DVDVR Message Board

2023 NCAA Basketball Offseason Thread

RIPPA

Very weird thing with Boeheim refusing to answer questions about retiring, saying it's up to the university, and not having a quote in the official press release.

Kinda feels like he's been gently pushed out without Syracuse wanting the fansbase to see it that way. 

Well, some new coach will need to start being a grumpy asshole to reporters who are just doing their job, asking simple, innocuous questions.

Boeheim officially retired today with Adrian Autry named the new head coach. Boeheim has been a staple of Syracuse since I first became a fan as a child. From the 90's Big East runs to the 2003 National Championship all the way up to their entry into the ACC and subsequent fall from grace (definitely not as much of a powerhouse as they were in the Big East) Jimmy B and his 2-3 zone kept Syracuse relevant for a long time. However, the game has officially passed him by. The 2-3 zone is a field day for anyone with a 3 point shooter (aka, everyone now) and we have seen that zone go from being feared to almost being welcomed. Hope he enjoys retirement, because CNY has only really had basketball for the past 25 years and who knows what the future will have in store for them now. I was really hoping it would be McNamara who'd be named head coach, but I might have to wait a few more years for that.

Also, don't forget... Jim Boeheim killed a man.

Edited by Krone

41 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Very weird thing with Boeheim refusing to answer questions about retiring, saying it's up to the university, and not having a quote in the official press release.

Kinda feels like he's been gently pushed out without Syracuse wanting the fansbase to see it that way. 

Well, some new coach will need to start being a grumpy asshole to reporters who are just doing their job, asking simple, innocuous questions.

After essentially daring the school to fire him a few weeks ago, maybe that's what they've done. The article from ESPN specifically says "won't be returning" not that he retired. 

Texas Tech’s Mark Adams has stepped down

This comes after he was suspended for Tech’s conference tournament after using racially insensitive language 

25 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

and Patrick Ewing is out at Georgetown

It shows you how much Georgetown has currently fallen off the radar as right now all the local folks are all "Ooooh... the Commanders got a third round pick!"

On 3/8/2023 at 7:00 PM, Tabe said:

After essentially daring the school to fire him a few weeks ago, maybe that's what they've done. The article from ESPN specifically says "won't be returning" not that he retired. 

It definitely does not feel like he stepped down of his own volition.

On the other hand, his post-game press conference yesterday was odd.  Boeheim seemed more bemused than angry or defiant.  After saying that it would be up to the school whether he returned or not, a reporter immediately said “So you want to come back?” and Boeheim responded “I didn’t say that”.  Ok, that clears that up.  Or not.

All due respect to Boeheim, but he’s 78.  I don’t really believe anyone of that age has the energy and wherewithal to run a major division I program.  I’m not for forcing a hall of fame coach out, but it’s reasonable to think the game has probably passed him by a couple times by now.

lol, coaching career aside, I’m kind of impressed that Boeheim has several kids in their early 20’s.  Obviously, he’s made of sterner stuff than I am.  I would not want three pre-schoolers in the house when I was pushing 60.  Makes me tired just thinking about it.  I really wanted my kids to be out of college by the time I hit 50 (close, but no cigar).

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

My alma mater (American) decided to fire Mike Brennan

It is a far cry from Dec when they were declared the best team in the DMV

Cratering in conference play - including multiple losses to the dregs of the Patriot League will do that to you

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Wonder if there was a coach who was absolute legend at a player and then became one of the worst coaches in that same school.   Plenty of the opposite where the player was a role guy at best.     

The newly-unemployed Patrick Ewing would certainly seem to fit that criteria.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

It definitely does not feel like he stepped down of his own volition.

On the other hand, his post-game press conference yesterday was odd.  Boeheim seemed more bemused than angry or defiant.  After saying that it would be up to the school whether he returned or not, a reporter immediately said “So you want to come back?” and Boeheim responded “I didn’t say that”.  Ok, that clears that up.  Or not.

Jim Boeheim is a prick.  Part of the way that part of himself gets expressed is by being a prick to reporters.  Why change now?

• Like 2

St John's has fired Mike Anderson

Putting aside for a second that they apparently want to hire Rick Pitino - St John's, Georgetown and Syracuse all getting new coaches at the same time is really fucking weird

Pitino rumor mill:

If St. John's doesn't get Pitino, well.. a Duke guy just got Howard into the tourney (Kenny Blakeney, who was an assistant for 24 years [JMU/La Salle/Delaware/Seton Hall/Delaware again/Marshall/Harvard/Columbia] before finally getting a HC job) but idk if the Duke/St. John's ties are deeper than Duke playing games there regularly. Also, Fordham's HC won 25+ games in his first year there and I suspect that St. John's is higher in the CBB food chain than Fordham? but Fordham just lost their HC a year ago when he came back to Villanova to replace Jay Wright.

I type this without knowing how much of a clean break that St. John's would want to make from Mike Anderson.

Some school is gonna have to be told "Jay Wright isn't coming out of retirement for you", right?

I mean, if a school needs a head coach, especially an Eastern Catholic private school, you probably might as well at least give Wright's people a call. Worst that can happen is he says no.

the main upside to calling Jay Wright might involve getting him to tell you which of his former assistants should be head coaches.. similar logic exists for calling Mike Bray

anyways, the following institutions fired also head coaches in the last day or so:

• Buffalo/Jim Whitesell
  • ETSU/Desmond Oliver
  • Holy Cross/Brett Nelson
  • South Florida/Brian Gregory
  • Western Kentucky/Rick Stansbury
  • Wichita State/Isaac Brown

On 3/8/2023 at 3:02 PM, RIPPA said:

I will start this thread off with the news that Chris Beard is most likely going to be the next Ole Miss coach

This is now official