DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/8/2023

The Natural

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Most every "oh no their limb gave out" spot looks bad, but that man just threw himself headfirst at the canvas to make it work.  I'm not a Lethal fan but rats off to him for that.

There was a time in wrestling where this phrase could have actually been spoken haha

"You see the bump that Lethal took? Rats off to him for that. They'll nurse him back to health."

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

They need to start doing some of these title changes on Rampage and Battle for the Belts. 

To be fair the TNT title has changed hands at a Battle of the Belts and Rampage before, but you are 100% correct. BOTB needs titles to change hands more, and Rampage should get some prestige too.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I'd mark out for either of them, big fan of both. KC did work Dark last time they were in Canada

Nicole was on the BOOM Pro Wrestling show I ring announced in October. She's great, and is super cool.

• Like 2

Can we please just get rid of crash pads period?  First Hobbs has the broken ladder (I don't get why he didn't just get another one, there were a half dozen ladders at ringside), now this shitty finish?  Plus somehow they break him off from Taz (like over a year ago seemingly at this point) just to saddle him with a kayfabe GEEK.  I don't get it.  He'll probably stay over in spite of it, but jeez

Between Jarrett standing tall at the end of the opening segment (nothing says cool, hip alternative promotion like JEFF F'N JARRETT IN 2023) and another bullshit sports entertainment finish in the main event of this show, this show left a bad taste in my mouth

On the brightside I'm looking forward to that trios triple threat in Winnipeg and I'll be happy if it spins off into the JAS and Elite feuding for a bit while the HOB just kill the rest of the roster for a while.  I'm also down with Ricky and Juice feuding, I can see them having good matches and both benefiting from it

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm fine with the crash pads or something other than just a table over concrete. I'd like instances like what happened with Matt Hardy or Anna Jay to be avoided if at all possible.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone killing themselves, I just don't want them doing these lame business exposing spots period.  They stopped being cool around the time of Shane McMahon v. Steve Blackman, but I think AEW would have learned their lesson after Jericho fell off the cage and it looked like shit

If you can't make it look good don't do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I honestly would have preferred a straight-up hoss fight between Hobbs and Wardlow. Just Big Meaty Men Slapping Meat. With a relatively clean finish. The bells and whistles really detracted from the main event, for me personally.

There are still a lot of really good and great and fun and entertaining wrestlers getting to wrestle long matches so I am still a fan, but I am nostalgic for the days when the wrestlers were booking their own programmes and doing all kinds of weird indie shit. I dig the current WWE-lite style booking and storytelling and bells-and-whistles heavy style with plenty of fuck finishes WAY less. They are catering more and more to a very specific " Attitude Era " and ECW type of nostalgia that doesn't really hit with me, personally. But it does seem like plenty of folks here are happier with this "Burger King" version of AEW, so I'll try not to constantly piss on that particular parade moving forward.

And I already miss making "All Atlantic" jokes!

On the plus side, it was like they booked this show specifically to allow me to make the MAXIMUM number of terrible dad jokes. o

For example: I was joking that Toni Storm should marry Ricky Starks and then exclusively wrestle in iron man matches (because she'd be "Toni Starks") and then JUICE ROBINSON came out to attack Starks after his match and I got to yell, "Dude! I was just kidding!"

Also: Absolut and Juice is a natural match-up.

I also think Skye Blue should marry AR Fox. Or Scorpio Sky.

LOVED the crowd reactions for FTR and the Takeshita vs Vance announcement.

Lufisto, maybe? That would be cool. 

i wonder who Don was thinking of as the BEST wrestler from Winnipeg? Roddy Piper? Chi Chi Cruz? Moose Morowski?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Maybe Cody got QT a job as the new Bill DeMott and a couple weeks from now Hobbs will have turned on him and there will be a segment with Wardlow in the ring and QT explaining in a prerecorded interview why he did what he did in order to complete Wardlow's training.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The QT push is clearly a thank-you for him trying to talk a major star into AEW during his recent visit to the Factory:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq0UhpwXoAA1adj?format=jpg&name=large

Before I fully took in the whole photo I thought the inference was that QT had his hand on the shoulder of "major star" Jesse Plemons 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Haha 1

Wardlow.  Get a submission hold.

There seemed to be a lot of theatrical accompaniment with the Hobbs/Wardlow deal.  Shrink wrapped pallets of empty cardboard boxes are a pretty safe way to take some action while moving to the next set piece.  I didn’t think it was that bad.

Loved the trios match and the angle afterward.  Winnipeg is going to be nuclear.  Fox being unknowingly photobombed by the JAS was chefs kiss.

Ruby really tied the division in a bow.  That was a really unique promo that weaved all the narrative exposition from just about all corners of the Women’s division.  It’s probably no coincidence that Jades promo was kind of ambiguous in coming to a conclusion.  I like this idea of her being a replacement in a War Games (oops) injury scenario.  That’ll pop them big time, brother.

Don Callis is a treasure.  Rats off to him!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Winnipeg is going to be nuclear.

I actually have my doubts a bit. Winnipeg crowds have no in-between, either absolutely crazy or so awkwardly deathly quiet. So I'm going to apologize in advance if its bad, I'll try my best but I'm going to be way up in the cheapies. Unlike the WPW shows I go to, there are no metal grates in the balcony to kick and make a racket with.

AEW in Canada is still mostly restricted to the hardcore wrestling fans. They've moved about 6000 tickets, with 1500 or so still available, which is about what I expected beforehand. I'm pretty surprised they opened up the third level on the hard camera side, I'd say its still about 2/3-3/4s available. Putting Jarrett on the card is honestly smart. Winnipeg is very much a WWE territory so I expect anyone who's had some time there to get a good reaction.

