DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 3/20 - 3/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Two weeks to WrestleMania!

Roman Reigns appears tonight, I'll bet he'll have words for Cody. 

Also, Austin Theory will fight Montez Ford in a non-title match.

Finally, you'll be able to fast forward for at least 15 minutes or so, as Jake Paul will host an episode of ImPaulSive.  

• Like 1

Austin Theory and Montez Ford have a match!  Theory is good.  Ford is spectacular.  Theory is great at selling Ford's offense and Ford is great on offense.  Theory takes a DDT like a freak and Ford follows up with a beautiful Tope Con Hilo.  Theory hits a Dropkick and his crappy looking finisher for the win.  That was good.  It's Dominik Mysterio!  Johnny Gargano has DDPed his ribs.  Dom is good making Gargano look like a million bucks.  And then he is good getting the crowd behind his STRUGGLE to escape Mysterio's Eddie Guerrero-inspired heel offense.  Dom CHEATS with his feet on the ropes!  FOR TWO!  Super Kick by Gargano FOR TWO!  Super Kick by Gargano FOR TWO!  Gargano is all spunky in this.  Toprope FACEBUSTER and Love Machine Splash FOR THE WIN by Dominik!  That was great.  POSTMATCH!  Dom soaks up the hatred of the fans.  HEY! It's Rhea Ripley and Bayley!  They are LAYING IT IN!  GNARLY knee to the face by Rhea Ripley.  Dakota Kai CHEATS by raking Ripley's eyes!  Big Time Bex, Lita and Trish Stratus show up!  Bayley has Ripley on the ropes!  Ripley gets her Inverted Texas Cloverleaf!  Bayley hits the ropes!  Trish and Lita take out IYO SKY and Dakota Kai!  BEX and Bayley FACE-OFF giving Ripley the opening to hit the Riptide!  That was really good.  Bayley looked great.  It's Ricochet and Chad Gable in a battle of the two best in-ring dudes in the WWE.  This is Malenko/Guerrero 2023 except they have an awkward moment on the toprope.  Running Shooting Star Press by Ricochet.  Gable assumes the Malenko role by taking Ricochet to the mat.  GREAT sequence into an Ankle Locl by Gable.  DRAGON SUPLEX by Gable!  Fucking awesome.  Otis is guided away by Maxine Dupree which signals that Gable isn't winning.  Ricochet hits a Shooting Star Press for the win.  That was good.  Could have used more time.  Chelsea Green and Piper Niven are tagging for reasons I fast forwarded through.  Asuka is tagging with Bianca Belair- so she can turn on her, I'm assuming.  Chelsea Green looks good.  Belair KODs Piper Niven!  Asuka then beats on Bianca Belair!  That was fine.  That was a good little wad of wrestling.

• Like 2

I can't wait to see what happens after Usos lose the titles and Jey is blamed for accepting the match.  That and the sit down with Roman were aces.  It was also weird hearing Roman and Cody freely mention AEW without saying the letters.  But it's almost a good kind of weird that added some much needed tension for their match.  The rest of the show was whatever but the bookends were pretty great.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

The opening segment was one for the ages. KO and Sami are just the absolute best together. You can tell their relationship is absolutely real. KO also has the best sense of humor of any wrestling character ever. And Kevin's explanation about why he was so mad at Sami also was just yet another masterful job at explaining his psychology the past few months -- he knew before anyone else what we've come to know, and that Sami is as good as anyone to ever do it.

I loved the touch of Jey being the one who wants the match. Of course he does, since Sami has been making him confront what everyone knows is the truth. It was a perfect next step to get to the match. 

I don't care if it headlines WM or not. I want this match to get about 30 minutes of time. It's arguably the best built storyline the WWE has ever done. It's the most anticipated tag team match in WWE history, and I don't think "arguably" needs to be included as a qualifier. It's The Usos and Sami/KO -- four of the absolute best wrestlers alive, at the peak of their powers. They are going to tear the f'n house down. 

