DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 3/10/2023

The Natural

Sammy is a HEAT MACHINE!  Action Andretti is SPUNKY!  Fun Tope by Andretti.  There are a lot of chops in this.  GREAT SUWA Dropkick by Andretti!  More chops!  Andretti springboards to the floor but Sammy gets a knee up!  They crush each other's chests mid-ring!  NICE 450 Splash by Action!  Spanish Fly by Action FOR TWO!  Andretti dives through a table with Sammy on it.  Garcia CHEATS!  Sammy wins!  That was good!  It's the Acclaimed!  It's Jack Cartwheel! And it's the Rampage Squash.  Preston Vance comes out and takes on KONOSUKE TAKESHITA~!   Soup gets in some souplike things early and HITS A FUCKING BRAINBUSTER IN PICTURE IN PICTURE!  Jose the Assistant grabs his ankle and Vance GOES TO WORK!  Nice Snap Suplex by Vance!  They start SLAPPING MEAT!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB!  FOR TWO!  DISCUS LARIAT FOR TWO!  Wacky set-up for a BACKSLIDE FOR THE WIN!  That was fun.  NYLA!  RIHO!   Nyla uses her size advantage early with Riho getting in her spots.  Marina Shafir CHEATS WITH JUDO!  In picture in picture, Nyla keeps beating on Riho so that the Sacramentians get behind Riho's STRUGGLE to escape the preposterously overwhelming power of Nyla!  Jericho makes a great comment bout Nyla landing on Riho is like a house landing on the Wicked Witch of the East.  Great finish!  Roll-up flash pin out of a Beast Bomb attempt.  That was a good episode!  AEW ALMOST RULES THE WORLD AS MUCH AS ROH RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I liked Andretti pushing the pace at the start of the open, he didn't give Sammy a second to breathe. Good work. The knee counter that shut him down was nasty. Andretti almost didn't make the table spot which is always appreciated for realism's sake. 

Jack Cartwheel's gear reminded me of Danshoko Dieno. 

The Lard Lad/Vance match could have been better but was still alright, liked the finish not being a big knee. The Blue Thunder Bomb being an eternal two-count everywhere when it would have been straight death in the '80s amuses me. 

There is no way Tony is gonna stick the Lucha Bros in ROH. 

Riho/Nyla was their typical great match. The Outcasts ignore Nyla who is an OG I guess out of heel solidarity?

• Like 3

Man I felt bad for starboy Charlie with how they clowned on him and then he got killed. I was happy to see him be on tv haha but yikes. I’m biased but I was excited to see him on tv and then I heard the burial. 

I don’t want to listen to jr anymore. He doesn’t have to like Riho, he doesn’t have to call the match like she’s hbk, but he can also stop referring to her like she’s a fish. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I liked Andretti pushing the pace at the start of the open, he didn't give Sammy a second to breathe. Good work. The knee counter that shut him down was nasty. Andretti almost didn't make the table spot which is always appreciated for realism's sake. 

Jack Cartwheel's gear reminded me of Danshoko Dieno. 

The Lard Lad/Vance match could have been better but was still alright, liked the finish not being a big knee. The Blue Thunder Bomb being an eternal two-count everywhere when it would have been straight death in the '80s amuses me. 

Riho/Nyla was their typical great match. The Outcasts ignore Nyla who is an OG I guess out of heel solidarity?

Or maybe they're just scared of Nyla and Shafir cause they're big, mean, and nasty?  That's how I saw it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

As a fan of the new ROH, I kinda hope you're wrong, but they do seem to have some crowd momentum from these West Coast Shows.

6 hours ago, matt925 said:

I don’t want to listen to jr anymore. He doesn’t have to like Riho, he doesn’t have to call the match like she’s hbk, but he can also stop referring to her like she’s a fish. 

Psst... tape Delay International Feed > Watch on VLC > Audio Effects - Karaoke Filter. 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Takeshita and his early match “sheer drop brainbuster” is consistently terrible when he gets to drive the layout of his matches. 

