DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Five years ago, both Luton and Coventry were just getting promoted out of League Two. Ten days from now, one of them will be Premier League-bound.

The most batshit league in the world sends two of the most batshit club stories to the playoff final. I love this game.

11 hours ago, cubbymark said:

I don’t think the world is quite ready for Millwall in the PL.

I wasn’t prepared for the curb stomping Manchester City gave Real Madrid, but I’m here for it. Julian Alvarez is a beast.

After last year's debacle at the Bernabeu I was optimistic we might get a BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD result but I wasn't seriously expecting them to go out there taking souls like that. Egad.

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

MLS has officially added it's 30th team for... reasons

San Diego will begin play in 2025

Quality of play has gone to shit because of too many fucking teams so of course let's add another! My good friend Big Jake put it best: MLS is a Ponzi Scheme.

As a fan of Cambridge United, I'm legally and morally mandated to Laugh about what happened to Peterborough. Won the first leg of the League One playoffs 4-0... then proceeded to give up a +8 Injury time goal to tie the playoff, take the lead in Extra Time, only to give THAT up, and then lose on Penalties.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/18/sheffield-wednesday-peterborough-jaw-dropping-leeague-one-playoff-comeback

So ahem, (points) HA HA!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

As a fan of Cambridge United, I'm legally and morally mandated to Laugh about what happened to Peterborough. Won the first leg of the League One playoffs 4-0... then proceeded to give up a +8 Injury time goal to tie the playoff, take the lead in Extra Time, only to give THAT up, and then lose on Penalties.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/18/sheffield-wednesday-peterborough-jaw-dropping-leeague-one-playoff-comeback

So ahem, (points) HA HA!

Did you read Rushden’s article about watching the Cambridge match while live on talksport? 

On 5/13/2023 at 4:57 AM, The Natural said:

Spare a thought for Sheffield Wednesday. 96 points total is the highest ever in the EFL without automatic promotion. Sheffield Wednesday get twatted 4-0 at Peterborough United in the League One first leg of their semi-final last night. Peterborough were 19 points behind the Owls. This will really sting along with Sheffield United getting back into the Premier League finishing 2nd in the Championship. It takes a lot for a team to finish third to win the play-offs as it's a downer missing out on automatic promotion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65553765

Football. Bloody hell.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

So ahem, (points) HA HA!

It's funny because the U's literally needed a win and two other results to bounce their way just to stay in League 1 on the last day. Schadenfreude can be dangerous in the wrong hands... from one who knows.

Oh, I know, Pete. That's what makes it extra schadenreudy. Posh were laughing that they were going to be in the Championship and Cambridge in League Two next year.

(oh, and one of the wins that Cambridgeneeded in the run up was against the Posh)

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:21 PM, The Natural said:

1-0 to the Bantams. Walker. Get in!

On 5/14/2023 at 9:27 PM, The Natural said:

FT. Get in!

Carlisle United 2-0 Bradford City right now. The second in ET scored by a former City player adding insult to injury. 2-1 aggregate. 15 minutes left. Can't see City scoring. Fuck.

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Carlisle United 2-0 Bradford City right now. The second in ET scored by a former City player adding insult to injury. 2-1 aggregate. 15 minutes left. Can't see City scoring. Fuck.

2-1. 2-2 Agg. Fuck yeah. Wish away goals counted.

Edited by The Natural
3-1 Carlisle United now. Bastards. Not on Sky Sports now getting replaced with Nottingham Forest vs. Arsenal in the Premier League. You fucked up, Sky.

Bayern lost to Red Bull yesterday, which means that for the first time in ages there is an actual real decision on the final matchday. There was a theoretical decision on the final day in 2019 I believe, but then a draw would have been sufficient for then league leaders Bayern. 

Dortmund are now only one point behind and have a chance to take the top spot, should they win in Augsburg. The goal differential however tips the scale in Bayern's favour. 

On the other end of the spectrum, Hertha drew 1-1 at home, relegating the big Club from the Bundesliga. Depending on what Stuttgart can do in Mainz and how the afromentioned Augsburg v Dortmund play out, there will be between four and six teams who can take either the remaining relegation or the playoff spot. 

If I'm Pep there isn't a big enough gift basket in the UNIVERSE to send Steve Cooper. He helped save the City legs for a third match... who knows how valuable that could be for the club in the long run?

Russell Martin has verbally agreed to become Southampton's new boss. Mixed feelings on this as he was the former Swansea boss. Possession style football and got the double double vs Cardiff. However the club was very inconsistent under his reign. 

I’m curious if Southampton is going to be as patient as Swansea were with Martin if they get a string of bad results, especially if they plan on immediate promotion.

Liga MX playoff finals will be Tigers UANL vs Chivas Guadalajara. Both teams defeated derby rivals in the semifinals, Monterrey and America respectively.