DVDVR Message Board

WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC 2023

RIPPA

I am impressed with the sizes of the crowds and how into it the fans are. I think this kind of event is always at risk of looking like an exhibition to those in the US, especially this close to the regular season, but clearly the fans are really into it and the players are as well. I know it makes MLB fans nervous, and the injury to Diaz shows why, but anything that gets fans excited about international games I think is a good thing for the sport.

• Like 3

Despaigne and the Cuban pitching coach (both of whom are national legends) both appear to be eating well. But maybe solid red makes people look even larger. Unfortunate that Despaigne hasn't played in MLB because at the very least, it'd be fun. Like the time that Byung-ho Park spent a year on the Minnesota Twins.

USA up 5-1.

Top of the 4th, and a fan in the front row unleashed an anti-regime protest sign directly on the hard cam ("Abajo la dictadura", "down with the dictatorship")

Edited by Cobra Commander

Always difficult to find openings to empty the bench while leading in an elimination game.

Cuba has 3 years until the next WBC to find some way to make nice with the Cuban pitchers who aren't on this roster. Unless they can pull off a 3 year plan to develop pitching that won't immediately leave the country.

Meanwhile first fan runs onto the field in the top of the 6th inning. Is that earlier or later than expected?

• Like 1

The pitching on the island that hasn’t already defected is in rough shape. Very few guys can throw 90+ and their control isn’t the best. Cuban leagues haven’t even played night games since before COVID because the current economic situation. The inaugural Cuban Elite League was kind of a disaster: the league started late because the teams didn’t get their uniforms on time. Fan interest wasn’t that great either.

edit: is USA going to mercy rule Cuba?

Edited by cubbymark