DVDVR Message Board

Pro Wrestling's HIDDEN GEMS.. !!

Okay, so I have been watching A LOT of old school wrasslin' of late whether on Peacock or on YouTube etc.  I had seen most of WWF or JCP's big events from those days but there's so many matches that have I don't want to say been forgotten but certainly not discussed much and I need to find them and I need to see them.  So let's get a thread going here where we can list some cool finds that maybe a lot of people haven't seen.  FOR EXAMPLE..  Piper vs. Brisco 1982 MCW.  It's on Peacock, the whole episode is one hour of tremendous television.  I had never seen it but clips were posted on Twitter so then I went and watched the episode. 

Vintage Puroresu プロレス on Twitter: "Jack Brisco vs. Roddy Piper. Clips don’t do justice to this master class where every hold, movement & facial expression amplifies the struggle for the Mid-Atlantic title, a $10k winner’s prize & personal pride. (7.7.1982) 🌟 https://t.co/EUTFM5X1oI" / Twitter

• Like 2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFCA8v4WlfU&t=5s

Sting vs. Cactus Jack. WCW Power Hour, 21st November 1991. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from WWF Survivor Series 1996 gets overshadowed by their WWF WrestleMania 13 match. Both are *****. I feel this Sting/Cactus Jack is slept on compared to the WCW Beach Blast 1992 match. Personally I think this is the better of the two by far and a hidden gem of both men's career. A match that needs talking up more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recommend from NWA World Championship Wrestling (Sat night), September 19, 1987, The Rock 'n' Roll Express vs Tully & Arn in a full length No Disqualification match for the World Tag Team titles.

Damn, I thought this thread was going to tell me that they were bringing back "Hidden Gems" on Peacock!!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Okay, so I have been watching A LOT of old school wrasslin' of late whether on Peacock or on YouTube etc.  I had seen most of WWF or JCP's big events from those days but there's so many matches that have I don't want to say been forgotten but certainly not discussed much and I need to find them and I need to see them.  So let's get a thread going here where we can list some cool finds that maybe a lot of people haven't seen.  FOR EXAMPLE..  Piper vs. Brisco 1982 MCW.  It's on Peacock, the whole episode is one hour of tremendous television.  I had never seen it but clips were posted on Twitter so then I went and watched the episode. 

Vintage Puroresu プロレス on Twitter: "Jack Brisco vs. Roddy Piper. Clips don’t do justice to this master class where every hold, movement & facial expression amplifies the struggle for the Mid-Atlantic title, a $10k winner’s prize & personal pride. (7.7.1982) 🌟 https://t.co/EUTFM5X1oI" / Twitter

Oooo, if this the exhibition match in the studio where they do all the amature stuff to start (I'm in a waiting room and cant watch), that's some of the best shit ever. It vanished offline for awhile too. If you ever had any doubts about the talent of Roddy Piper, watch THAT.

Edited by Curt McGirt

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFCA8v4WlfU&t=5s

Sting vs. Cactus Jack. WCW Power Hour, 21st November 1991. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from WWF Survivor Series 1996 gets overshadowed by their WWF WrestleMania 13 match. Both are *****. I feel this Sting/Cactus Jack is slept on compared to the WCW Beach Blast 1992 match. Personally I think this is the better of the two by far and a hidden gem of both men's career. A match that needs talking up more.

The match was originally aired on Worldwide, which featured "Submit or Surrender" as main events for a month in 1991.

• Like 1

3/25/84 - MSG.  Another absolute gem from the 'Old School' section on Peacock. The match you need to see is Andre The Giant & Jimmy Snuka vs. Roddy Piper and David Schultz. This is wonderful.  I must be on a heel Roddy Piper kick. I don't want to spoil for anyone who hasn't seen this.  Andre The Giant is put into a predicament that we almost never see. That's all I'll say.  Madison Square Garden is on fire for this.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

will keep pimping this match until it is no longer a hidden gem: Terry Funk, Dustin Rhodes, JBL vs Jerry Lawler & Too Much from Shotgun in 98.  10 minutes of near-perfect tv wrestling.