Man, they're even making Cody grow on me. 

• Like 4

The Usos vs. Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn has to go on last at WrestleMania XXXIX Night 1. It's the only option. It's the biggest, hottest match. None of which applies to Charlotte/Rhea and I'm all for treating men and women equally. If that main events, it'll be Triple H/Jericho and Triple H/Orton all over again. How refreshing would it be to have the tag team titles headline.

The opening segment with Sami, KO, and the Usos was good. Dug the aftermath with Jey and Roman as well. It leaned into to the main event segment with Cody and Roman.

Ford/Theory was good. As was Dom/Johnny.

Rhea/Bayley was random and a little off but solid.

Gable/Ricochet was pretty damn good. Loved how much the crowd got into things by the end. It helped the ending with Maxine leading Otis away work well.

Bianca/Asuka vs. Piper/Chelsea happened. Match was fine, but it was mostly a squash with it serving more to finally have things boil over between Asuka & Bianca. Feels like a place we should have hit at least a couple of weeks ago.

The final segment between Cody and Roman was good. Everyone reacted so perfectly to what was said. Looking forward to Solo/Cody. i just hope its not Solo's first direct loss.  

Romans line about Cody leaving his own creation because he couldn’t get over is savagery. It’s actually part of the reason I didn’t like Cody for a long time “oh things are tough here, I’m gonna leave” but dammit he’s grown on me the last few weeks. 

I do worry how Cody handles the fans eventually turning on him because (to me) he’s a one trick pony but for now that trick is over big time. 

12 minutes ago, peterien said:

Romans line about Cody leaving his own creation because he couldn’t get over is savagery. It’s actually part of the reason I didn’t like Cody for a long time “oh things are tough here, I’m gonna leave” but dammit he’s grown on me the last few weeks. 

I do worry how Cody handles the fans eventually turning on him because (to me) he’s a one trick pony but for now that trick is over big time. 

It's not like he hasn't had long heel runs before. I think he'll do fine.

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's not like he hasn't had long heel runs before. I think he'll do fine.

He doesn't want to turn heel. That was likely part of the problem in AEW.

Well whether he likes it or not, he won't have much choice if the WWE wants it .  Which for at least a good year or so they don't.   The way I can see a heel turn happen is if they book him like Seth Rollins last title reign and the fans just hate him so much that he has to

Edited by hammerva

I kind of like the idea of Heyman with him, the two of them selling some sort of new American Dream, the "New Heroism." It feels a few years out of date, but there's something in there in the current conservative mentality of a return to a myth of old American values that was probably never a tangible thing in the first place. I'm sure Cody wouldn't want to go full heel with it, but he could be sort of a "something for everyone" with that sort of a character and tap into all sorts of emotions, boos and cheers. 

• Like 1

I love Roman’s reaction as Cody dressed him down. It came off like a sense of realization that what Cody says is going to be true — Roman got the answer from Jimmy that as soon as they lose (and everyone eventually loses) then how Roman treated him is going to come back to haunt him.

• Like 4

You can easily see the next year for Roman playing out, as he loses at WM, we get the big Jey blowoff at MITB or Summerslam, Jey wins, Heyman turns on him somewhere along the way for the next big thing (Solo?) and he hits rock bottom in the fall. Then takes a hiatus, comes back for the Rumble and we get the Rock match at Mania. Neither Jay/Roman nor Rock/Roman need the title

Or, he wins at WM this year and we kick the above can down the road for another year.

• Like 1

This was so so good...   There's so much table setting going on.   Jey vs. Roman seeds continue to be planted.  Solo has also been booked amazingly well.  He has not taken a pin fall or submission loss on the main roster, he's been an absolute killer and again last night he wants to go at Cody, it's Roman who stops him.  

It looks like they have Cody's future mapped out,  probably a big match vs. Gunther down the line.  Maybe a match vs. Solo as well.  