I'm curious about Omega's reaction. It's been discussed here before, but he wasn't a name here before AEW. I worked with a guy who went to high school with him and I had to explain to him how big Omega is to the larger wrestling world. He didn't even know what his name was, all he knew was that "Tyson went off to be a wrestler somewhere." This was 2017-2018 and he was shocked when I told him that Kenny was considered by many to be the best in the world. But other than the few hundred hardcores that go to indie shows, all anyone here knows is WWE.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

There are still a lot of really good and great and fun and entertaining wrestlers getting to wrestle long matches so I am still a fan, but I am nostalgic for the days when the wrestlers were booking their own programmes and doing all kinds of weird indie shit. I dig the current WWE-lite style booking and storytelling and bells-and-whistles heavy style with plenty of fuck finishes WAY less. They are catering more and more to a very specific " Attitude Era " and ECW type of nostalgia that doesn't really hit with me, personally. But it does seem like plenty of folks here are happier with this "Burger King" version of AEW, so I'll try not to constantly piss on that particular parade moving forward.

I've been having a hard time putting my finger on it but that's pretty close to how I'm feeling about the current product overall right now

There's definitely a lot of stuff happening, and very little of it has been clicking for me.  Even stuff that I want to like or should maybe be good hasn't been hitting right.  The buck stops with Tony so I blame him.  Learn how to filter out Jarrett for starters, my worst fears came true and AEW has started turning into TNFnA.  And I appreciate the ECW influence on Tony's booking for sure, but ECW was hit and miss and AEW has been missing big a lot lately

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Are they going to bring back Callis for the Winnipeg show? 

He was part of the set up for the Elite - HoB - JAS match, so I'm sure he'll accompany the Elite and then move onto commentary.

Time for The Natural to get his flowers. (Not you @The Natural, we already appreciate you)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 4:41 PM, Octopus said:

I’m hopping that it was Samoa Joe that stole the belt and we get more beefy dudes involved for a beef off in the TNT BEEF division.

I do enjoy the TNT title being the HOSSWEIGHT division 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:01 PM, Red King said:

Fixed the name

Fqvp4PfXoAMXmey?format=jpg

We are at the point where WCW had a World and an International title

I rather enjoyed this episode all the matches delivered. Good logical promo from Ruby. Only wish we could get a JAS v Elite number one contenders match instead of HOB wanting a match they only have a 33.3% chance of winning

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 1:20 AM, L_W_P said:

That was bizarre.

The way he kept looping around from "Winnipeg -> Level Up -> Shazam -> International -> Winnipeg" followed by the abrupt ending... massive ADHD vibes.

No issue with that at all but damn dude... You hire people to explain this stuff for you.

They need an on air authority figure they can trot out occasionally for these sort of announcements, like say Paul Wight is "executive vp of the competition committee" so he can do it

• Like 3

On 3/9/2023 at 4:20 AM, L_W_P said:

SOMEONE had to grab Top Flight and put them in a different colour scheme. Wearing long black pants with a gold trim, against the JAS who wear... long black pants with a gold trim, was a small thing but it says a lot.

YES.  Holy shit, I was so confused wondering at one point why one JAS guy was attacking the other.

Also, I don't really like or understand the BCC anymore.  I mean, I thought they were supposed to be this superior fight team, which was cool.  But now they're just kinda assholes and bullies.  They're 80s Cobra Kai: awesome fighters training together, but then they abuse their skills and act like dicks.  Moxley begrudgingly respecting Hangman after Sunday was great storytelling.  Moxley doing a 180 and backjumping him on Wednesday just undoes all that and it makes him a heel.  Speaking of Cobra Kai (and now I'm talking about the TV show), if that's what they're going for, then Yuta being earlier seasons Hawk -- the dork who gains fighting skill and overcompensates by becoming a bully -- is cool, I guess.  But yeah, unless the whole stable is turning heel, their characterization is rubbing me the wrong way.  Here's hoping the 180 this week is just the setup to next week's six man and then we'll have a mutual respect love-in afterwards and this program is put to bed.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, zendragon said:

They need an on air authority figure they can trot out occasionally for these sort of announcements, like say Paul Wight is "executive vp of the competition committee" so he can do it

I actually like this a lot.

Wight is enough of a physical presence to carry that authority, has a long history in the business, and the WMD/KO Punch is a great answer for any heels who are thinking about taking a swing when he rules against them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

YES.  Holy shit, I was so confused wondering at one point why one JAS guy was attacking the other.

Also, I don't really like or understand the BCC anymore.  I mean, I thought they were supposed to be this superior fight team, which was cool.  But now they're just kinda assholes and bullies.  They're 80s Cobra Kai: awesome fighters training together, but then they abuse their skills and act like dicks.  Moxley begrudgingly respecting Hangman after Sunday was great storytelling.  Moxley doing a 180 and backjumping him on Wednesday just undoes all that and it makes him a heel.  Speaking of Cobra Kai (and now I'm talking about the TV show), if that's what they're going for, then Yuta being earlier seasons Hawk -- the dork who gains fighting skill and overcompensates by becoming a bully -- is cool, I guess.  But yeah, unless the whole stable is turning heel, their characterization is rubbing me the wrong way.  Here's hoping the 180 this week is just the setup to next week's six man and then we'll have a mutual respect love-in afterwards and this program is put to bed.

I wonder if we don't get 6 months of heel-ish BCC followed by Danielson returning to try and kill the monster he helped create?

• Like 2