DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/8/2023

The Natural

1 minute ago, EVA said:

I really enjoyed Wardlow/Hobbs until the finish. I like QT, but Hobbs does NOT need him, and the 10-count KO finish in a falls count anywhere match felt weird. 

It was just an awful lot to protect a guy who couldn’t even cut a fired up promo on whoever legit broke into his car.

Okay, TECHNICALLY, it was a rental car. But yeah, point remains since his shit got stolen.

Wardlow is so lame.

Liked the show, not an all-timer, but a nice reset after several months of the same angles. Well, except Hangman-Mox which...must...continue. But I suppose that is to get the Dark Order closure.

I am jazzed for next week. Gonna be screaming from the cheap seats.

If anyone should come out to challenge Jade next week, it should be Winnipeg's champion Jody Threat

a5DYGEh.jpg

• Like 10

We pondered the Jade opponent in the Discord and Lufisto was definitely my pick. 

Shazam! being the sponsor of the IC match reminded me of the WWF In Your House days where matches were BROUGHT TO YOU BY

pic1008312.jpg

Hungee was getting pretty Moxley on Moxley there for a minute. DO vs. BCC still feels... off... though. 

The best part of the main until the mattress bump and my thinking that they're destroying yet another rental of Wardlow's was the gold ring audibly bouncing on the ground.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I don't know what Tony's smoking sometimes.  I enjoyed Hobbs vs. Wardlow and I'm super pumped that Hobbs won the title but what the fuck does he need QT Marshall for?  Yes, they've built some type of alliance that I admittedly had forgotten about but why..  Hobbs is a budding star. He's been ok on promos, not great but the Book of Hobbs segments were fine. Just let Hobbs eat people. No need to get cute. 

Furthermore, within the last couple months the TNT belt went from Joe to Darby to Joe to Wardlow to Joe to Wardlow to Hobbs or something.  Maybe I fucked that up.. but it's been a lot of hot shotting Hobbs needs a good run here. 

• Like 3

I'm wondering if they deliberately had Wardlow get screwed by a guy (very) low on the card so that he can immediately take out his revenge on QT and move on from Hobbs to MJF. This would be less than ideal booking for a lot of reasons, ie their way of protecting Wardlow would to be to feud him with Mark Sterling and QT Marshall. So it's not something I'm advocating but I wonder if it's where they've decided to go and they had to book themselves out of the corner they booked themselves into when they didn't just keep the belt on Darby and have him lose to Hobbs on the ppv. I was 90% sure we were building to Hangman vs MJF for the next PPV but if Hangman is still (STILL) feuding with Mox and Starks is feuding with Juice (& presumably co.) then Wardlow seems like the guy they have in mind to me. 

• Like 3

3 weeks in a row of Orange Cassidy showstealer openers. Love it. I guess it all comes to an end next week but what an amazing reign it's been, 14 total defenses. Orange vs Jarrett should be awesome. 

Nice Bullet Club tease and then oh it's just Juice. 

Ruby/Skye was solid. Liked Ruby remembering history and bringing up when she got booed against Kris Stat last year. 

Figured they would set up JAS vs Elite for the Jericho/Omega interaction in Winnipeg, didn't expect a triple threat tag for the titles, but that should be a lot of fun. 

Solid main event, I liked turning Wardlow's break-in into making it to a come as you are street fight. Did not see a random QT return like that coming and was shocked Wardlow got just a 4 day run with this reign.

RIHO vs Nyla on Rampage! Similar to Riho/Emi, I always enjoyed their matches together. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

The matches were all very good.

OC-Lethal working body parts was a nice touch and Lethal’s miss of the Injection because of the shoulder looked great. We’re finally getting OC-Jarrett which I didn’t know I needed a couple of months ago.

After my skepticism, they really did a good job of retconning Ruby’s heel turn and making total sense, and she gave a great promo. Fun match, glad it got competitive because I’m a big fan of Skye Blue. Apparently Britt and Jayme can’t be arsed to make a save for the young originals. People were clowning AEW on Twitter for the International Women’s Day post showing a bunch of women who rarely make TV because they never show more than one women’s match.

Glad for FTR to be back. We really need secondary mens tag belts.

Jade made me Google who on the AEW roster is from Canada and Bunny is the only one I could immediately find and they’ve already wrestled this year. Maybe if Jade could lose she could actually move up the card.

Trios was fun enough, AR Fox is amazing, but probably the least match of the night. Top Flight are a perfect example of why they need a secondary tag title. Why make a 3-way trios instead of a match for the #1 contenders?

We’ll miss ya, Bryan. Hope your family convinces you that you want the title for a bit.

