DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/8/2023

The Natural

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

They need an on air authority figure they can trot out occasionally for these sort of announcements, like say Paul Wight is "executive vp of the competition committee" so he can do it

I'm very grateful every time Tony delivers one of these announcements that we Don't have an authority figure. Big Paul in said role is a fun idea, but it's just so nice not to have an authority figure eating up TV time. Also, it sounds like Wight is on his way back to the ring.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm kind of bummed they've chosen now of all times to rename the All Atlantic since Jarrett being something of a relic of the territories days just seems like a guy who would compete for a title with a name like the All Atlantic title. 

In all seriousness I hope when Statlander comes back she's an alien again and renames the TBS title the Intergalactic Title.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Jarrett held the Mid-America title 5 times before it was retired in 1988.

Missed opportunity right there. We could have a bunch of emotional videos from Jarrett where he talks about how he’s been champion of part of the Atlantic, but never ALL of it. 

edit: Oh, dammit. I misread that as Mid-Atlantic. 

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 7:55 PM, elizium said:

So, as @Curt McGirt mentioned, we were trying to figure this out on the Discord. The Bunny is the likely choice. The Bunny deserves a spotlight match, but that would be disappointing. For non-AEW wrestlers, a lot of the major names are tied up with contracts. Does Impact let say a Rosemary or Taya Valkyrie out for one match? Probably not. Indie-wise that leaves Lufisto, Jody Threat..... uh Allison Danger is supposed to be wrestling again soon. Its not like the people are going to pop for an appearance by Taryn from Accounting. Well, I would but I don't see TK doing that.

Who are we forgetting that's a name and not already signed somewhere

Taya is reportedly no longer under contract to impact 

On 3/8/2023 at 10:13 PM, HumanChessgame said:

TK's announcement was so corny it was almost funny. So now we have an International and a World title?

Just committing to the spiritual ancestor to WCW bit. Now we just need someone to grow a super thick mustache like Rude.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:34 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

The QT push is clearly a thank-you for him trying to talk a major star into AEW during his recent visit to the Factory:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq0UhpwXoAA1adj?format=jpg&name=large

So it took me a second to notice Cena even though he's right in the middle, but QT really looks like Ryback and that's who I thought I should be looking for.

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Just committing to the spiritual ancestor to WCW bit. Now we just need someone to grow a super thick mustache like Rude.

Does Dax Harwood mean nothing to you?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

So out of curiosity why is everyone assuming the women are getting Blood and Guts this year? Look at the name of the match, and try explaining how or why TBS would risk alienating sponsors by having that on TV. If they do it with the women it’s going to have to be at Double or Nothing. Sponsors aren’t going to be like yeah we want to sponsor a show where they’re bragging that women are going to bleed buckets. It’s one thing in UFC where it’s a legit sport, and the women bleed, but in wrestling no way in hell does that fly. 

3 minutes ago, LF2 said:

So out of curiosity why is everyone assuming the women are getting Blood and Guts this year? Look at the name of the match, and try explaining how or why TBS would risk alienating sponsors by having that on TV. If they do it with the women it’s going to have to be at Double or Nothing. Sponsors aren’t going to be like yeah we want to sponsor a show where they’re bragging that women are going to bleed buckets. It’s one thing in UFC where it’s a legit sport, and the women bleed, but in wrestling no way in hell does that fly. 

I’m not much of a prude, but I was mostly turned off by that women’s tag team match where everyone bled buckets.  I’ve never been.a deathmatch fan, but I watched a lot of CZW back in the 00’s when Mike Burns was booking mainstream indie guys like Super Dragon and Kevin Steen.  I found a reason to make it through.a year of BJW back then too, but it’s not what I’m looking for in 2023 from the number two company in the US.  And I gotta think it turns off at least a few potential sponsors.

if I was really into AEW, blood wouldn’t be the thing that made me switch it off.  But it is one factor, among others, that make Dynamite and the ppv’s skippable most nights.  You can pretty much count on Mox bleeding most every Dynamite lately.  I really don’t get it.  Tony runs a  very successful promotion that depends on tv and television sponsors to stay successful.  Mox is on the short list for best in the world right now and has made millions.  They don’t need to risk anyone with garbage wrestling and blade jobs, so why they keep going back to that is beyond me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I don't know, they've had some pretty bloody women's matches on TV already. Did they get pushback from that?

That’s true. I’m saying just the name of the match alone (Blood & Guts) will be off putting to sponsors if it’s eight or ten women in the match. The others have all been matches where Khan could claim the blood is accidental (steel cage, street fight). 

1 hour ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Their #1 sponsor is an online bookie service for degenerate gamblers so hopefully opposing women's hardcore wrestling isn't high on anyone's list of potential dealbreakers.

Excellent point. I was thinking more along the lines of companies that sponsor WWE (Snickers mainly). I forgot Draft Kings is the top AEW sponsor. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Moxley said in his big talk with Vince before he left that one of the major sticking points was he wanted to bleed and Vince said absolutely not. He's on the Mount Everest of this company. They are not getting rid of blood. 

Willow said on her Sessions interview that one woman was allowed to blade when Ruby did a double Chigusa.  I'm assuming Ruby can bleed for ten.

• Like 4

On 3/12/2023 at 10:53 AM, LF2 said:

Excellent point. I was thinking more along the lines of companies that sponsor WWE (Snickers mainly). I forgot Draft Kings is the top AEW sponsor. 

Speaking of which I hope we can get them to sponsor the whole commercial free for this years blood and guts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1