It looks like they have Roman's future planned out, the fall of The Bloodline and a blow off with Main Event Jey Uso.  

• Like 3

Last night was a pretty good show in parts. Loved the opening with KO/Sami and The Uso's.  They've managed to make the hottest tag title match in the WWE in years with this match that got set up.

Ford/Theory was a good match. For some reason I was thinking Ford would win (it's not like Theory needs the title against Cena), but then I remembered Ford is in the showcase 4 way so that thought quickly went away.

Dominik Mysterio is such a dick it's great. He had a really good match against Johnny Gargano. I liked the ending with him frog splashing the injured ribs.

The show started to fall off when they had Bayley vs Rhea for no apparent reason. I mean it was a good match, but the heel vs. heel randomness of it made no sense.

Otis is tremendous in his role. Gable vs. Ricochet was probably the match of the night.

I don't know where Roman and Cody is going. I want Cody to win, but I can see Roman continuing to dominate even with The Bloodline falling apart around him. I don't think The Rock is ever coming back for that match with Roman (though considering he torpedoed the entire DCEU who knows). I just know this WrestleMania is looking good with The Bloodline title matches.

As much as its the hottest thing on the card - I think the tag match should go on night two rather than headline night one.

There's more drama and anticipation around what they've built up in the past few weeks of promos, that if the Usos drop the tag titles, are they now going to come out and cost Roman the title, as it's now front and center rather than what happened last night and 3.5 hrs of night two ago. 

If Cena is going over, I think that headlines night one. HIAC is probably a good choice also (especially if its supposed to be Edge's farewell), but from a logistics/timing standpoint, you probably want that either opening the show or in that midpoint part so they can work around the Hall of Fame inductees or silly backstage stuff while they set up and take down the cell.

Owens and Zayn continue to defy the FFWD button (thinking about renaming it the EDGE button) with their terrific mic work. I may still not give a shit about Jimmy and Jay, but sure let’s have get this duo a Mania match. Theory v Montez was fine. EDGE passed the Omos squash and the insufferable amount of Bloodline skits – Sami was the only reason to ever stop for these. I stop for Logan Paul and I’m not disappointed. Enjoyed the knockout punch montage. Did anybody hear Alvarez thoughtlessly losing his shit over Rollins dive on the security? Geek Bryan could have used a rewatch before planting his flag on such a shitty argument. Logan Paul is a fun heel. Speaking of fun heels - I enjoyed seeing Dom get a clean win on Jobby Gargano. Dom’s really putting it all together. Good promo post match as per usual. Then I EDGE on by the Veteran Drip's long shitty promo. Few things in wrestling bring the finger to the FFWD trigger faster than an ‘Adam’ promo. I wasn't feeling the need for a Rhea promo either. But a nice solid outing v Bayley. Weird heat in this one. I dig the Damage Control, but very little interest in this Trios feud. What a waste of Bayley, Io and Lynch. Gable and Otis always nail their skit shit. Chad Gable v Riccochet was as good as it was allowed to be. I look forward to their future Wednesday night showcase. Where their match would be viewed by ppl who actually care about the wrestling on a show. And where both might actually matter to the overall product. Belair/Asuka v Chelsea/Piper was fine. Regardless of the awful build, Asuka-Belair is sure to be the Mania sleeper. What an incredible finishing spot by Belair-Nevin. Main Event talk segment was strong. EDGEing passed the long Reigns entrance with the hilariously bad animation and rotten Cody theme music (let's hope they get the band for a live performance at Mania!!!). This is the most I’ve enjoyed a Roman promo. And Cody wasn’t over-pontificating nor over-enunciating as he’s prone to generally do. He was on his A game which is where he’s as good as anybody on the Black Foam. Raw, even with the EDGE button in play, has been a slog for me recently, but this one continued the strong talk segment game from Friday. That said, the Wrestling portion on WWETV continues to leave much to be desired.