DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNAMITE!- 3/15/2023!

DEAN

3 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Agreed with the first sentence. Not sure how anyone ever gets elevated beyond "B-level" if they don't get title shots on ppvs as part of a major program though. Not to mention by this logic then pretty much Jericho, Hangman and Omega are the only viable next contenders. 

Jungle Boy was a B-level title defence for Omega and was elevated in the process. It showed he could hang with a top guy even if we wasn't able to beat him yet. That is a story pro wrestling has been telling as long as time. Now whether any of these 3 will be 'elevated' as a result of this program is a different question, but I don't think that's the objective here. The objective is to give Max another win(s) to his run.

10 minutes ago, Steventon said:

OR how about the idea of the Outcasts crossing Jade and Jade joining the uneasy alliance of AEW originals? It seems unlikely as they want to keep the titles very separated away from each other, but would honestly be the most exciting move they could pull for either side right now.

Love this - and you could use the uneasy alliance to speculate if she's going to turn on them at Blood and Guts or whatever the payoff match is. I was sort of speculating/fantasy booking earlier this week that the Outcasts should have Sasha Banks debut there as their Hogan analogue, but if they can't sign her, Jade being 'taken out of the match' beforehand and running out for the save only to side with the heels could be cool. Like Curt Hennig at Wargames '97 but higher stakes.

8 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Damn, I also want to now see JJ against MJF and trying to use all his dirty Memphis tricks to outheel the biggest heel in the company. 

Jarrett could have Jay Lethal throw "battery acid" into MJF's face and have MJF sell the hell out of it.

Not to mention Jarrett using a gold chain in the match and hide it behind his back pressed against the top turnbuckle or hide it in his mouth a la Lawler.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steventon said:

Jungle Boy was a B-level title defence for Omega and was elevated in the process. It showed he could hang with a top guy even if we wasn't able to beat him yet. That is a story pro wrestling has been telling as long as time. Now whether any of these 3 will be 'elevated' as a result of this program is a different question, but I don't think that's the objective here. The objective is to give Max another win(s) to his run.

Fair enough. I just think another perennial story in pro wrestling is that you go through a hot period and then don't main event new guys and then you crash and burn. I'm not even thinking of WCW, New Japan has been going through the same thing for years, WWF went through it when they couldn't get away from Austin, Rock, Undertaker and Helmsley. Like you said, Jungle Boy has already been someone's B-defence and was thusly elevated, we don't really need to see that story play out again with MJF. I'd rather they treat last night as a jumping-off point for a series of major programs (ie, build up MJF vs Jack Perry for the next PPV while Darby and Sammy feud to see who gets the next shot or some variation of such). 

At the time it made perfect sense but I really think going back to Moxley when Punk got hurt actually played a significant part in cooling things off in AEW, especially when they went back to him a second time (first after Punk's injury, then after the fisticuffs). To a certain degree it cemented that they weren't ready to treat anyone other than MJF as being a threat to the already-established guys.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

One last nit pick on a show I liked...

At the end, I don't buy Mox backing down from a fight with the Elite, even if they are outnumbered. The Mox character, as it's been established, would never back down from a fight.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Log said:

One last nit pick on a show I liked...

At the end, I don't buy Mox backing down from a fight with the Elite, even if they are outnumbered. The Mox character, as it's been established, would never back down from a fight.

It plays more into he and BCC turning full heel, right? Like sure the Mox we know and love wouldn’t, but things have changed after he was Hanged by the Man and lost at his own game 

• Like 1

A nice subtle touch to Mox's heel turn is that after he tapped to being hung with a chain, he's become obsessed with choking people out. Yeah, he's always used various wrestling chokes as finishers, but now he's hanging on after the match and wants to put everyone to sleep. It's the classic trauma response of doing it to others to hide that it happened to him.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Claudio, Moxley, Hangman Page, Jericho, Danielson (if he ever comes back) and Omega are the main event/World title material.

I want to agree with this (well, maybe not Claudio), but, at the same time, AEW is most interesting to me when they push guys I haven.’t watched elsewhere for years.  I watched the show fairly regularly during the first year when it looked like they would build around Hangman, Allen, Jungle Boy, etc.  By the time Hangman dropped the title, I was barely watching the shows at all.  I didn’t plan to watch Dynamite last night, but the basketball game wasn’t particularly close, so I surfed by a bit past eight, saw the “four pillars” in the ring, and got hooked enough to watch an hour of the show.  I have zero internet in watching most of the ex-WWE guys get pushed hard - Mox and Jericho are a bit of an exception since they jumped on day one of their own volition - and, as much as I like the Elite, I’ve been watching them so the same act for 15 years or so.

