DVDVR Message Board

POLL 2/25-3/3/2023- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Toni Storm vs Riho- DYNAMITE
    • Speedball Mike Bailey vs Shane Haste- IMPACT!
    • Kevin Knight vs Kenny King- IMPACT!
    • Ace Austin/ Chris Bey vs Chris Sabin/ Alex Shelley- IMPACT!
    • Mark Davis/ Kyle Fletcher vs John Silver/ Alex Reynolds vs Claudio Castagnolia/ Wheeler Yuta vs Dante Martin/ Darius Martin- RAMPAGE
    • Mercedes Mone vs KAIRI- New Japan on AXS
    • Liv Morgan vs Rhea Ripley- SMACKDOWN
    • 60 Seconds (Jun Tonsho/ Tetsuya Izuchi)/ Shinya Ishida vs Yan's Family (Masato Kamino/ Takanori Ito /Yusuke Kodama)- GLEAT
    • Check Shimatani/ Galeno del Mal vs Oji Shiiba/ Shigehiro Irie- GLEAT
    • STRONGHEARTS (El Lindaman/ T-Hawk) vs BULK Orchestra (Hayato Tamura/ KAZMA SAKAMOTO)- GLEAT
    • Willie Mack vs Zickie Dice- CWFH
    • Chris Brookes/ Masahiro Takanashi vs Gaia Hox/ Rekka- GATOH MOVE
    • Kilynn King vs Queen Aminata- Women's Wrestling Army
    • Mizuki Watase vs Shinichiro Tominaga- Ganbare Pro
    • Face Of The Revolution Ladder Match- DYNAMITE
    • El Barbaro Cavernario/ Hiroshi Tanahashi/ Ryusuke Taguchi vs Master Wato/ Okumura/ YOH- New Japan World
    • Big Bill vs Orange Cassidy- DYNAMITE
    • Emi Sakura vs Riho- RAMPAGE
    • Hokuto Omori/ Minoru Suzuki/ Naruki Doi vs Kento Miyahara/ Rising HAYATO)/ Kotaro Suzuki- All Japan
    • Adrenalina/ Explosivo/ Fantastico/ Angel Rebelde/ Crixus/ Vaquero Jr vs El Hijo de Centella Roja/ Millenium/ Multy/ Perverso/ Prayer/ Rey Samuray- CMLL
    • Marcela/ Princesa Sugehit vs Stephanie Vaquer/ Zeuxis- CMLL
    • Princess Aussie vs Penelope Pink- WOW
    • Santos Escobar vs Dominick Mysterio- SMACKDOWN
    • Konosuke Takeshita vs Lee Johnson- AEW Elevation
    • Lita/ Becky Lynch vs IYO SKY/ Dakota Kai- RAW
    • Adrian Quest, Josh Alexander/ Mascara Dorada/ Rocky Romero vs Kevin Knight/ KUSHIDA/ The DKC/ Volador Jr- New Japan on AXS
    • Asuka vs Carmella- RAW
    • Cody Rhodes vs Chad Gable- RAW
    • Montez Ford/ Angelo Dawkins vs Solo Sikoa/ Jimmy Uso- RAW
    • Solo Sikoa vs Sami Zayn- SMACKDOWN
    • Tony Deppen vs Action Andretti- AEW DARK
    • Dustin Rhodes/ Keith Lee vs Shane Swerve Strickland/ Parker Boudreaux- RAMPAGE
    • Matt Sydal/ Darius Martin/ Dante Martin/ AR Fox vs Sonny Kiss/ Jeeves Kay/ Slim J/ Ari Daivari- AEW DARK
    • Orange Cassidy/ Danhausen vs Anthony Henry/ JD Drake- AEW DARK
    • Tyler Bate vs Carmello Hayes- NXT
    • Hank Walker vs Axiom- NXT
    • Meiko Satomura vs Zoey Stark- NXT
    • Josh Briggs/ Brooks Jensen vs Sanga/ Veer- NXT
    • Wes Lee vs Nathan Frazer- NXT
    • Akira Jumonji/ Fuminori Abe/ Ryo Hoshino vs Kazuma Sumi/ Soma Watanabe/ YOH- New Japan World