I guess beating up Dark Order is the only way to kinda sorta turn BCC heel. Not sure why they need to be, already lots of heel factions. Hellacious beating administered, and some nice feats of strength from Silver. I guess Evil Uno gets a win over Mox in Canadia.

Starting the match in back with a car really had me thinking that the break-in was an angle with Hobbs. Big bump on the windshield by Hobbs. Some perfectly fine clobbering and throwing dudes into things. The top rope to table swanton by Wardlow was amazing stuff. Finish was one of the most deflating ways to end the match that I could have imagined. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dural said:

When Ruby said “outcasts” I wondered if that was the name they were going to settle on. Makes sense and plays on the “Outsiders”/NWO ripoff.

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

Jade made me Google who on the AEW roster is from Canada and Bunny is the only one I could immediately find and they’ve already wrestled this year. Maybe if Jade could lose she could actually move up the card.

So, as @Curt McGirt mentioned, we were trying to figure this out on the Discord. The Bunny is the likely choice. The Bunny deserves a spotlight match, but that would be disappointing. For non-AEW wrestlers, a lot of the major names are tied up with contracts. Does Impact let say a Rosemary or Taya Valkyrie out for one match? Probably not. Indie-wise that leaves Lufisto, Jody Threat..... uh Allison Danger is supposed to be wrestling again soon. Its not like the people are going to pop for an appearance by Taryn from Accounting. Well, I would but I don't see TK doing that.

Who are we forgetting that's a name and not already signed somewhere

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, elizium said:

Liked the show, not an all-timer, but a nice reset after several months of the same angles. Well, except Hangman-Mox which...must...continue. But I suppose that is to get the Dark Order closure.

I am jazzed for next week. Gonna be screaming from the cheap seats.

If anyone should come out to challenge Jade next week, it should be Winnipeg's champion Jody Threat

a5DYGEh.jpg

Was also my first immediate thought for the match

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Wardlow dropping the TNT Championship after winning it three days earlier at AEW Revolution 2023. I wanted Samoa Joe to retain there and keep it on him longer.

But this is the funniest result, so it was the correct choice

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Wardlow dropping the TNT Championship after winning it three days earlier at AEW Revolution 2023. I wanted Samoa Joe to retain there and keep it on him longer.

I would have preferred Darby killing himself in open challenges week after week. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JLowe said:

People were clowning AEW on Twitter for the International Women’s Day post showing a bunch of women who rarely make TV because they never show more than one women’s match.

Rebel returning and joining Saraya's gang and cutting a bitter promo on Baker & Hayter would have been a million times more interesting than QT showing up to fuck over Wardlow. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Rebel returning and joining Saraya's gang avd cutting a bitter promo on Baker & Hayter would have been a million times more interesting than QT showing up to fuck over Wardlow. 

Rebel being gone sounds like Oscar/M.O.M. situation where the person standing outside becomes absolutely obsolete once a turn happens and pretty much disappears altogether. Doesn't help that she wasn't the greatest worker before a litany of injuries either. That last injury she had...that's not a good omen for doing anything physical even as a manager.

• Sad 2

When the rest of Lethal's entourage got sent to the back I thought it was going to lead to a Best Friends heel turn, but maybe that's coming next week. I thought the match was a bit too long, but it was good for what it was. Orange Cassidy gradually getting more and more serious and doing fewer comedy spots is growing on me and Lethal is best when he's being used in a JTTS role.

Good heel promo from Ruby.

If they were going to chump Wardlow like this they should have just made the TV title match a three way and had Hobbs go over after some interference. I didn't realize QT even still worked there and have no desire to see him doing anything and his inclusion didn't do anyone any favors.

A three team trios match is somehow incredibly AEW and should be a clusterfuck. JAS/Elite for the #1 contender spot next week would make more sense. I just hope this doesn't suck HOB into the Jericho/JAS Booking Vortex.

Speaking of pending trios feuds, it looks like BCC are full heels and going to take on whatever is left of Dark Order featuring Hangman now. A full BCC heel turn is a good way to freshen them up, though I don't know if Moxley can get booed. Claudio was a great heel during a portion of the Kings of Wrestlings run (and if this somehow leads to Hero coming back I'll need to bring a change of trousers) so this could work.

TK's announcement was so corny it was almost funny. So now we have an International and a World title?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Rebel being gone sounds like Oscar/M.O.M. situation where the person standing outside becomes absolutely obsolete once a turn happens and pretty much disappears altogether. Doesn't help that she wasn't the greatest worker before a litany of injuries either. That last injury she had...that's not a good omen for doing anything physical even as a manager.

She never wanted to be a manager in the first place, she was happy doing makeup backstage. So I don’t think she’s too bothered by it.

And if we get Nicole Matthews next week, we better do some Australia shows eventually and get Madison fuckin’ Eagles.

• Like 3