DVDVR Message Board

Pro Wrestling's HIDDEN GEMS.. !!

On 3/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, Zimbra said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivN1d8Bl60

I will keep pimping this match until it is no longer a hidden gem: Terry Funk, Dustin Rhodes, JBL vs Jerry Lawler & Too Much from Shotgun in 98.  10 minutes of near-perfect tv wrestling.

Christopher and Taylor were such good stooges. The platonic ideal of Memphis heels, dirty fighters always looking for a shortcut and never afraid to embarrass themselves to get the face over in the comeback.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, James F'n X said:

Christopher and Taylor were such good stooges. The platonic ideal of Memphis heels, dirty fighters always looking for a shortcut and never afraid to embarrass themselves to get the face over in the comeback.

Oh yeah, absolutely a team that I didn't appreciate at the time but love going back to now.

I feel like the Gunns are doing a great job as the modern successors to the PG-13/Too Much Shitass Heel Tag Team throne.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Oh yeah, absolutely a team that I didn't appreciate at the time but love going back to now.

I feel like the Gunns are doing a great job as the modern successors to the PG-13/Too Much Shitass Heel Tag Team throne.

Austin is the closest we have to a Brian Christopher while Colton is definitely his father's son.

Did Billy Gunn ever spend time in Memphis  before his WWF run with Bart?

Does anybody remember an 8 man tag with the Sid Vicious Horsemen? In it Arn Anderson lost a wrestling sequence and sold it silly like he didn’t usually do. It was something like Flair would have done, only even more silly like Steve Regal or Rip Rogers or somebody being just plain silly in the midcard. Him acting silly in that match was used in bumpers for a long time. I only saw the match 1 day at a friend’s house on what I think was actually the WGN Pro show but I could be wrong on that part. I know I saw it and recognized the Arn Anderson part after having seen the bumpers 100 times.

Googling I found The Horsemen vs The Southern Boys, Tim Horner and Allen Iron Eagle which might have been it. I can’t find a video of it or any other Horsemen 8 Man’s from the time. 

32 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Googling I found The Horsemen vs The Southern Boys, Tim Horner and Allen Iron Eagle which might have been it.

Would these be the Wild-eyed Southern Boys? Or some other tandem with more normal eyes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PURO ARCHIVE ARE PUTTING STUFF UP ON YOUTUBE

https://www.youtube.com/@puroarchive

I WATCHED THIS REALLY GOOD PWFG vs. MICHINOKU PRO CARD (THAT IS SENSIBLY CLIPPED TO AN HOUR-LONG BROADCAST)
SHINJIRO OHTANI MURDERED FUNAKI
ISHIKAWA VS. IKEDA ACTION
NICE LONG MAIN EVENT WHERE TAKA MICHINOKU SLOWLY REALIZES FUCKING WITH YOSHIAKI FUJIWARA IS A WAY WAY WAY BAD IDEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWRnCjTlQVs

I have been digging through this stuff on archive.org and if it stays up (yes I'm aware of the legal drama) it'll serve me well for the rest of my life. It's probably why I haven't subbed to RoH yet. They aren't putting everything up (like the prime HUSTLE I've been reassessing) but if you have even a passing interest in wrestler-produced Korakuen Hall weirdo-dream-match cards, LLPW, Inoki side projects, WAR handhelds, deep cut lucharesu, Emi Sakura wrestling in a mall in Singapore, etc., this place is a gold mine sitting on top of a platinum mine.

Everybody click a random thing that jumps out to you, watch it, and report back. No you can't all pick "Kushinbo Kamen Produce".

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

Ok, look.  I don't know if these count because they have been discussed but maybe not much in recent years.  At least not around here.  Whether they are "gems" or not is another debate but if anyone is interested there's back-to-back MSG house shows from Sept. '77 and Oct. '77 where Dusty Rhodes challenges Superstar Billy Graham for the WWWF title. This is what Cody was referencing about the if's and what could have beens with Dusty as a champion up north.  

The first bout is a regular match and the rematch is the old Texas Death Match.   I love them.  Word is Vince Sr. already had Backlund lined up and for various reasons they just never went with Dusty up north as the guy and it's really unfortunate.  The crowd LOVES him here..  he's super over and super charismatic.  Superstar looks like a million bucks. Are they the best worked matches?  No, but they are worth watching for the history behind it and the crowd reactions and theatrics.  