I have not seen or thought about this since it aired, and thought I'd imagined it! For some reason, my memories of the short lived 2 Cold/Terry Funk team on Shotgun are much more vivid. Really looking forward to getting this in tonight before Dark 

This was on a Schneider comp back when and I've always dug it.  Goto cuts off Tenryu's boot so he can pound on his ankle, and Tenryu counters by kicking Goto in the face with his bare foot.  Lots of semi-unprofessional punches and lariats are thrown, so it's got a real "two old guys fighting at the sake bar" vibe in parts. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

So, is this thread now just the same as the "not from now" one? 

Technically, the bar should be higher on this one, since the other thread only had the "not recent" qualifyer, while this should have "hard to find" or "forgotten classic", right? How it plays out, however, is anyone's guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andre the Giant, Dusty Rhodes and Junkyard Dog vs. The Wild Samoans and Ernie Ladd (Mid-South, January 6, 1982)

First time I ever saw this was on a dollar-store VHS called Andre The Giant: The Missing Matches in terrible quality, but I always loved it!

Anyone else have these VHS tapes?

287083658_7677998448907943_3424862420650

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 2

Another one from a Schneider comp that didn't seem to be on the internet anywhere: Crusher Blackwell vs Butch Reed from Central States.  A pretty simple match: Blackwell is gigantic and more experienced, Butch Reed is fired up and strong as hell.  Blackwell is a pretty agile fat guy and really gets up for his stuff and Reed really oozes charisma and times all his comebacks well.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Andre the Giant, Dusty Rhodes and Junkyard Dog vs. The Wild Samoans and Ernie Ladd (Mid-South, January 6, 1982)

First time I ever saw this was on a dollar-store VHS called Andre The Giant: The Missing Matches in terrible quality, but I always loved it!

Anyone else have these VHS tapes?

287083658_7677998448907943_3424862420650

That match (possibly clipped) is on the WWE Peacock Mid South channel, it's a fun one.

• Like 1

It's not clipped.  It's a TV taping studio match from Irish Mcneil Boys Club and it only lasts 6 1/2 minutes.   Not exactly a hidden gem, when it has been around forever.  Also available on the WWE DVD set "Legends of Mid-South Wrestling".   And of course it's on the DVDVR Mid-South set

Edited by paul sosnowski

On 3/21/2023 at 5:22 PM, twiztor said:

i just watched this match last night and was surprised that i'd never heard of it happening. From WCW Worldwide 4/17/93, NWA Champ Barry Windham vs. (babyface!) Steve Regal!

https://youtu.be/L4M0l393M_s?t=1629

Regal was a "friend of Davey Boy Smith" during his first babyface run before he was reintroduced as a Lord.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, Zimbra said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivN1d8Bl60

I will keep pimping this match until it is no longer a hidden gem: Terry Funk, Dustin Rhodes, JBL vs Jerry Lawler & Too Much from Shotgun in 98.  10 minutes of near-perfect tv wrestling.

That sounds good. I have a match that goes here that I posted before and called it the greatest TV match of alltime by definition of TV match, and not necessarily match that aired on TV in which was broadcasted lol! Aka 10 minutes.

Young Eddie and Chris on a whole other level, if you can even imagine an upper level with them. They believed in WCW for a long time even though they wouldn’t admit it. You can tell here. It was everything possible within their 10 minutes. 

I'm having trouble finding the match, but Kallisto/Baron Corbin Chairs match from TLC 2016.  Just a tremendous match that took me by surprise by how good it was.  I don't see it mentioned much, but for some reason, it stuck with me as being really damn fun and probably one of my favorites from either Kallisto or Corbin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm having trouble finding the match, but Kallisto/Baron Corbin Chairs match from TLC 2016.  Just a tremendous match that took me by surprise by how good it was.  I don't see it mentioned much, but for some reason, it stuck with me as being really damn fun and probably one of my favorites from either Kallisto or Corbin.

I have fond memories of that.  I probably haven't seen it since it aired though.  By the way, you don't have to post a link to every match, if it's something accessible on Peacock or whatever just tell us where to find it 🙂

Edited by Niners Fan in CT