DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE - 3/22/2023!

DEAN

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Making my point more directly, I don't think they should be recruiting any potential Blackpool guys. The Mox/Claudio/Yuta unit is working just fine (and I guess Danielson if they want to work him back into that, whatever), I just think it's time to move on from it and re-name the group.

I still love the name. A shout out to group founder and greatest podcaster to have ever lived. Unless a gimmick change (Acolytes becoming APA) or massive members shake up leading to a new feel (Inner Circle as Jericho’s friends to JAS as Sports Entertainers), I look at this as a continuation of BCC despite the loss of the leader (DX after Shawn Michaels) and I’m fine with keeping the name. It’s like the Young Bucks being “Young” when Matt Jackson is 38.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Good luck, I hope it works out - and just a heads up on that, the ticket times may be a little longer than usual due to the incoming price increase and people w questions about the quad box they deployed for the tourney

Motherfucker. ANOTHER price increase? I think I may just drop YTTV for Hulu TV.

• Thanks 1

The Fun run continues. Great trios bout to begin. 60s Sting is the best Sting since he was surfing in the late 80s. Gunns-Top Flight was fine to follow. I dig the chickenshit heel Gunns, but with a preference for lower on the card. Not into Belted Asses. The post match promo was a great example of their lack of readiness for the gold. Let Cash get a word in first. Poor construction of a talk segment to have FTR standing there like chumps after the spitballs. Maybe FTR are the losers young Colton suggested. No wait, I love FTR! Nice Jade promo. Sterling's on fire these days. Leila Grey seems to be coming into her own in-ring and on the mic - I'm seeing rumblings of most improved in 2023 from a good source. That Kiera Hogan bout from Dark this week suggests this may be true. Stoke-Hook was fun. Adam Cole-Danny Garcia talk segment was spot on. Garcia is already great and only getting better. I think babyface Cole has found his spot. I may have had unreasonably high expectations for Stu-Mox, but I was happy nonetheless. Rick Starks slides in with a solid promo - his flow has always been good, but his content is starting to match. Tho not as great as last week's debut, QTV continues to defy the haters with terrific comedy. Harley Cameron seems poised for stardom, not the promotion, maybe the promotion. Toni leads Skye to perhaps her best match yet. Riho rocking and rolling around with weapons in hand is working. Goddamn BCC are killing it. Kenny-Vikingo was a goddamn masterpiece. Beautiful! Also, kudos to AEW for a nice build with the terrific videos. Okay, so post-match, it seems a bit silly that they didn't pre-tape the Hangman ambulance deal. I mean for timing. It worked anyway, but would've worked even better had the BCC not had to buy time. It should be noted that Moxley's stomps on Omega were absolutely horrible. I love Mox, but he has rotten looking stomps - especially when he tries Danielson's kick your face in routine. Just stop Jon! I'll leave the 'Backscratch of Doom' alone this week. Most everything else he does is pretty great. Like this company. Goddamn, Goddamn I love this fucking show! 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Log said:

Totally agree.  I think Callis is going to end up being behind it. He's obviously trying to drive a wedge between Kenny and his friends.

Also, BCC coming out in black hoodies with the hoods up for Mox's match lends itself nicely to someone in disguise as them attacking the Bucks.

Have Callis come out next week and imply it was actually Dark Order that attacked The Bucks seems the logical step from there to further dissention between Hangman and Kenny .

(and if you really want to Russo it up to 11. Have it that the Dark Order did attack the Bucks, Callis thinks he manipulated them into doing it, only to realize that they've actually joined the House of Black instead, leading to him/Nak/Cutler getting nuked).

• Like 3

Since I'm sure people are dying to know, I watched both Bock vs Nord (the Barbarian, not yet a viking). matches (one in June, right before Bock is given the title and one in August, building on the last one now that Bock has it). And they're pretty good. They play well into my Bock GWE case (https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/28667-nick-bockwinkel/page/2/#comment-5732493) as you can see another role with him as a relatively undersized babyface trying to chip away at a monster heel, which is not how he fought Hansen at all. In the first match, it was more back and forth with Bock as an aggressor trying one technique or target after the next and failing. Nord had a couple of big bumps, one into the corner, one over the top and generally looked credible on offense. There was a great moment early when Bock couldn't get a headlock to work and Nord just choked the hell out of him and tossed him and Bock had this look of awe and disbelief on his face. All good stuff. It had a bit of a BS finish where Al-Kassie got on the apron and Bock broke the sleeper to go after him letting Nord kick him in the face and get a pin with a hand on the rope.

That set up the second match which had Bock much more on the defensive. Some pretty good arm stuff here and very good selling from Bock. Probably a better overall match though there was quite a novelty to the first one. These were perfectly solid and nothing in them bugged me in the least. I was probably better off watching a few gifs of the Omega match and watching these in full.

And it's best that's all I say about that.

I guess one more thing..

After the lucha set came out, I really struggled trying to understand what I was watching. I spent a year on Segunda Caida watching three matches a week to try to find patterns and purpose and structure and break the code, and now, looking back years later, the biggest disconnect I have with a lot of modern lucha, fans, and even luchadores, is that to me, the dives and spots and sequences are a means and not an end. It's very, deeply, thoroughly, clearly an end unto itself for most of the people going nuts over this stuff. And that's ok. But I'm happier not engaging more than that, and everyone else is happier with me not engaging too.

• Like 4

Forgot to mention the Cole/Garcia segment as something I really liked on the show as well. Thought Garcia did particularly excellent there, loved the bit where he stopped short of calling himself a professional wrestler.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Octopus said:

I love how all these factions are interconnected and fighting each other. It feels like an episode of Oz.

Looking at Omega & Page’s relationship as a less rape-y retelling of Beecher & Keller makes a shocking amount of sense…

• Like 1

It’s fun that OZ gets a mention here.  IIRC the Torch had a writer at the time OZ was airing that compared the feuding and fights on the show to pro wresting booking.  The writer (I don’t recall who 20 years later) liked the intricate relationships that helped build the feuds to a pay off.  

The first season of Spartacus was also VERY good “wrestling show” in that regard.

Man I can’t help but heap more praise on Omega/Vikingo.  What a great match.

AEW continues to be the only place I can settle down and watch wrestling.  

I love you AEW.

• Like 2

Nah, Blitzkrieg's career was perfect.  Came out of nowhere, gave us 25 TV matches of some of the wackiest flips you've ever seen, and then disappeared as suddenly as his came because he could make more money at his IT job and still have his knees work.  A proper wrestling legend.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Nah, Blitzkrieg's career was perfect.  Came out of nowhere, gave us 25 TV matches of some of the wackiest flips you've ever seen, and then disappeared as suddenly as his came because he could make more money at his IT job and still have his knees work.  A proper wrestling legend.

and sold his gimmick on the way out the door, a true carnie move. The man won at wrestling

• Like 7