DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

On 3/24/2023 at 5:31 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

T had the unique charisma though. Watch the press conference scene from Rocky III and it comes across immediately.

Morrison never even displayed that in boxing. Granted, they (HBO and his real life promoter Tony Holden) tried their best to downplay his partying (which was his undoing in more ways than one) in favor of this good old, down home Okie boy who just loves having fun. No one was like....movie star.

Gina Carano (pre antisemitic scandal) starring in a Steven Soderbergh film is wild too seeing as she has/had the acting chops of a wet cardboard box, but she was a bombshell from a visual aesthetic point of view. Crazy, but you still could see it.

Stallone wanted real boxers, Holyfield was offered the Part of Union Cane but didn’t want to lose. Union Cane was played by Micheal Williams who was a real life boxer, also Anthony Tarver is in Rocky Balboa

personally I think it’s interesting to watch the series morph from 70s character study to 80 action film with 4

• Like 4

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Good luck trying to chance any of Dave’s quirks at this point.

The AEW quirk that bugs me is calling Jordan's, Lebron's and other basketball sneakers "tennis shoes".

This weeks issue has "Guevara said he had to spend ten years on the indies and work as Whattaburger and Subway". I missed that as was a typo for at, and thought how could I have missed someone working as a fast food character.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

Stallone wanted real boxers, Holyfield was offered the Part of Union Cane but didn’t want to lose. Union Cane was played by Micheal Williams who was a real life boxer, also Anthony Tarver is in Rocky Balboa

personally I think it’s interesting to watch the series morph from 70s character study to 80 action film with 4

I think you mean ANTONIO Tarver. Anthony Tarver sounds like a great NXT name though.

Yeah, I understand he wanted boxers. To be fair to Morrison, after having watched Tyson vs. Bruno II (poor Frank got annihilated) where he worked as analyst shortly after his HIV diagnosis, he did have enough flare and well spoken enough to probably be a color commentator which isn't the easiest role in the world. It's just that I dunno if he had the acumen to play protege who gets too big of an ego. It also makes less sense cause Morrison was a very big guy who looked like an All-American middle linebacker and older, brain damaged Rocky Balboa with a bunch of wear and tear who might be 5'7" beating him in a street fight did nothing for the Rocky character. It's the Doomsday cage match at Uncensored 1996, where the entire premise is preposterous. Due to them trying to paint outside the lines in IV, they paid the price dearly on where they could go with V.

The only reasonable trajectory based on the first four films is killing Rocky at that point. We've reached the zenith of what we could do with the Rocky Balboa character at the time. 

17 minutes ago, ka-to said:

The AEW quirk that bugs me is calling Jordan's, Lebron's and other basketball sneakers "tennis shoes".

This weeks issue has "Guevara said he had to spend ten years on the indies and work as Whattaburger and Subway". I missed that as was a typo for at, and thought how could I have missed someone working as a fast food character.

I still do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenalysis said:

It's not like AEW doesn't have someone who worked a fast food gimmick on the roster already.  Hot, spicy, and tastes great!

I would be all for an appearance by Flip D Burger, esp if accompanied by Moohammed. 

• Like 1

Konosuke Takeshita: Works at Cinnabon so he can stay in the US, moonlights as a pro wrestler

On that note: I always wondered how Big Bossman managed to be a prison guard AND a full time pro wrestler. Did he take a private jet back to Cobb County after working a spot show in Binghamton, NY? Why would he become a pro wrestler when his job probably requires 24 hour supervision of wards of the state?

A fast food worker makes the most sense because you can at least say you have chains across the country and said person can drop in at any time when restaurants are short staffed which is all the goddamn time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Shit. I just realized Takeshita is gonna be the guy who attacked the Bucks. 😢

I initially thought Callis being behind the attack was too obvious. But Takeshita doing it at Callis's bidding would be both shocking and logical. So you might be on to something.

• Sad 3

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The only reasonable trajectory based on the first four films is killing Rocky at that point. We've reached the zenith of what we could do with the Rocky Balboa character at the time. 

You ever hear how the original ending of Rocky IV has Rocky going back to the locker room and meeting up with Apollo and Micky and he realizes he’s dead?

On a different note you know howTony K paid for Jeff Hardy’s rehab ? He need to do the same for Punks therapy. This latest instabroohaha has me feeling he’s not well

16 minutes ago, zendragon said:

You ever hear how the original ending of Rocky IV has Rocky going back to the locker room and meeting up with Apollo and Micky and he realizes he’s dead?

No. However, it did make sense for the final movie to end in a Jesus Chavez vs. Leavander Johnson (not to be morbid or disrespect the memory of Leavander) type scenario where he takes a bunch of punishment in a tough loss and somehow has the strength to get back to the locker room under his own power. Then, he collapses and has to be rushed to the hospital. Then you can do something like that.

If you're going to include Morrison, you can put him in the Larry Holmes role vs. Muhammad Ali. Holmes being a former sparring partner earlier in his career was now the young champion out to prove something. Despite loving Ali like everyone else, he felt he needed to earn that respect and beat Ali from pillar to post. That had to be Ali's second or third comeback after some short retirements. It always made sense that Rocky's career end like Ali's since Muhammad famously ribbed Stallone about the Rocky story being secretly based on him and not Chuck Wepner. You can logically do the he got greedy and came back one too many times. Ali was able to beat Leon Spinks in the rematch in New Orleans and be the first person to regain the HW title multiple times after losing to Leon in the first bout. He retired and then came back when it was clear the effects of all the punishment he had endured had taken a clear toll on him. You can have it where Rocky beat Drago but Tommy Gunn is just a step too far at that age and stage of his life.