Put another way, I’ll probably watch to see where MJF-Sammy-JB-Darby goes.  Even the Mox-Page feud - which I feel like should hook me - hasn’t gotten me to watch the show.

Also, Jarrett got me interested enough to watch an Orange Cassidy match.  Dude’s a gosh-darned miracle worker, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be mighty dissapointed if they start with Hangmans reintegration into the Elite without ever really giving Hangman/Silver/Reynolds a big trios run.

I'm totally fine with House of Black having the titles now, but I really wanted to see Hangman finish Moxley to then team up with Silver & Reynold to dethrone the Elite.

28 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

I will be mighty dissapointed if they start with Hangmans reintegration into the Elite without ever really giving Hangman/Silver/Reynolds a big trios run.

I'm totally fine with House of Black having the titles now, but I really wanted to see Hangman finish Moxley to then team up with Silver & Reynold to dethrone the Elite.

I'm having a flash-forward where I can totally see Hangman running in to help the Uno/Silver/Reynolds configuration overcome HOB shenanigans to win it - though it would make a ton more sense for BCC to be the defending Champions for that, so maybe a bit down the road -  basically, picture Hangman in the Steve Austin role when Mankind beat the Rock for his first title on 1/4/99 against the Fingerpoke Nitro.

This was a fanfuckingtastic show. I was honestly feeling the possibility of this Pillar title challenge going in. I guess I can get into a 4 way when it makes sense. You could hear the nervous tension in Darby’s voice, and it was kinda beautiful. He nailed that shit. So too Jungle Jack, Sammy and Max. Yeah, okay, the Sammy ‘Job guy’ line was too inside baseball, but it doesn’t take away from his being pretty good here. And then… suddenly… there’s STU GRAYSON ripping it up on my television set A-Gain! Goddamn, I love Stu. I was devastated by his loss from the roster. Please AEW bring this incredible wrestler back full time. And Goddamn do I ever love the BCC as heels. Such a natural fit for Yuta. Great bout. Tho, not a fan of a Spike Piledriver on the floor that doesn’t cause damage. Loved the Ricky-Juice sparring. Okay, let’s see where this one goes. Oh my! A recap of the opening segment! AEDubbya - selling the sizzle of the story! The whole Jade segment was terrific. Loved her squashing a ‘Wack Ass Canadian’ and then getting physical with Renee after. Great debut for Taya. I’ve always been a fan of her natural charisma, and furry boots, but let’s see if she can ratchet it up a notch in-ring. So QTV is the new thing to hate now that the haters have accepted Double J? I expect everyone with discerning taste will love QTV in a month. The senseless QT hate seems to blind viewers from his terrific heat based comedy. QTV felt like a great Lost TNT skit minus Awful Alfred - but a much tighter edit. The Wardy passport bit was a clever little tie-in. Follow that with OC-JJ – which totally met my lofty expectations. Sooo fun! ‘Jane’ continues to thrill me each and every week, it only gets better, alongside this legendary pro wrestler! I’m a fan of the Acclaimed, but not a fan of the Acclaimed’s lame music video catalog. Cool Hand and Daddy Magic get some TV time, and of course, hit it right out of the park! The Outcasts are finally putting things together. Big thanks to Ruby who lately has been a pretty fantastic promo. Haha, ‘Stinky Twat’ - loved Saraya here – she’s finding her place as a nutter! Toni was good here too. I dug this, but perhaps I’m just a mark for Riho running around with a lead pipe. FENIX v HOBBS! Right on! The Main Event was so great. Generally speaking not a fan of the 3 way, but the Jacksons know skillfully how to make all the moving parts work. So many pros in there. Also, so many neat pairings teased in this match. The BCC-DO involvement worked very well here too. The Jericho-Omega showdowns were so fun. Oh man, so into underrated Jake Hager v the colossal Brody King! AEDub continues to provide a weekly dose of pure joy.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

A nice subtle touch to Mox's heel turn is that after he tapped to being hung with a chain, he's become obsessed with choking people out. Yeah, he's always used various wrestling chokes as finishers, but now he's hanging on after the match and wants to put everyone to sleep. It's the classic trauma response of doing it to others to hide that it happened to him.

