DVDVR Message Board

2023 NCAAB - Madness~

Dolfan in NYC

While the announcers probably were overplaying it, it is clear that Purdue wasn't just playing scared they were playing terrified.    And there were guys wide open who wanted nothing to do with the ball

Holy shit this FDU coach is hyped as fuck.   

Edited by hammerva

Purdue's stretch run

• Lost their 2nd game on February 4th at Indiana
  • They stayed #1 on February 6th
  • Lost their second game on February 12th at Northwestern
  • They dropped from 1 to 3 on February 13th
  • Lost their third game on February 16th at Maryland
  • They dropped from 3 to 5 on February 20th
  • Lost their fourth game on February 25th vs Indiana
  • They remained at #5 on February 27th

Lost 4 games in February. Had a losing February (3-4). Dropped 4 spots in an entire month.

The way they got coddled by poll voters makes me think that Purdue might get advanced to Sunday anyways.

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

LMAO if Fairly Ridiculous upsets Purdue...

The best part is that they didn't win their conference and got the bid due to the weird rule that a team moving up a level (in this case Merrimack) isn't tourney eligible their first season (which is idiotic and makes no sense).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

due to the weird rule that a team moving up a level (in this case Merrimack) isn't tourney eligible their first season

schools moving up aren't eligible for their first 4 years, and Merrimack was only in the NEC tourney because the NEC allows teams in their 4th D1 year to be in the tourney. Merrimack is tourney eligible next year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

schools moving up aren't eligible for their first 4 years, and Merrimack was only in the NEC tourney because the NEC allows teams in their 4th D1 year to be in the tourney. Merrimack is tourney eligible next year.

What is the logic for that rule? If you move up and win your conference you should get the spot your play earned. I would think a team moving up would be at a significant disadvantage so why does that rule exist?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

We should've seen this coming. A school with a train mascot going to Ohio.

Also, double-digit seeds have been Purdue’s kryptonite the past 3 years.  They lost to North Texas (13 seed) in the first round in 2021 and St. Peter’s last year.  Last year’s loss was in the Sweet 16 but still (St. Peter’s was a 15-seed that had an incredible run).

Clearly, the gameplan for next year should be to win just enough games to make the Tournament as an 8 seed.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

44 minutes ago, sabremike said:

What is the logic for that rule?

There are differences in eligiblity between D1 and D2 (or at least there was pre-transfer portal).. of course, if someone is eligible to play in D2 and not D1, then they're not playing in D1 games, I'd think.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Three pointer heroball is the swinging for the fences of basketball. If you have people who are able to do it, it looks great. If you have a bunch of whiffs. Well.

I believe Purdue's main guards are all freshmen? That explains it, along with their love of throwing passes to a 7'4" guy at his feet for the whole night long. 

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

What is the logic for that rule? If you move up and win your conference you should get the spot your play earned. I would think a team moving up would be at a significant disadvantage so why does that rule exist?

The explanation I've seen is it's a deterrent to schools who classify to D-I for a few years, cash in and then reclassify back to D-II.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

The explanation I've seen is it's a deterrent to schools who classify to D-I for a few years, cash in and then reclassify back to D-II.

also they probably think it'll prevent schools from reclassifying, getting themselves in over their heads trying to win things immediately, and then having to go back to D2 if their finances bust?

• Thanks 1