DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

14 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

It's not like AEW doesn't have someone who worked a fast food gimmick on the roster already.  Hot, spicy, and tastes great!

Yes, I'm aware of him, Sushi, Nino Hamburgesa, etc.. That's why I was surprised that I somehow missed someone doing a Whattaburger gimmick. 

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

You ever hear how the original ending of Rocky IV has Rocky going back to the locker room and meeting up with Apollo and Micky and he realizes he’s dead?

holy shit, no, i never heard that, but that is amazing.

16 hours ago, Dog said:

Shit. I just realized Takeshita is gonna be the guy who attacked the Bucks. 😢

i had that same realization watching Dynamite. Callis' reactions clued me in to where this was going, and i'm here for it.

• Like 1

When the Mox-Punk squash happened, which I saw live in Cleveland, I loved it because fuck Punk, but I even said at the time it didn't make any sense. It makes even less sense in retrospect. You could have just waited and did the match at the PPV if Punk wasn't cleared. Unless "Mox wouldn't job" means he wouldn't lose the interim title unless he won the real title first. In which case, fuck Mox a little bit, but also still fuck Punk. It's like fuck Bret for not jobbing to Shawn but also Shawn was a prick so fuck him too.

Anyway, fuck Punk. Him calling out Hangman was the catalyst for all of this. I think Tony was kind of backed into a corner though. You can't really reprimand Punk when you have a crown in his hometown three weeks later expecting him to win the belt.

Really, if you still want to do Rocky III at this point. Have Punk lose the PPV match, and build to a rematch after that, with Mox or MJF. In retrospect, you shouldn't've put the belt on Punk in the first place. Have MJF beat Hangman, either at All Out or sometime after Forbidden Door, and build to Punk challenging MJF down the line. Again, the issue is wanting Punk to have a big win in his hometown, especially after losing to MJF in Chicago earlier in the year.

Fuck Punk is my point. Can't forget that.

I will add that I also have never seen any of the Rocky films, except for the last hour of Rocky V on cable once. I'm a pretty big film nerd but some things you just don't get around to. However, I am six years younger than Punk, so that's my excuse.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On the subject of Billie Starkz: on the one hand she's young, but on the other, people say she's had more matches than many of the current top women's stars. If that's true, shouldn't she be better than they are? Or at least comparable? What I've seen of her doesn't bear that out. If she has all this experience, but still isn't great, does that mean she doesn't have as much of an upside as a lot of people think she does?

Edited by Dog

7 minutes ago, Dog said:

On the subject of Billie Starz: on the one hand she's young, but on the other, people say she's had more matches than many of the current top women's stars. If that's true, shouldn't she be better than they are? Or at least comparable? What I've seen of her doesn't bear that out. If she has all this experience, but still isn't great, does that mean she doesn't have as much of an upside as a lot of people think she does?

It's perfectly possible she's been in situations where one might develop bad habits too and if she's willing to learn, working with experienced wrestlers and agents in a more high profile/high pressure situation will help her hone her already existent instincts.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

I was gonna say something about Chris Masters showing us that ANYBODY can become a better pro wrestler if they put the work in, then it made me wonder what other folks started as real channel changers and eventually became capable to DAMN GOOD performers - and how much of it was environment/learning from wrestlers around them?

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I was gonna say something about Chris Masters showing us that ANYBODY can become a better pro wrestler if they put the work in, then it made me wonder what other folks started as real channel changers and eventually became capable to DAMN GOOD performers - and how much of it was environment/learning from wrestlers around them?

Darren Young > Fred Rosser

Lance Hoyt > Lance Archer

New Japan can do wonderful things if you actually take advantage of the opportunity they're giving you

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Found Footage Friday this week looks to be three Cannonball Grizzly matches.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, zendragon said:

You ever hear how the original ending of Rocky IV has Rocky going back to the locker room and meeting up with Apollo and Micky and he realizes he’s dead?

Hadn't heard that one, but the original script for Rocky V had Rocky dying in Adrian's arms after the street fight with Tommy killed him, but the studio argued that Rocky was too beloved and iconic to kill off so he changed it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elizium said:

Its all personal taste, but I think Billie Starkz is legitimately better than pretty much the entire main roster women's division. She's no Hayter, but no one is

I was going to say, I'd already have her in the top 5ish from the little I've seen in her YouTube matches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Nikki Bella and Trish Stratus.

