DVDVR Message Board

UFC 285: Jones vs. Gane (03/04/2023) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

331321797_936669871032668_74548777218942

UFC 285: Jones vs. Gane 
March 4, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones (248) vs. Ciryl Gane (247.5) (vacant) - Jones, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:04)
UFC Women's Flyweight Championship: Valentina Shevchenko © (124.5) vs. Alexa Grasso (124.5) (eighth defense) - Grasso, SUB (rear naked choke), R4 (4:34)
Geoff Neal (175)** vs. Shavkat Rakhmonov (171) - Rakhmonov, SUB (standing rear naked choke), R3 (4:17)
Mateusz Gamrot (156) vs. Jalin Turner (155.5) - Gamrot, DEC (split)
Bo Nickal (185.5) vs. Jamie Pickett (186) - Nickal, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (2:54)

ESPN+ / ESPNews Preliminary Card:
Cody Garbrandt (136) vs. Trevin Jones (135) - Garbrandt, DEC (unanimous)
Derek Brunson (185.5) vs. Dricus du Plessis (185) - Du Plessis, TKO (punches), R2 (4:59)
Viviane Araújo (126) vs. Amanda Ribas (126) - Ribas, DEC (unanimous)
Julian Marquez (186) vs. Marc-André Barriault (185) - Barriault, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:12)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Ian Garry (171) vs. Kenan Song (171) - Garry, TKO (strikes), R3 (4:22)
Cameron Saaiman (135) vs. Leomana Martinez (137)* - Saaiman, DEC (majority)
Jessica Penne (116) vs. Tabatha Ricci (115.5) - Ricci, SUB (armbar), R2 (2:14)
Da’Mon Blackshear (136) vs. Farid Basharat (136) - Basharat, DEC (unanimous)
Esteban Ribovics (156) vs. Loik Radzhabov (155.5) - Radzhabov, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Bo Nickal
Performance of the Night: Alexa Grasso
Performance of the Night: Jon Jones 
Fight of the Night: Geoff Neal vs. Shavkat Rakhmonov

Attendance: 19,471
Gate: $12.1 million

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Going full tinfoil on this one. Jon Jones' last two opponents were Middleweights who have gone a combined 1-7 since fighting him, and both of them should have been given the win. Gane wins by something.

Outside of Volkov maybe, I don't think Ciryl has beaten anyone like Reyes and Marreta at the time Jon fought them.

i think that Gane is a super well rounded heavyweight, and if he had started an MMA career earlier, he could potentially be an all-time great. i think he has all the skills in the world, but the fight against Ngannou showed me that he might not be the best at adapting mid fight. he's fought a lot of pure strikers, and had a lot of success. but he's practically untested against wrestlers. i think Jones' versatility will win him this one. 

Jones is absolutely on the downturn of his career (despite being only 35!) and after multiple multi-year layoffs, anything can obviously happen. 

• Like 1

Just based on the style matchup, I am expecting a not so fan friendly, tactical fight. That said, it may behoove Gane to jump on Jon ASAP because Jon has spent what feels like an eternity out of the cage. With Gane not being someone who takes a lot of risks, it's just hard to see. 

This fight just has all the makings of someone feeling like they've won and controlled at least 3 rounds and then losing a split decision and folks being pissed as a result.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:54 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Just based on the style matchup, I am expecting a not so fan friendly, tactical fight. That said, it may behoove Gane to jump on Jon ASAP because Jon has spent what feels like an eternity out of the cage. With Gane not being someone who takes a lot of risks, it's just hard to see. 

This fight just has all the makings of someone feeling like they've won and controlled at least 3 rounds and then losing a split decision and folks being pissed as a result.

So you're saying Jones by decision then

I've been so set on wanting Taila or Erin to be champ that Alexa Grasso kinda came out of nowhere as a contender, but she's always kept a good record too all this time. I guess I still think of Grasso as a strawweight at times. As much as I want Erin to be next champ now, I've always loved Grasso too since her and Aldana came in to Invicta together back in 2014, so I'll have to root for her still. Too bad they couldn't land Nunes/Aldana on this card with it as rumored at one point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

So you're saying Jones by decision then

Maybe? 

