DVDVR Message Board

2023 NCAA Basketball Offseason Thread

RIPPA

Looking at the coaching change for Wikipedia, wonder who hires first between Cal and Texas Tech. Would think that Texas Tech is a way way way better destination than Cal at this moment, which would have been wild to say at some times in history.

In lesser known coaching news, New Hampshire axed their head coach after 18 seasons, where he went to the CIT twice in 2015/2016. So between him and the St. Francis Brooklyn HC, there's two 64 year old HCs who are now available after spending 10+ years at their last jobs.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, RIPPA said:

In news that I care about - current George Mason HC Kim English is reportedly the front runner for the Providence job

(Now to be fair - there are some around here who think this is just English's agent trying to get an extension of Mason)

Of course Mason technically doesn't have an AD right now either so that is fun

Well since its made it all the way to ESPN I guess this is happening

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35924033/sources-kim-english-sign-6-year-deal-providence-basketball-coach

On 3/10/2023 at 9:53 AM, RIPPA said:

My alma mater (American) decided to fire Mike Brennan

It is a far cry from Dec when they were declared the best team in the DMV

Cratering in conference play - including multiple losses to the dregs of the Patriot League will do that to you

I was poking around trying to see who AU might be looking at when I discovered that the Patriot League has four vacancies (AU, Bucknell, Army and Holy Cross)

Bucknell hired John Griffin III after Nathan Davis "left to pursue other opportunities" aka quit before got fired

Duke's Tyrese Proctor has announced that he will return for his Sophomore year

He also announced he will not play for Australia in this Fall's FIBA World Cup

Bradley stud F/C Rienk Mast has entered the transfer portal and is getting a ton of interest from schools including Kentucky. Sucks to be losing him, but he wanted to prove himself against P5 competition on the regular before he goes pro (he absolutely will be a star in Europe) and the Valley ceiling only goes so high for those matchups. Best of luck to him.

Dave Paulsen is returning to the Patriot League - this time as HC at Holy Cross

He he was at Bucknell over a decade ago, then went to George Mason (Last season he was an assistant at Fordham)

an assortment of recent stuff not mentioned on the thread

Army hires Kevin Kuwik (Butler assistant/earned a bronze star in the Army in Iraq)

High Point hires Alan Huss (Creighton associate HC)

Lafayette fired Mike Jordan after having him on paid leave since February, he was replaced by acting coach Mike McGarvey

Manhattan hires John Gallagher (former Hartford HC)

Mason did basically the one move that wasn't gonna infuriate the fanbase anymore

Tony Skinn - the starting point guard on the 2006 team that went to the Final Four - was named Head Coach

Skinn was most recently an assistant at Maryland

Transfer portal:

- Hunter Dickinson (Michigan)

- Hunter Sallis (Gonzaga)

No word on Hunter S. Thompson, Hunter Renfroe, or Hunter Renfrow.

57 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Transfer portal:

- Hunter Dickinson (Michigan)

- Hunter Sallis (Gonzaga)

No word on Hunter S. Thompson, Hunter Renfroe, or Hunter Renfrow.

I can't believe you didn't include Hunter Hearst Helmsley

From the "My World's Are Colliding" folder

American is hiring Duane Simpkins as head coach

Simpkins has been an assistant at Mason for like 8 years

Efton Reid has entered the portal. Third guy from Gonzaga to transfer. Reid came in with a lot of promise but fouled CONSTANTLY and couldn't get on the floor. Three guys leaving sounds bad but all three disappointed.