DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/8/2023

The Natural

2 minutes ago, Red King said:

Yea i read this in advance of making my post. Doesn't mean she can't or won't be back tomorrow though, that's kind of the usual way of business in AEW.

40 minutes ago, EVA said:

I really enjoyed Wardlow/Hobbs until the finish. I like QT, but Hobbs does NOT need him, and the 10-count KO finish in a falls count anywhere match felt weird. 

It was just an awful lot to protect a guy who couldn’t even cut a fired up promo on whoever legit broke into his car.

Right, so, this is the setup that I needed to get my negative take out of the way before I get positive. Wardlow has killed his own heat by continuing to be a subpar promo. Lord knows he's been given every opportunity. I'm really really sorry to say this but you have to be two out of these three thing to sustain main-event level heat in 2023 - #1) Capable of having AND/OR capable of being lead through whatever we currently define as a "five star match" #2) A very good promo AND/OR being physically charismatic enough to do really high end character work #3) Tall AND/OR "Legit".

Wardlow is not terrible at #1 or #2, but he really only nails #3. And I'd say it would be easier to teach him to be a high-end workrate guy than to hope he'll come into his own as a natural, inspiring promo. Again, not that he's TERRIBLE and not that he has to be great. We live in a world where Kenny Omega, Kazuchika Okada and Sasha Banks are legitimate draws. He's just destined to be exactly a half a step behind on the stick and it kills me to see it.

• Like 2

EDIT: tomorrow i edit this and say something nice

EDIT 2: where one falls on the QT love/hate divide probably has to do with how many live shows one has attended. Have you seen him get heat at a NJPW Strong show? Or during a commercial break at a Dynamite taping? He's really quite the natural.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ha, I want her husband to show up on the tron and CUT A PROMO then Gail runs in. You know you want to see Robert Irvine pretend to be a wrestler. 

Robert Irvine showed up in TNA. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JLowe said:

People were clowning AEW on Twitter for the International Women’s Day post showing a bunch of women who rarely make TV because they never show more than one women’s match.

Yeah, before the show I was thinking of posting here speculating whether Tony would celebrate International Women's Day by having two women's matches. But I knew he wouldn't.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree Wardlow has both 1) been chumped and 2) proven that he isn’t capable - at least not yet - of being able to execute in the spot he was being positioned for, so the pivot away from him was strategically correct (albeit chumpishly executed)

He needs to go to learn a new hold. Bring on Wardlow/Hammerstone.

• Like 1

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

Right, so, this is the setup that I needed to get my negative take out of the way before I get positive. Wardlow has killed his own heat by continuing to be a subpar promo. Lord knows he's been given every opportunity. I'm really really sorry to say this but you have to be two out of these three thing to sustain main-event level heat in 2023 - #1) Capable of having AND/OR capable of being lead through whatever we currently define as a "five star match" #2) A very good promo AND/OR being physically charismatic enough to do really high end character work #3) Tall AND/OR "Legit".

Wardlow is not terrible at #1 or #2, but he really only nails #3. And I'd say it would be easier to teach him to be a high-end workrate guy than to hope he'll come into his own as a natural, inspiring promo. Again, not that he's TERRIBLE and not that he has to be great. We live in a world where Kenny Omega, Kazuchika Okada and Sasha Banks are legitimate draws. He's just destined to be exactly a half a step behind on the stick and it kills me to see it.

If this was 25-30 years ago, he would be in Japan like Doug Furnas or The Gladiator and making good money. I know that there are plenty of foreigners working in Japan now, but it ain't like it was before when guys could legit have a star look but still have a career somewhere other than the big two. We didn't know Furnas or Awesome or Bognar or some of the guys didn't have charisma or a major presence until they came over here and it was firmly established. I mean Doug had more charisma than his brother Mike so Cornette brought him over to cut promos, but there is a certain level he wasn't able to achieve over his career. I mean Del Wilkes had that fired up babyface Southern rasslin shit going on, but it probably wouldn't have worked in the long run even without injuries and the subsequent substance issues.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

So what does Shazam! have to do with renaming the All-Atlantic to the International title? 

Well, the movie is subtitled "Fury of the Gods". And, like, more than one country has gods. So, you know... international.

It makes sense!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

So what does Shazam! have to do with renaming the All-Atlantic to the International title?  Especially since “international title” is about as generic a name as there is.  I was confused.

It has as much to do with that title as Mountain Dew has to do with someone's supernatural pissed off uncle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have Arn or someone be the Bockwinkel in WCW type figure. I like the awkward Tony and his middle school presentation style of announcements but it’s time for a change. The All-Atlantic Era is over. Enter the Dawn of the International Age.

• Like 4

I wasn’t really paying attention once I realized it was a match announcement for OC, but wasn’t it just that the match is sponsored by the Shazam movie and they’re also rebranding it?

Either way, don’t care, I’m excited for OC vs Jarrett.