We know Danielson is not adverse to choking someone out.  Maybe they will have him choke out Tony or Tazz as an homage to the Nexus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Ratings say they have to run back Cassidy vs Jarrett. Logic says it needs a gimmick. I suggest a blindfold.

I am down for this. Also under consideration: if they want to go full Memphis, how about an empty arena match with Schiavone calling it over the PA. And must include at least one fireball.

Oh shit, Best Friends / OC vs JJJ concession stand brawl 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Ratings say they have to run back Cassidy vs Jarrett. Logic says it needs a gimmick. I suggest a blindfold.

Or in true Memphis fashion, they do a hair vs. hair match or Jarrett's hair vs. Trent Barreta's Mom's hair. They may as well dig Doug Gilbert and Jeff Gaylord out of the mothballs and have them do run ins during the next match with Jay Lethal dressed as Eddie Marlin helping Jeff Jarrett.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Log said:

This show had a lot of stuff that I didn't like within the stuff I liked.

I dug the opening segment. Thought it was cool to bring the "pillars" together like that. Didn't like that it got shooty, especially Sammy's stuff. I don't want to hear "job" or "bump" on my wrestling show.

Also, I was really hoping when Darby got his turn to talk, he'd just say "fuck it" and attack Max. Instead he read a few pages from JR's diary.

I don't mind Hobbs being paired up with QT, buuuuuut not like that.

I don't mind the idea of the Outcasts, buuuuuut not like that.

I did just like the OC/JJ match and the main event with no caveats. I know it's been a long time since Hangman and the Elite have interacted, but I'm glad they waited. That was the perfect moment to do it.

This is a more reasonable version of my feelings on the show than my "fucking awful" original comment (because shooting, QTV, Jade squash, and BCC getting chumped had me really in a foul mood)

• Like 1

I bet Gordlow hated everything up till the main but Matt hated the main and liked a bunch of the other stuff

seemed like a lot of shoot comments type promos

Britt and Jamie really came dressed for an event in Canada didn’t they

no Buddy v Kenny in the main though 😥

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Wait...so these aren't all "shoot Jews"???

Lord there had to be a better way to phrase that

not sure wether to make an L7 or a singles reference about the outcasts so I’ll say they got attacked by Big Star

liked most everything felt the main event could have been a bit more abridged and QT could be a decent scumbag manager but yhea this fake tmz stuff is not good

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Log said:

I think the issue with Jade's streak is that, due to having only one or maximum two women's segments per show, you don't get time to build up a threat for her.

Ideally, it would be great to be running someone climbing the ladder, getting more and more wins against tougher competition in a different segment of the show. Then, later, you can have her and Jade cross paths.

I suppose this could be done on Dark/Elevation, but it'd be nice to have it running parallel on Dynamite/Rampage.

They did that with Athena and the match was a let-down and then AEW let Athena be an ass-beating heel on Dark and it was better and got her over as a heel and rewarded with the ROH women's title. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Nah, something that prevents Cassidy from being able to put his hands in his pockets.

When was the last time anybody did a tuxedo match on television (or not on television)? Jeff showing up prepared in a full white tux and Orange pissing him off by showing up in a tie dye suit or something... Jeff loses and he's wearing TNA boxers...lots of material there...

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Loved the opener.  Really good layout, BCC are great heels and Wheeler was awesome in this one.

Main was really good but they were rushing at the end and I didn't think it peaked and finished strong.  This felt like a one off special match but I'd like to see them run it back.  Omega seemed more over than Jericho, great gear too.  He's been awesome since his return.

QTV has been covered sufficiently, I'm with everyone on this.  Is TMZ's TV show even still a thing?  This would have been lame 10 years ago.

No point in arguing about Jarrett.  He can be good at what he does and it can work on a live crowd but that doesn't mean it's good for the show or the company having him on TV.

There's so much wrong with the women's division right now.  I hate all of this and I like almost everyone involved.  When they manage to take people I was actively enjoying to one degree or another, throw them all together in a big angle, and it results in me not wanting to see any of them.......actively bad booking.  I almost never skip segments on AEW but they've now earned that distinction, this stuff is cringe.

My biggest problem is it feels like a throwback to the pre-evolution Divas division where the women were all catty and bitchy and cliquish and fighting over bullshit.  It's the opposite of what I want and what AEW has successfully delivered at times.  That and the outsiders thing feels incredibly forced.

• Like 2