• Like 1

Backlund's title defense vs. Sgt. Slaughter 5.23.83 at MSG.  The lead up to this is Slaughter had attacked Backlund and beat the shit out of him with the swagger stick, leaving welts on the champion.  Backlund cuts a promo about respect before we get going.  Backlund enters the arena and the MSG crowd goes nuts for him.  Slaughter enters to his theme. Big fight feel. Backlund gets off to a hot start and Slaughter is bumping around like a madman as he usually would and the match carries on from there but man,  loved this too. 

• Like 2

Very short match below from AJPW years ago, Triple Crown Champion Jun Akiyama vs Masa Funaki from 8-26-12, the match is a hybrid of 90's shoot Pancrase style and the Royal Road....

• Like 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQdZAxskVk

Buzz Sawyer vs Victor Zangiev 8/5/89.  

A cool little exhibition match.  Lots of meaty suplexes and amateur-style matwork before Buzz gets fired up and uses the power of pro wrestling to grab the win.

Zangiev also does maybe the single best judo throw I've seen in a wrestling match.

• Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 6:50 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bret Hart vs. Ricky Steamboat 3/8/86 at the Boston Garden.  This show is on the network.  I'm not even done watching this match yet but I'm really into, pal. This is good shit!

Man, I was coincidentally just reading you talk about that match in the Omnibus thread this morning, and I cannot for the life of me remember if I've I already seen it or not. Would you happen to know off the top of your head if this was on the old stand-alone Network as part of the 'Dungeon Collection?'

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man, I was coincidentally just reading you talk about that match in the Omnibus thread this morning, and I cannot for the life of me remember if I've I already seen it or not. Would you happen to know off the top of your head if this was on the old stand-alone Network as part of the 'Dungeon Collection?'

I am not sure about that, I did not see the 'Dungeon Collection' but this is a really good match worth watching for sure.  

17 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I am not sure about that, I did not see the 'Dungeon Collection' but this is a really good match worth watching for sure.  

Shit, I remember seeing that match on a tape of Prime Time my pal recorded when we were in high school.  It blew our 16 year old minds.

• Like 1

Bret vs Ricky is on The Best There Is, Was, and Will Be DVD set. 

Here’s 1 that’s neat to go back and watch as some kind of smart fan or whatever we are. It’s some of the sloppiest work but because it was 6 of the best anytime, anywhere on the card type guys in 1 ring the sloppy slack was accounted for every time. All of the timing was off on the moves but whoever was getting the move done to them was able adjust or oversell or whatever they had to do. Those backdrops all but the last 1 by Dustin, the guy had to roll through it late on his own. On the crossbody Steve went way to high to early but James was able to lean back and catch him somehow. Really solid work...to make up for the sloppy work lol! 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 2

I don't know if anyone will believe me, but last night I watched a match from 2005 that was surprisingly great.  It could be the best match that either of these two performers ever had.  Unfortunately, the only way to see it is on IWTV.

JAPW Fall Out.  November 12, 2005

Teddy Hart vs Trent Acid, Falls Count Anywhere.

I was at this show, but I did not recall how awesome this match was.   No memory of it at all

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

I don't know if anyone will believe me, but last night I watched a match from 2005 that was surprisingly great.  It could be the best match that either of these two performers ever had.  Unfortunately, the only way to see it is on IWTV.

JAPW Fall Out.  November 12, 2005

Teddy Hart vs Trent Acid, Falls Count Anywhere.

I was at this show, but I did not recall how awesome this match was.   No memory of it at all

Trent Acid after leaving CZW had some great matches in Pro Wrestling Unplugged and elsewhere, but by the time he wound up back in CZW in 2008 he was washed

The 05-07 stuff is well worth going out of your way to track down

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2023 at 12:43 AM, BloodyChamp said:

Bret vs Ricky is on The Best There Is, Was, and Will Be DVD set. 

for some weird reason, I was drifting down the thread, saw "Bret vs Ricky" and thought it was a Bret Hart vs Ricky Morton match.. which would have been interesting but probably not as good as Bret vs Ricky Steamboat

• Like 1