I think if both guys come in super conservative as both have fought in the past and there isn't much to choose from in turns of decisive blows landed, I think we should save the MMA is rigged/we got to do something about the judging takes that normally follow these type of major fights. If we get a quick finish or the fight ends out of nowhere, then bully for whoever wins. However, based on the style matchup, I am ready for hot take central afterwards.

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I've been so set on wanting Taila or Erin to be champ that Alexa Grasso kinda came out of nowhere as a contender, but she's always kept a good record too all this time. I guess I still think of Grasso as a strawweight at times. As much as I want Erin to be next champ now, I've always loved Grasso too since her and Aldana came in to Invicta together back in 2014, so I'll have to root for her still. Too bad they couldn't land Nunes/Aldana on this card with it as rumored at one point.

I am glad that both Grasso and Aldana basically evolved past girls who can really box, but if it goes elsewhere, they are both deer in headlights. In years past, everyone in the UK would get flack for not knowing how to wrestle but Mexico wasn't exactly producing people who looked like Division I All-American wrestlers. I mean people basically got down on Yair Rodriguez had that fight with Frankie Edgar. I think each one of them (from Grasso to Aldana to Brandon Moreno to Yair) have had those fights where they got manhandled and had to show some resilience. If they didn't learn from it, they were destined to wash out of the UFC.

Now that said, Valentina is much stronger than your average female fighter. She straight up grown womaned Andrade and just went to work on her in the crucifix position. Grasso's defensive wrestling has improved, but it ain't that improved. I give Grasso a shot if it stays upright, but that's a tough ask for someone who is coming up in weight.

• Like 1

Hoping Jon Jones gets starched for a pre birthday present. The eye pokes, pissing hot and criminality away from the Octagon. Thought Bones lost to Gus, Santos and especially Reyes.

Edited by The Natural

I'm interested to see what Jones' gas tank looks like out there. He looks too heavy to me. 

Uncle Chael is going with the narrative that wrestling leaves first in a fighter, and Jones looked like he was not confidant in his wrestling before the break. Chael talks a lot of shit, but this point seems worth thinking about.

If Jones is too heavy he might be surprised at how much effort it takes to go down there and get a double leg. It's partly why, with the exception of the Lewis fight, Cormier stopped leaning on his wrestling at heavyweight. 

Of course Jon is talking about if Francis can do it to Gane, he can too. He's probably right, but he might also be trying to convince himself that it'll be there when he needs it. I guess we'll all find out.

Either way if his tank is there in anyway and he can move decent, I think he wins in any which way he wants. I think Gane is good, but not that good.

• Like 1

I simultaneously respect Joe Rogan for shaming Sean O'Malley for not knowing who Enson Inoue is and in no way judge Sean O'Malley for not knowing who Enson Inoue is. Unless Suga wants to start hanging around the wrong izakaya joints-slash-backroom tattoo parlors 

20 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I simultaneously respect Joe Rogan for shaming Sean O'Malley for not knowing who Enson Inoue is and in no way judge Sean O'Malley for not knowing who Enson Inoue is. Unless Suga wants to start hanging around the wrong izakaya joints-slash-backroom tattoo parlors 

It's been long enough to where a good portion of the UFC roster wasn't even alive or old enough to have actual memories when Enson would have been fighting.

Derek Brunson finds some interesting ways to lose. That is one of the few times I remember a corner in a UFC being like, "yeah, I seen enough." In boxing, I have seen it countless times. But the UFC? This is a rarity.

Not sure about how he fought the last round though. Did he want Trevin to fight his way back into the fight? If you're gunshy about getting hit, the last thing you want to do is be inactive.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not sure about how he fought the last round though. Did he want Trevin to fight his way back into the fight? If you're gunshy about getting hit, the last thing you want to do is be inactive.

Agreed. Dangerous combination of slowing down from all the movement in 1 & 2, and knowing he was up and deciding to coast.

• Like 1