DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE - 3/22/2023!

DEAN

You gotta think someone from the E was watching the show tonight and said "Holy shit, we need that guy". I'm dead serious too. Vikingos fluidity and smoothness was unparalleled. The guy doesn't botch. Absolute freak of nature and someone I want to see more of desperately.

Can we get Vikingo through the Forbidden Door for a match with Hiromu?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tangential, but to everyone's point about Vikingo, WWE absolutely CANNOT afford to fuck up Dragon Lee. He has to be a major star within a year if they want to have any chance in future luchador sweepstakes.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Krone said:

You gotta think someone from the E was watching the show tonight and said "Holy shit, we need that guy". I'm dead serious too. Vikingos fluidity and smoothness was unparalleled. The guy doesn't botch. Absolute freak of nature and someone I want to see more of desperately.

Can we get Vikingo through the Forbidden Door for a match with Hiromu?

Supposedly they contacted komander immediately after his dynamite debut. I’d hope aew has some kind of safeguards here. Aaa is in charge of all his bookings here and for the first few weeks they didn’t allow his matches to be streamed anywhere, but I think gcw worked out a deal and then his matches could stream. 

I don’t want to take away from vikingo because that was freakin awesome, but yeeeeessss main event Kenny is back. Yes. 

• Like 1

Fun opening trios, Sting with Darby & Orange ruled as expected. Another excellent Stu Grayson performance against Moxley, solid match. I was buying Skye Blue's near falls on the Code Blue and follow up rollup, she is great.

Absolutely incredible main event, definitely lived up to the Dream Match hype. Always love having Kenny's solo Noooooorth Carolinaaaaa intro back. All of Vikingo's biggest spots were amazing. the dragon rana, springboard poison rana, and that 630 dive through the table was wild. Great stuff! Enjoyed the post-match chaos again, especially liked Hangman's badass ambulance return. 

• Like 2

Love heel BCC. It's tough because the crowd never wants to boo them, but are willing to as long as they are against Hangman (still so over! still such a classic white meat babyface!) and Kenny (a great wrestler). So, tough to make undercard guys off them, because of how beloved they are, but I like them as realistic obstacles for Page etc. I think the Elite are best as heels, but the crowd never wants to let them be that for some reason. Adam Cole should be a face, so I am excited to see him do that even though he is not my cup of tea. 

Who is the better casual bisexual in AEW? Ricky Starks or Daniel Garcia? Maybe they are both straight! Just going on vibes here. Both charming and terrifying and I think are natural enemies. Would love to see them talk shit at each other and then grapple at a high level. A lot of business with jackets and sunglasses. 

Toni has a classic "Dick Jacket." I am pro Dick Jackets. Only dicks have these jackets and you know they are dicks because they wear them.  Doesn't always work but it does let you know how you should feel about the performer. Billy Kidman's WWE run was a classic example. Love the development of Skye Blue. She has had a really natural growth. Love Pipe Riho. Hope this all becomes Blood and Guts. 

GTV is stupid but fine. A little dated but that is the nature of pro wrestling. Pulling from Popstar: Never Stop Not Stopping etc.  Anything that allows Hobbs to be on the show every week and have people around him to make him a heel is good because nobody wants to boo him because he kicks ass and his book thing is so vague as to be meaningless. 

Vikingo and Kenny was a delight. I love Kenny (and AJ, in this same way) as a guy you throw into dream matches that the audience will show up to watch. He is not my favorite pro wrestler (or sports entertainer) but I absolutely want to see him wrestle Vikingo or Ibushi or Claudio or Ospreay or many, many other people. But the real superstar who can do any style of match with anyone who shows up from anywhere in the world is Orange Cassidy. 

• Like 6

Wow! Worth it!

Seeing OC get in the mood and put that much effort into his face paint was quite surprising. Entertaining stuff in the opener. I wonder who will challenge OC next?

What was that thing about hotels on QTV? I have a feeling I missed a really good inside joke there. Hobbs vs Penta is natural progression.

The FTR career stipulation is a very good way to build suspense. Are they leaving or staying? You'll know after that match.

Stokley trying to get out of the match with not only a shitty doctor's note but also attempting to retire right then and there was spectacular. He did better for himself than I expected, but he's dead now.

The Young Bucks attacked by BCC smells fishy, but them attacking Omega after the match did point into that direction. Red herring all the same? Find out in a few weeks, I guess?

Ok, Adam Cole is back and that's nice. Garcia being the first opponent makes sense, but the way some people feel about Cole is pretty much how I feel about Garcia, and I'm not talking about how DEAN feel about Cole, either.

Toni and Skye Blue ended up having quite the competitive match there! Nowhere near a squash. I definitely second @The Idiot King 's love for Skye Blue's growth, but it seems so sudden that I'm a bit iffy on the part about it being natural. Also, I'm not 100% sure if we are talking about the same thing here?

