DVDVR Message Board

WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC 2023

RIPPA

Cuba vs the Netherlands is kicking off the World Baseball Classic on FS1

Gotta love the political angling where it's more preferable to put Cuba in Taiwan than Miami for WBC Pool Play

Cuba was in Puerto Rico [2006], Mexico [2009], and Japan [2013/2017] in pool play, with the Puerto Rico visit involving Cuban-Americans showing up to protest.

my guesses for who advances: Taiwan and Netherlands from A, Japan/South Korea from B, USA/Mexico from C, Dominican/Venezuela from D. Think that Colombia and Puerto Rico will put up fights in C/D.

Cuba could get out of pool play if their MLB returnees boost the team enough.

Edit: speaking of MLB returnees, somebody found Yoenis Cespedes and signed him up to play for Cuba in this tournament. He drew a walk but Cuba left the bases loaded without scoring a run.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Netherlands beats Cuba 4-2, the ballpark was brutal for anybody trying to hit a home run, the MLB guys didn't do much for Cuba (Luis Robert getting picked off for the 3rd out makes me think that the 'defectors' will get blamed by the people running Cuban baseball if Cuba fails to make it out of pool play in this tournament)

Ohtani picks up the win for Japan with 5 Ks in four innings. He also picked up two RBIs. Japan led all the way but an Ohtani single in the 8th led to Japan batting around and blowing it wide open.

The Tokyo Dome crowd is so amped for Ohtani that they will go nuts if/when he knocks one out of the park.

18 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

meanwhile in baseball, the Dominican Republic is pounding the Atlanta Braves 9-0

On the flip side - the Giants beat Team USA 5-1

1 hour ago, cubbymark said:

Cuba starting 0-2 isn't good for their hopes of advancing. There's such a disconnect with the American broadcast trying to hype up the Cuban team vs the sad the reality that their overall quality has fallen off a cliff. 

The Cuban team this time seems like a half-ass dream team where most of the best Cuban players have legitimate reasons to stay away. Also doesn’t help that they’re playing their games so far away from Cuba due to the obvious reasons of why they wouldn’t play in the US.

Panama beating Taiwan easily was a surprise to me since I thought that Taiwan might have some wind in the sails playing on their home turf.

• Like 1

I do agree with you on the reasons this Cuba team seems like a half assed dream team. I saw enough of Luis Robert and Yoan Moncada at White Sox games last year that left a lot to be desired. I’ve also seen a bit of Serie Nacional and Liga Elite de Beisbol in Cuba to see the overall quality of play is really down. A lot of Cuban pitchers have control problems and they don’t throw particularly hard either. Fielding is a bit lackluster and there aren’t that many power hitters right now either.

Side note regarding that Italy/Cuba game - Matt Harvey threw 3 scoreless innings for Italy in basically what was his comeback game.

Harvey missed all last year and had knee surgery in Sept

So clearly he is gonna be looking to get a deal at the end of this tournament

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Side note regarding that Italy/Cuba game - Matt Harvey threw 3 scoreless innings for Italy in basically what was his comeback game.

Harvey missed all last year and had knee surgery in Sept

So clearly he is gonna be looking to get a deal at the end of this tournament

This is where I mention....err, DO NOT mention that the Yankees have most of their starting rotation crippled and we know Matt Harvey can handle New York.

Erisbel Arreubarrena just returning to Cuba and getting to play again after washing out with the Dodgers was something I didn’t know about until a few days ago. I only found out about it because I forgot if he was the guy that Miguel Olivo bit (Miguel Olivo bit Alex Guerrero, who is also a Cuban)

Meanwhile in WBC exhibitions, the Kansas City Royals defeated Great Britain 8-1.

If there was anybody in the Cuban system openly opposing letting defectors onto the Cuban team, they’re gonna just keep reminding people that they were right about the defectors until everybody else gets sick of hearing it.

In other words, Cuba might go 0-4 in the WBC

After Yoan Moncada made an error in a 4 run Panamanian inning, he doubled, got to third, and was out in-between third and home on a ground ball. Then Panama stole a base because Erisbel Arruebarrena, who was exiled from the Dodgers for breaking their rules, couldn't lay down a tag. Then their first baseman blew through a stop sign to get gunned down at the plate.

The Cuban team looked to the Mets as a model.. unfortunately it has turned out to be the 1992 Mets.

If this program was being run like the dictatorship that some South Florida residents believe they are, then people would be going to jail over this. I don't think they'll do that.

Instead they'll make decisions like a sports talk radio caller and scapegoat the fuck out of the defectors (some of which have been awful).

Lars Nootbar is shining throughout two games.

Also:

Korea burned through ten pitchers and came very close to getting mercy-ruled in the 7th (15 run lead after five, 10 run lead after 7). Now Korea is in a 0 - 2 hole and need lots of other things to go their way to advance.

Pool A is going down to the last day as Taiwa...er..Chinese Taipei beats the Netherlands. It's still possible for all five team to end up 2 -2 and we have to go to the tiebreakers. Pool B is a little clearer as Japan is already in with three wins. Australia is in the driver's seat for the other slot for now.

Saturday WBC action: Colombia beats Mexico in extras, America beats Britain but it took until the 3rd inning for the US to break through, Puerto Rico beats Nicaragua, and Venezuela beats the DR. 35,000 fans for both Miami games. 28k for Colombia/Mexico and almost 40k for USA/GB. South Korea beat the Czech Republic (on Sunday in Japan) a day after the Czech Republic and Japan entered into a relationship after their game.

Meanwhile Cuba is beating up on Taiwan right now.

So, if Netherlands beats Italy, then the Pool A winners would be the Netherlands and... Cuba would win the 2-2 tiebreaker since they beat both teams they tied with and lost to the best/worst teams. If everybody is 2-2, then good luck figuring it all out.

I think things will work themselves out to prevent this scenario but it's not impossible to get the Cuban National team playing in the Semifinals in Miami, which would be something to watch.

But Cuba beating Japan in Japan would be a major upset and I doubt that we're getting Cuba/Australia in the quarterfinals in Tokyo.