DVDVR Message Board

WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC 2023

RIPPA

I have no idea why that barstool person tweeted that out. It's like, what, it doesn't sound impressive enough that almost half the TVs in the country tuned in to watch the game on the morning of a work/school day?

The top rated televised sports event in Japan is the 1964 Tokyo Olympics broadcast that included the Japan women's volleyball team (legendary team who were called the um..Oriental Witches) with a 66.8, closely followed by the Japan/Russia 2002 World Cup game with a 66.1 (a 1-0 Japan win that caused riots in Russia, I believe).

42.4 with a high of 46 when Ohtani faced Trout. The replay in the evening did a 22. It was also streamed live on Amazon Prime in Japan so we will never know the true numbers. The quarterfinal with Italy was the highest with a 48 because it was during prime time.

There were a lot of what they call "public viewings" - places that had TVs simply switched them to the game (city halls, train stations, airports) or maybe set one up for people to watch (again, city halls and possibly neighborhood - or fureai - centers). The latter are usually aimed at older people. A couple of other places may do them in halls with projectors. There were some places that charged tickets.

Here's an example of first a private "public viewing" (it was like 4000 yen a ticket, I think) and a local small one in the same video:

It's kind of anything goes to some extent since the games are already being broadcast on free TV (NHK TV fees excluded). The same thing happens during the World Cup. During the Olympics some places might do them for a hometown hero. Sports bars are not quite that common outside of the big cities. My small city has one but it was raining on the day of the semi-final so I just watched at home.

Edited by lostinube