Sakura Genesis looks like it'll be a good show, a big night for the Aussies, hoping Aussie Open get the big win finally but I do think Hiromu is retaining. Zack vs Shota should be fun, their New Japan Cup match I think was my match of the tournament. Also hopefully a bit more comes out on that mysterious hype vid. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eivion said:

Kind of disappointed. Would have rather she had a singles match against either of them. 

I'm not familiar with hee opponents yet but I thought the same thing. Just for the fact that alot of her Wrestlemania matches were multi person matches, I figured they'd want to only book her in singles matches. I suppose it will be good and it will get a ton of time but I'd much rather see her in one on one matches especially against fresh talent she never faced and people like me aren't familiar with yet

Just now, Ziggy said:

I'm not familiar with hee opponents yet but I thought the same thing. Just for the fact that alot of her Wrestlemania matches were multi person matches, I figured they'd want to only book her in singles matches. I suppose it will be good and it will get a ton of time but I'd much rather see her in one on one matches especially against fresh talent she never faced and people like me aren't familiar with yet

In that case, we can start recent. Track down AZM's latest title defense with Starlight Kid for AZM's High Speed Title and on the same show is Hazuki challenging for Stardom's version of the IC/US title the Wonder of Stardom against Saya Kamitani. They are both on Stardom's Triangle Derby Finals card from March 4th. You will understand instantly why both are in that match. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I'd be shocked if the match goes more than 15 minutes. To be fair I don't think a singles with either was going longer either.

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'd be shocked if the match goes more than 15 minutes. To be fair I don't think a singles with either was going longer either.

I hope they get at least 13-15 minutes. Anything more than that is all gravy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I hope they get at least 13-15 minutes. Anything more than that is all gravy.

Considering the last Women's Title defense on a NJPW Japan show went 5...

Are we not counting 'Battle in the Valley'?    Mercedes vs. Kairi went 26 minutes.   

I would have also preferred a straight up Mercedes vs. AZM match however I recently watched Stardom's Triangle Derby Finals and Hazuki looked great.   AZM vs. Starlight Kid was excellent as expected. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

Considering the last Women's Title defense on a NJPW Japan show went 5...

Battle in the valley was in the US, not Japan.  I'd say 15 tops.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Does AZM usually have matches that are much more than 15?  Her vs. Starlight Kid was about 17 

Not much outside of tags, but that is semi by design with how Stardom works. Longer singles matches tend to happen only with the White and Red belts though there have been two 30 minutes draws for the High Speed belt she currently holds. 

Because it's a special 50th anniversary thing with TV Asahi (50 years of NJPW on Asahi), I won't be able to see SANADA point weirdly after winning/not winning the IWGP title at Sakura Genesis. I think everywhere outside of Japan can still stream it live on NJPW World.

• 2 weeks later...