Strange week.  LOTS of quality wrestling.  The best was between a couple of matches.  The Face of the Revolution Ladder Match was fucking great.  Emi vs Riho was fucking great.  Cody vs Chad Gable was fucking great.  Nathan Frazer vs Wes Lee was fucking great.  On the fringe, Kilynn King vs Queen Aminata from WWA was fucking great.  There was GIANT wads of Japanese wrestling, the best being Mercedes Mone vs KAIRI and the Abe Fuminori match from the Junior All Star show.  The best show was the ROH show but that was $2.50.  Sorry.   QUITE A CUTLIST!  I stayed in there and fought for the GLEAT.  The GLEAT ruled this week.  There was quality Lucha Libre also.  

CUT LIST: Tae Honma vs Chie Koishikawa- GATOH MOVE;  El Hijo del Villano III/ SHO vs Ryohei Oiwa/ Tiger Mask- New Japan World; Oji Shiiba vs Ryo Inoue- All Japan;  Kosei Fujita/ Rey Cometa vs Just 4 Guys (DOUKI/ Yoshinobu Kanemaru)- New Japan World;  Master Wato/ Tiger Mask vs El Hijo del Villano III/ Gedo- New Japan World;  Skye Blue vs Dream Girl Ellie- AEW DARK;  Heath/ Rhino vs Black Taurus/ Crazzy Steve- IMPACT!;  PJ Hawx vs Joe Alonzo- NWA PowerrR;  Johnny Gargano vs Otis- RAW; Ashley D'Ambroise vs Samantha Starr- NWA PowerrR; Athena vs Danielle Kamela- AEW Elevation; Tiger Mask vs El Hijo del Villano III- New Japan World;  John Hennigan vs Davie Richards- MLW;  Ren Ayabe/ Takao Omori vs Jun Saito/ Rei Saito- All Japan; Capitan Suicida/ Fuego/ Hombre Bala Jr vs Arkalis/ Pegasso/ Stigma- CMLL 

• Like 1

The Dynamite opener is always a sweet spot for me.  By the time I get around to watching AEW on Thursday.  I’m ready to watch my weekly show and probably smoked like a brisket.  I’m so ready to receive wrestling.  

So the likelihood of my being positive and open minded on the opening match is pretty good.  If that means weirdo Orange Cassidy and Bigger Cassidy steal the show?  So be it.

I confess to this glaring execution of bias and one sided arguments. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh, this is going to be a weird one.

Big Bill is the weirdest man to lead the Best Match of the Week Poll for sure, he earned my vote but I almost was swayed by Cody/Gable from RAW.

• Like 2

Profits vs. Solo/Jimmy & Cody/Gable were pretty good and easily the standouts of Raw. The women's tag titles match managed to work something solid out despite Lita being able to offer little. 

Lee/Frazer and Hayes/Bate were so damn good and I honestly might vote for one of them just so they get attention. 

OC/Bill was another fine performance from OC and solid one from Bill. Still not up there with OC's defenses against Sabian, Trent, & Yuta. I found Toni/Riho mostly disappointing. Riho felt too loose and off with most of her offense. Toni looked decent but wasn't enough to compensate. 

The 8-man tag on AXS was fun. I only wish we got more Rocky/Volador. KAIRI/Mercedes was pretty damn good with both women looking great and gelling well together. Dug how things built and how they both busted out a couple of new things.

Rhea/Liv, Santos/Dom, and Solo/Sami were all good. Dom gave one of his best performances so far.

Riho/Emi was good and made up a lot for Riho's performance with Toni.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cody Rhodes-Chad Gable all the way. Gable is incredible. The bumps on the Cody Cutter and Cross Rhodes, in particular, were as good as any off those moves that I've ever seen. Shout out to the equally excellent streamers from Fox-Castignoli, Takeshita-Woods, and Briscoe-Slim J. 

Honorable mention to the excellent Riho-Emi Sakura bout from Rampage.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Caught the GLEAT matches. They were fine, but felt like typical Japanese house show matches. 

The CMLL matches were fun, but nothing spectacular. 

Not sure if I will check out anything else. Leaning towards Bates/Hayes or Lee/Frazer right now. 

• Like 1