DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE - 3/22/2023!

DEAN

On 3/22/2023 at 11:09 PM, Octopus said:

I lost my God damn write up fucking shit.

I've felt the sting of this issue a couple times over. Can we just go back to the old reliable green board? Maybe Tony will feel nostalgic and come on back. 

I only skimmed through the first 4 or 5 pages so apologies if this was brought up already. But I am shocked not to see much talk on the rope color. It actively took away from my enjoyment of the show. It was distracting and off putting. It felt like a low rent flea market independent that tries to pretend like they are WWE from the 80s. It doesn't fit AEW's brand. It's like some try hard shit. I guess I'm probably the only one that feels this way.

I'm starting to feel like man yelling at clouds. But I like traditional guard rails. I like simple black ropes. I'm not a fan of AEW WWE'ing their on screen presentation. I hate the look of WWE shows. Everything is so gaudy and over produced. And it seems like AEW is starting to do that. It's starting to turn me off. Maybe I'm alone in that. Maybe I'm gonna go full Drew here and the production look will be my Young Bucks lol.

Yes, yes, Vikingo & Kenny was fucking awesome. I loved it. But I would have loved it way more if I wasn't so distracted by the new aesthetics. Thanks for reading my rant. Now get off my lawn.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I really enjoyed the new ring rope colors. I had been saying for a while they needed to spruce up their ring.

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I only skimmed through the first 4 or 5 pages so apologies if this was brought up already. But I am shocked not to see much talk on the rope color. It actively took away from my enjoyment of the show.

the-internet.gif

• Like 2

Re: the rope colours, is that even a WWE thing? Do they go with the red, white, and blue combo outside of a Great American Bash or Tribute to the Troops? It mostly briefly confused me as I was wondering if there was some great March 22nd observance of American patriotism that had slipped my mind. 

In the 80s, the ropes were red, white and blue

Enuffa.com: Top Ten Things: 80s Wrestling Matches

They went to all red ropes in the attitde era, and then started colour coding them for Raw and Smackdown during the brand split silliness.

• Like 4

The red white & blue fit 80s WWE. It fit their brand and identity. And it fit the time. 80s WCW didn't have a singular identiy. Thir scheme seemed to change a bunch.

Idk I have always seen AEW's production as the spiritual successor to early Nitro. Regular rails. Black ropes that don't steal your attention visually. But the new bright logo filled rail lining. The new colored rope scheme. It's not what I associate with AEW. I had always associated them letting the wrestling stand out vs the gaudy bright colors and shiny shit everywhere and the excessive branding. Times are a changing. And I'm just one person. But this one person probably won't be paying as much attention going forward if it's going to be WWE-lite visually.

I chalk up being okay with it in the 80s to TVs not being HD. Now the contrast is jacked up so much and everything is hyper lit and hyper bright. That color scheme seriously clashed with me watching the action.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The red white & blue fit 80s WWE. It fit their brand and identity. And it fit the time. 80s WCW didn't have a singular identiy. Thir scheme seemed to change a bunch.

Idk I have always seen AEW's production as the spiritual successor to early Nitro. Regular rails. Black ropes that don't steal your attention visually. But the new bright logo filled rail lining. The new colored rope scheme. It's not what I associate with AEW. I had always associated them letting the wrestling stand out vs the gaudy bright colors and shiny shit everywhere and the excessive branding. Times are a changing. And I'm just one person. But this one person probably won't be paying as much attention going forward if it's going to be WWE-lite visually.

I chalk up being okay with it in the 80s to TVs not being HD. Now the contrast is jacked up so much and everything is hyper lit and hyper bright. That color scheme seriously clashed with me watching the action.

You're definitely not the only one. It seems to me that AEW has shifted hard from a promotion that was determined to differentiate itself from WWE as much as possible into a very WWE-lite type of promotion. Not just visually (though certainly there) but also in the shift away from mostly clean finishes, the de-emphasis of unique indie characters (like, say, Abadon or Angelico, or Sonny Kiss) on the network shows, and (particularly galling to me, personally, though apparently delightful to a lot of wrestling fans) an over-reliance on empty "member berries" nostalgia pops (like, for example, the tired cliche of the tough good guy driving the ambulance back to the arena just in time to make the save).

As long as they keep sprinkling in matches like Cobb vs Kenny and Hager vs Brody King and Hayter vs Emi and Bear Country vs Trustbusters... I am going to keep watching, but like you I am way less enthusiastic about the current "Burger King" era of AEW and wish they'd go back to differentiating themselves from the competition as much as possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

They went to all red ropes in the attitde era, and then started colour coding them for Raw and Smackdown during the brand split silliness.

and thank you for using a pic from the 1988 Survivor Series, one of my favorite ppv's of my youth

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and thank you for using a pic from the 1988 Survivor Series, one of my favorite ppv's of my youth

BTW for those who do not know...this is not a weird Lumberjack match. For a short while (and I think this was the last time), they decided to have a Survivor series match with damn near every tag team in the company and boy was it a mess. However, as you can see, Los Conquistadores got a payday.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

BTW for those who do not know...this is not a weird Lumberjack match. For a short while (and I think this was the last time), they decided to have a Survivor series match with damn near every tag team in the company and boy was it a mess. However, as you can see, Los Conquistadores got a payday.

1987 and 1988 were the only years that featured a match with all the teams in the company on each side. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Just from a production standpoint, it was horrible because the ring wasn't big enough to have that many people standing on the apron and shoot the action. That said, for 1988, it made sense cause they had to justify the double turn with Mr. Fuji, Powers of Pain, and Demolition. 

9 hours ago, JLowe said:

I didn’t even notice the change in rope colors but I have been noticing some more WWE style choices in the production and general layout of the programming.

Didn't AEW hire a Kevin Dunn disciple last year to head up their production? They definitely do a lot of the WWE-style "change cameras with every impact" thing now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm in the 10th row here - the Demolition/Fuji turn happened on our side of the ring.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Didn't AEW hire a Kevin Dunn disciple last year to head up their production? They definitely do a lot of the WWE-style "change cameras with every impact" thing now.

Mansury was being groomed to take over for Dunn if that fucker ever retired. But according to him, Dunn or WWE never had a timetable in place for his retirement, and Mansury didn’t like playing politics, so instead of spinning his wheels and staying in limbo as Dunn’s “protege”, he left and went to work for ONE Championship (MMA) for a few years.

I haven’t noticed camera cuts like WWE, so if it’s happening it must not be as bad as Dunn’s production style. Not denying it’s happening, but I likely won’t notice until I get motion sickness from watching a simple strike exchange.

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Colours I grew up on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Re: the rope colours, is that even a WWE thing? Do they go with the red, white, and blue combo outside of a Great American Bash or Tribute to the Troops? It mostly briefly confused me as I was wondering if there was some great March 22nd observance of American patriotism that had slipped my mind. 

They've also gone back to the red/white/blue scheme during the "Old School" and 30th Anniversary episodes of Raw.

Re: Too similar to WWE
WWE doesn't hold the trademark to that rope color scheme, but I'll agree that that's who we all think of when we see that. I like a splash of color when it comes to AEW, so (almost) any change is welcome to me. Given the company's color scheme, I would have suggested something more akin to black/gold/black.

I can't think of anything I notice or care about less than the color of rings ropes.

EDIT: I might even say that caring about the color of ring ropes is a very WWE idea to have.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, AxB said:

I was thinking contemporary, but of course yes. I hate my stupid brain for not recalling this because it was so much back then it blended together, but noticing AEW because it jumped out contemporarily. At least that's what I think my stupid brain did. 

And as Elsa alluded to... good god, so many bodies.