DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2022-23: PERIOD 3

Dolfan in NYC

The LA Kings traded Jonathan Quick

I am not sure why any team would want Quick right now outside of possibly tricking rubes into buying tickets.

Still a little weird that LA actually did pull the trigger though

Bruins get Tyler Bertuzzi from Detroit for a 1st rd pick and another pick. 

Detroit also got a 1st from Vancouver in return for Filip Hronek. 

Yzerman keeps piling up the draft picks... 

With their 7-1 win over the Sabres last night, the Bruins become the fastest team in NHL history to 100 points*

* - Boston improved to 48-8-5 in its 61st game, besting the Montreal team from 1976-77 that reached 100 points in 62 games when there were regulation ties and no extra points for overtime or shootout victories. The Bruins have seven points for overtime and shootout victories in their 101 points.

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

Jets sat around with a thumb up their ass at the trade deadline. This offseason when they offload everyone but Morrisey, Ehlers and Connor will be fun. 

Honestly they should. 2017 was a long time ago. It’s clear that this core has topped out as borderline playoff team. I don’t know what you can do about Wheeler, but he and Scheifele should be moved on from. 

The Philadelphia Flyers have fired general manager and president of hockey operations Chuck Fletcher, the team announced Friday.

Daniel Briere will serve as the interim general manager as the team looks to fill the GM and president of hockey operations roles separately. Briere, a former Flyers forward who had been serving as a special assistant to the general manager, will be considered for the full-time role

The team basically said it needed to rebuild and it is strongly implied that Fletcher not making any moves at the trade deadline sped up his ouster

I am only a minute into the Big City version of the game between Capitals and Rangers and Kevin Weeks cartoon image is the stuff of nightmares 

I dont know if this is better than the Nick NFL version because the quality of action at times is shaky but it is fun to watch and doesn't take away from following the action.  

Edited by hammerva

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Rangers are up 6-0 on the Preds

It is still the first period

As a follow up - the Rangers won 7-0

They became the 6th team in NHL history to win back to back shutouts in which they scored at least 6 goals (they had beaten the Penguins 6-0 on Saturday)

• 3 weeks later...

Connor McDavid became the sixth player in NHL history to record a 150 point season, the first since Mario Lemieux in 95-96.

Interestingly, of the previous five players and combined 16 seasons they hit 150 points (Lemieux 4 times, Gretzky 9 times, one each for Phil Esposito, Steve Yzerman, and Bernie Nichols) 80% of players and 25% of 150 point seasons happened in the 1988-89 season. No idea what was happening with goal tending and defense that year.

• Thanks 1

Sidney Crosby becomes the 15th player to reach 1500 points (He is the 6th fastest to do so)

Crosby also became the 7th player to score 1500 points for one team and the 12th player to score 90 points in a season age 35 or older

So I looked up Bernie Nicholls because I wasn't familiar with him. He had just one other 100 point season, and is was exactly 100, a few year before his explosion. He's one of 8 players to score 70 goals in a season in addition to being one of the six to score a 150 points.

And the same year he became only the fifth player to score 150, he also finished fourth in points.

He was a three time all-star and is not in the hall of fame.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Connor McDavid became the sixth player in NHL history to record a 150 point season, the first since Mario Lemieux in 95-96.

Interestingly, of the previous five players and combined 16 seasons they hit 150 points (Lemieux 4 times, Gretzky 9 times, one each for Phil Esposito, Steve Yzerman, and Bernie Nichols) 80% of players and 25% of 150 point seasons happened in the 1988-89 season. No idea what was happening with goal tending and defense that year.

It's weird how stuff like that works. Baseball in 1968, etc. 

It's wild how different hockey used to be. In 91/92, teams AVERAGED 49 minutes in penalties (combined) per game. 49!  Now they average 18. 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So I looked up Bernie Nicholls because I wasn't familiar with him. He had just one other 100 point season, and is was exactly 100, a few year before his explosion. He's one of 8 players to score 70 goals in a season in addition to being one of the six to score a 150 points.

And the same year he became only the fifth player to score 150, he also finished fourth in points.

He was a three time all-star and is not in the hall of fame.

Bernie is sort of like Dennis Maruk, a decent enough player who took advantage of the era they played in to have a couple monster seasons. Bernie fell off a cliff after turning 30. Couldn't stay healthy and his scoring dried up. Even at his peak, I don't think anyone actually considered him to be a super well rounded player or one of the best in the league, it was just a time of insane stats. It's pretty telling that he did not even receive a single Hart Trophy vote his entire career

Edited by elizium

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

It's weird how stuff like that works. Baseball in 1968, etc. 

It's wild how different hockey used to be. In 91/92, teams AVERAGED 49 minutes in penalties (combined) per game. 49!  Now they average 18. 

Yeah the first thing it made me think of was the NFL season coming off the lockout... 2011, maybe? Where Tom Brady would've set a new single season passing yardage record except Brees got there first, and Stafford also joined the 5,000 yard club (and Aaron Rodgers was on pace to if the Pack hadn't sat him the season finale in what turned into the Matt Flynn game against the Lions.)

Only Marino and Brees had ever thrown for 5,000 before that, and I believe it's still the only season more than one QB has.