I don't know if Christian fully counts because his team with Edge was great stuff, but as singles guy he was painfully boring until he went to TNA. Some combination of being the big fish in a small pond, a promotion backing him with confidence, and working with fresh faces made his matches must-see pretty quickly.

Currently in AEW, Big Bill.

• Like 3

I remember loving Christian’s singles run in WWE up until WrestleMania 20 (and then for a little bit after) when he was a heel with Trish. Maybe that’s just me though. I’d have to go back and watch it again, but at the time I distinctly remember thinking Jericho/Christian was the MOTN and that they had something going with him. Then Jericho just steamrolled over him that entire feud + being injured.

Then the next year he was gone, and I believe Jericho took a break for a few years in 2005 as well so it was like… why even have Jericho go over Christian that much? Goddamn.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Pardon me if this was already posted somewhere... 

Moxley to address the CM Punk IG post tomorrow and more on Renee's pod.
https://411mania.com/wrestling/jon-moxley-address-cm-punk-instagram-post-renee-paquette-podcast/

He didn't really address it. He barely even wanted to talk about it. He talked more about how he worked without a contract the entire summer and tried to bend over backward to put Punk over. That was all that was said.

That and he thinks social media sucks and most people in the back just want to come to work and do their job, but instead you have one dickhead put out a tweet and that's all anyone talks about instead of how fucking rad Omega vs Vikingo was. And he's right. All of social media is a fucking pox. Stop being catty little bitches and get off this shit where you can vague tweet or hint at heat and whatever. That includes Punk, Dax, TK, etc. 

Basically, just show up for work, stop being a cunt, and do you job because it's the best job in the fucking world. Period.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

And as another example, all day people are going to try and dissect something that isn't there in Moxley's comments instead of talking about and getting amped up for JAMIE FUCKING HAYTER VS RIHO on Wednesday or MOTHERFUCKING SHIBATA VS YUTA on Friday.

I feel like Dr. Dre when shit detracts from cool shit. So fuck y'all, all of y'all, if you don't like me, blow me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He didn't really address it. He barely even wanted to talk about it. He talked more about how he worked without a contract the entire summer and tried to bend over backward to put Punk over. That was all that was said.

That and he thinks social media sucks and most people in the back just want to come to work and do their job, but instead you have one dickhead put out a tweet and that's all anyone talks about instead of how fucking rad Omega vs Vikingo was. And he's right. All of social media is a fucking pox. Stop being catty little bitches and get off this shit where you can vague tweet or hint at heat and whatever. That includes Punk, Dax, TK, etc. 

Basically, just show up for work, stop being a cunt, and do you job because it's the best job in the fucking world. Period.

Don't forget he put over Marina Shafir big time too!

Just now, Krone said:

Oh yeah, he put over Shafir so much that when I go on a wrestling binge on Friday, I might be tempted to order that Bloodsport show she was on to see if his hype was warranted. He made her sound really fucking cool on that Bloodsport show, saying that's what she should be doing on TV...if we could afford to have more than one women's match and women's storyline per Dynamite.

Also from the Moxley interview, I enjoyed hearing Renee give him shit for the stuff he leaves on his nightstand and his reaction of, "yeah but I bring it downstairs the next morning....ok, I don't always do that, but I do get to it eventually!" It made me feel not alone because I swear my wife and I have had the same conversation about a thousand times.

That and Moxley's take on cats. He doesn't fully trust them. I think he should. Cats rule.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Krone said:

I can think of few better for her to learn from than Mox and the other BCC guys - she's got that no BS shooter look down pat. I'm thinking she's gonna be one of those who's stuff improves greatly with the additional reps on house shows and ROH. She def looked more comfortable in the last match I saw her in (I THINK a Nyla tag from Dark)

• Like 3

Yeah. Moxley is slowly rising up my ranks of all time favorites. I was surprised to hear him talk about how much happier he is to live in the city and thinks Claudio is crazy to live out in the country, with Renee describing Claudio's crib as a "compound" on the outskirts of Orlando where he spends his days taking down wasp nests.

Man, fuck AEW All Access. We need a BCC All Access show.

• Like 2