• Like 1

Meltzer continued digging himself deeper in a hole with this morning's WOR. I sat there listening to this guy say he wished he didn't make that post on his message board or that he wished he told the full story and now a bunch of people are mad at him and blah blah blah. YA THINK?!? Maybe, oh, I don't know, either not post something making it sound like you're a know it all or if you do really have to post something on your message board, say the whole thing. This is just Meltzer realizing the mess he created after the fact and trying to dig himself out when he just keeps getting deeper. Just stop digging man.

People joke about taking TK's keyboard away. Someone take Meltzer's keyboard away.

• Like 2

People went gaga over the idea of Punk vs the Elite based on all of this stuff, but it's pretty clear at this point that if he's going to come back, the only possible thing that would work and have value is having him be a much better version of Chris Jericho working younger guys in three month programs. Punk vs Starks. Punk vs Hobbs. Punk vs Wardlow. Punk vs Garcia. Punk vs Acclaimed. Punk vs Moriarty, etc. A lot of those guys (but not all, just a subsection) are the ones that still say nice things about him, in the margins, and I think it'd make Punk happiest and it'd help the company the most. He's apparently alienated every main eventer but maybe Danielson and MJF. Fine. Let him work the kids. Win-win, at least until he gets pissy that he's a bigger star than everyone and working the mid-card, but if he really wants to come back, that's the way in.

• Like 3

Would AEW benefit from having BTE on cable television as opposed to YouTube? Hear me out, I'm aware that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it seems like it would do a much better job of showing the wrestlers outside of the ring whilst continuing storylines in the process. Being able to see some of these guys in their goofy environments as opposed to always the confines of the squared circle. For some reason, I just think that it would be a better way of potentially bringing in fans who maybe aren't as familiar with the in ring product in a different way. You replace the All Access show with something like that and it not only helps your actual weekly wrestling shows, but may also drag in some of those casual fans as well. Admittedly I haven't watched too many BTE's recently, but there was a time where it was mandatory weekly viewing and I think something of this ilk would be brand new to the world of cable wrestling (or maybe I'm forgetting something). 

53 minutes ago, Matt D said:

People went gaga over the idea of Punk vs the Elite based on all of this stuff, but it's pretty clear at this point that if he's going to come back, the only possible thing that would work and have value is having him be a much better version of Chris Jericho working younger guys in three month programs. Punk vs Starks. Punk vs Hobbs. Punk vs Wardlow. Punk vs Garcia. Punk vs Acclaimed. Punk vs Moriarty, etc. A lot of those guys (but not all, just a subsection) are the ones that still say nice things about him, in the margins, and I think it'd make Punk happiest and it'd help the company the most. He's apparently alienated every main eventer but maybe Danielson and MJF. Fine. Let him work the kids. Win-win, at least until he gets pissy that he's a bigger star than everyone and working the mid-card, but if he really wants to come back, that's the way in.

I agree with all of this, but I think, in a perfect world, you have him at least briefly feud with the Elite when he first comes back. Not doing that is just leaving money on the table. After that, you cycle him into the role you're describing there.

50 minutes ago, Krone said:

Would AEW benefit from having BTE on cable television as opposed to YouTube? Hear me out, I'm aware that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it seems like it would do a much better job of showing the wrestlers outside of the ring whilst continuing storylines in the process. Being able to see some of these guys in their goofy environments as opposed to always the confines of the squared circle. For some reason, I just think that it would be a better way of potentially bringing in fans who maybe aren't as familiar with the in ring product in a different way. You replace the All Access show with something like that and it not only helps your actual weekly wrestling shows, but may also drag in some of those casual fans as well. Admittedly I haven't watched too many BTE's recently, but there was a time where it was mandatory weekly viewing and I think something of this ilk would be brand new to the world of cable wrestling (or maybe I'm forgetting something). 

I think it's too early to write off All Access yet, especially since it hasn't even debuted!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Log said:

I agree with all of this, but I think, in a perfect world, you have him at least briefly feud with the Elite when he first comes back. Not doing that is just leaving money on the table. After that, you cycle him into the role you're describing there.

Both are good ideas, but it has to be whatever makes it feel like it's not disconnected from the rest of AEW. Otherwise, you will end up with Codyverse Part II with him feuding with Parker Boudreaux and Tony Nese. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Krone said:

Doubtful, considering how they’ve treated the show over the last year or so.  Long gone are the bored hotel bound nothing better to do skits and production that helped create the buzz early AEW had. Same with pandemic era Dark Order having a dedicated room to do all their fun silliness.  Hangman is most likely tied up with child rearing so his contributions have been minimal.  

They just don’t have the time or interest like they used to or so it would seem.  At least that’s what recent episodes seem to reflect.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Both are good ideas, but it has to be whatever makes it feel like it's not disconnected from the rest of AEW. Otherwise, you will end up with Codyverse Part II with him feuding with Parker Boudreaux and Tony Nese. 

Having Menard commentate on Elevation (and Jericho occasionally on Rampage) helps ME feel like the JAS is still connected to other stuff, even when Jericho is feuding with only Starks and Andretti for three months, but I realize that's not exactly the experience the wide swath of the audience is getting.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I think it's too early to write off All Access yet, especially since it hasn't even debuted!

Oh please don't get it twisted, I'm not trying to write it off. I'm merely trying to think of ways to innovate the landscape vs. the reality drama series' that we have seen over the years from Total Divas to Rhodes to the Top.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:58 PM, odessasteps said:

I put Black and Vega as arguably the couple with most dissimilar wrestling styles. 

I meant guys who outkicked their coverage. Lol.

• Like 1

Surprised there actually isn't a thread for All Access already.

They sneak premiered the first episode on Saturday. I don't think it's going to accomplish what they want it to, because it focuses too much on wrestling. Total Divas used wrestling as the thinnest of backdrops for personal stories. This started with the wrestling, and painted the personal stuff on top.