Apart from a few clips this was the first Vikingo match I've seen and yeah, that's the stuff right there. My bold prediction of high spots came true. Don Callis just can't not stirr shit, now can he?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krone said:

The guy doesn't botch. Absolute freak of nature and someone I want to see more of desperately.

Oh, he botches. Last night, he didn't botch. But overall? Yeah. he does.

Rey was 20 when he debuted against Malenko in WCW. In a sense there is much similarity between that match and Kenny v Vikingo, albeit total products of each time periods respective style. Rey however, was three times the worker Vikingo is and he has to strike more balance for longevity sake. Yes the match was designed as a total showcase for Vikingo, but I’ve seen enough of him prior to know it’s a regular pattern. Absolutely he is money but there has to be more than big spot, sell, big spot. 

Admire Kenny giving the whole match over to him and it was wildly entertaining. Given his lengthy rehab, Kenny really needs to stop with the multiple high angle bumps however, it’s just too much. 

Not MOTYC for me but I did love it for what is was.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I don't care how much they want, give AAA whatever amount of money they ask for so you can have Vikingo full time in AEW. 

So, every Wednesday and the odd PPV weekend. I think it's doable.

Last night had two different matches where you thought they might pull the trigger on a guy and didn't. I get Vikingo not going over Omega, but after dropping the fall last week I really feel like Grayson should've gotten his win back here. Put him over so BCC have a real reason to go buck on him afterwards.

Why oh why do they still do angles where Wrestler A does something behind Wrestler B's back to put heat on Wrestlers B and C and it never gets followed up on? Does no one have Internet access there?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Love the idea of Sato as a huge OC fan.

I do love that Sato married Betty Niccoli, settled in the US and became a truck driver of all things. He's owning the road his way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Feel like there's going to be a swerve over who really attacked the Bucks from this.

Totally agree.  I think Callis is going to end up being behind it. He's obviously trying to drive a wedge between Kenny and his friends.

Also, BCC coming out in black hoodies with the hoods up for Mox's match lends itself nicely to someone in disguise as them attacking the Bucks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Why oh why do they still do angles where Wrestler A does something behind Wrestler B's back to put heat on Wrestlers B and C and it never gets followed up on? Does no one have Internet access there?

This was my only nitpick about this week's show - unless they subvert the trope and have Kenny kick off Rampage or next week's show by saying 'Yeah, I watched the replay, just want to apologize to Hangman...' of course that's not much of a story, though. 

Otherwise? Top to bottom one of the best Dynamites in a real long time. 

Everyone making the Rey/Vikingo comparison is spot on - I word for word said the same thing on the couch after that first ridiculous poison Rana from the top. Dude is special. 

(Side note: Im noticing a pattern where every time AEW hires a Mexican, they're *fucking awesome.* Time to renew my once-per-decade efforts to get more seriously into lucha. Please allow this post to serve as formal notice for Troma and the other fellas in that folder that more dumb-ass questions from me are incoming).

Completely understand (and don't disagree) with anyone saying Vikingo deserved a moment after that one, but for me personally, these Nitro-style beatdown and/or cliffhanger endings are part of what's been missing from the recipe for far too long; so count me as part of the vocal minority who absolutely loved the post-match angle - YMMV

• Like 2

You know how YUTA had to wrestle Danielson (and fight Moxley) to get initiated into the BCC?

Wouldn't it be cool if the backstage beatdown on Stu Grayson was stage 2 of him getting jumped in, and he's now the new 4th member on the sly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Skye Blue v T. Storm for me

This match made me realize, I was a little overly harsh on Skye last week when we were talking Jade challengers, and I said that she needed a lot more work - she was really, really good last night except for one notable exception, so I guess the real post I should have made is:

'Skye should stop doing that crouching-crossover-enziguri thing, cause it looks like she's underwater - and everything else is looking more crisp with every outing; good on her'

Of course, dance partners matter - so obvious kudos to Storm here as well

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So, every Wednesday and the odd PPV weekend. I think it's doable.

Last night had two different matches where you thought they might pull the trigger on a guy and didn't. I get Vikingo not going over Omega, but after dropping the fall last week I really feel like Grayson should've gotten his win back here. Put him over so BCC have a real reason to go buck on him afterwards.

Imagine having Vikingo on house shows and also the ROH tapings (where he'd be with more of his style guys).

I agree about pulling the trigger, but the answer was Skye Blue. The up-and-comers need a win against the Outcasts to keep it from going stale(r) and Skye is ready for a big win and not just another competitive loss.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I did appreciate when Jericho called MJF out on this by saying “we all watch the show” back during the MJF Inner Circle Odessy 

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

What was that thing about hotels on QTV? 

Dave Meltzer tweeted something about wrestling companies not paying for hotels then Tony K had to weight in saying he does pay for hotels. Then Dave’s twitter got hacked 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a way to make it work and the way to make it work would have been having Kenny outright punch Hangman and the two of them get into it immediately based on what happened. After that, even if there's some understanding that something more was going on, there's still bad blood.

• Like 6