To my eyes Takeshita is a fun and exciting performer. Maybe just start a thread and see if you can get a juicy bite on this weekly criticism. If nothing else, perhaps, it'll get it out of the system and you'll be able to overlook his 'terrible' match layouts. This bout with Vance is the closest thing I've seen to a lesser Takeshita match, but Vance needs reps. Maybe they should just let Cody take his 'kid' to the E.

So, Darby's going after the title? That sounds like a nice little Championship program between PPV matches. Riho looked excellent in that main event. I like Nyla, but they should know better by now to keep things tighter with time. Still, very solid. I kinda wish the 'Outcasts' would stop with the paint. They seem to botch the simple 'L' every time out. Nice opener from Action and Sammy. Mark Briscoe is pretty fucking great with a microphone. It's hard to believe Mark won't be a huge money drawing star when all is said and done. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

This is awesome.  Takeshita used a finisher created by Billy Ken Kid, a purolucha finisher on an American in a Lucha Stable.  GLOBAL!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Takeshita and his early match “sheer drop brainbuster” is consistently terrible when he gets to drive the layout of his matches. 

I get what you’re saying but at this point the AEW house style allows for huge moves that used to be deadly finishers early in the match. I mean 20 years ago the piledriver was one of the most protected moves in wrestling around the world and now it’s just a setup. Or, by wrestling logic, it’s not his finisher, so when he does it he isn’t able to do it in such a way as to finish his opponent.

I see it kind of like the progression of professional sports, especially football. In 1985 William Perry was a superstar because he was a moderately athletic 300 pound guy. Now you have 6’2” 350 pounders dunking basketballs and running 4.6 40s. Today’s NFL linebacker was a 1960s offensive lineman. You have 6’8 point guards in the NBA.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I get what you’re saying but at this point the AEW house style allows for huge moves that used to be deadly finishers early in the match

Take out the Elite and Takeshita and I actually very strongly disagree with you. The moves generally are attempted early, hit at transition points, and then reversed on the second try late. Generally if there’s a variation of this, it’s worked into the story of the match, an early bomb that sets up minutes of control.

The best evidence I can give you on this is that you don’t hear from me about it more!

Opening match had a lot of moves. I don’t think the crowd loves Andretti as much as Jericho and AEW does. There were a few too many very long setups for movez, they need to work on flow and timing. 

It was oddly nice to see a true squash, and it was a way for the Acclaimed to do all their crowdpleasing stuff and, well, please the crowd. I’m sure they’ll have a fun comedy match with 2.0.

Vance is green and it shows. I thought he had superstar potential for a while but he’s just really stiff movement-wise and it’s still clearly thinking/going through the match layout in his head. Takeshita is my fave and he had to try and carry this and it wasn’t quite there, but at least he gets a TV win over a “name” wrestler.

Riho-Nyla was good but not near the level of Riho-Emi. Crowd loved Riho a lot, and she does throw out some impressive stuff but I also think that being that small she really needs to throw some nasty Meiko-level shotgun drop kicks. Crowd kind of died for the Outcasts.

Backstage stuff was fine. Mark Briscoe was great. Maybe they should think about moving Top Flight down to ROH and letting them actually get a title run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You just hate anyone who'd be seen associating with Don Callis. 

@Matt D now hates Rick Martel

Spoiler

(Ignore the other matches where they fight, please)

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 3:59 AM, matt925 said:

It funny because I'm catching up on old Deadlock pods and they spent a late 2019 episode pissed at JR for constantly harping on Riho weighing 98 POUNDS and then I watch Rampage two days later and there's JR...still talking about her 98 pounds over and over, referring to her as a "little lady."  Jesus. 

Why does Saraya constantly look like she smells something bad?

Since we're airing our grievances everywhere, I feel like there are too many table spots lately, especially in relatively meaningless matches. Why did we need a corner post to table spot for Andretti and Sammy, especially just a few days after a similar table spot in the PPV title match where it was such a huge deal? It cheapens that huge moment in that huge match to have a lower-midcard feud that hardly even counts as a feud have such a big spot. Build to that shit.

• Like 1