DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

This is all just really sad. I’m not entirely sure Punk is 100% to blame, but he takes a huge share of it for sure.

I'm a firm believer that Jericho and the Bucks have been politicking like crazy, but Punk has done himself no favors. All he had to do was keep his head down and mouth shut publicly. Instead, he took every single piece of bait, hung Tony and the company out to dry, and now this. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Oh man, Mesi was such a disappointment. After Jirov he was supposed to face a washed-up Tyson at the Bills stadium in front of 60,000 people, and then after that challenge Hasim Rahman for the title in either Buffalo or Rahman's home of Rochester. He even flew to meet Rocky Marciano's family and got their blessing to beat Marciano's undefeated streak.

Rahman would have been an easy win, but I think either Klitschko would have murdered him

That sounds like regular delusional promoter stuff. Everyone was going to fight Tyson in and around the time he left Don King. Plus, Rahman had already lost the titles back to Lennox and was going through a tough stretch by the time Mesi would have fought Jirov.

Rahman wasn't the greatest but he wasn't the easiest matchup. He was slow and lumbering especially once after the 2nd Lewis fight, but he wasn't a pushover. Plus, Jirov was a cruiserweight and less than a year removed from that absolutely crazy, barnburner fight with (speak of the devil) James Toney that probably took years off Jirov's career as a top fighter and effectively ruined him physically. 

Yeah, he doesn't beat either Vitali or Wladimir. In a talent depraved era, he probably would have lost a boring, pedestrian decision to Chris Byrd like seemingly a bunch of the HW pretenders did at the time.

13 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

I'm a firm believer that Jericho and the Bucks have been politicking like crazy, but Punk has done himself no favors. All he had to do was keep his head down and mouth shut publicly. Instead, he took every single piece of bait, hung Tony and the company out to dry, and now this. 

It's essentially Bret and Shawn in 1997 with no actual person to really root for and 100% more Ace Steel.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, southofheavy said:

V is a comedic masterpiece. 

Also, wrestling, KISS and the Rocky films are three of my favorite things in life. Thanks, everyone.  

Co-signed on that!

On the topic of the Rocky 3 build and all that, that was my immediate first thought back during it with Ace as Apollo during that promo where Punk was wanting to give up but Ace had to come out and yell at him to basically find the Eye of the Tiger again. Personally loved it and thought it was great hype for that PPV match.

Catching up on the last few pages with stuff like the Fabulous Ones beat it, one thing's for sure and that is wrestling will always need more music videos like back then.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I totally agree with that sentiment, but for a world title match? You need to go off the air with that. They did it and then rolled on with rest of the show. I honestly totally forgot about it by the end of the show.

You can't really go off the air with it, as you gotta start them in the expectation you go long.  If you start it 5 mins before end of show, folks know something screwy about to happen.

Sometimes your pacing has to be a bit awkward to keep things fresh.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, southofheavy said:

V is a comedic masterpiece. 

Also, wrestling, KISS and the Rocky films are three of my favorite things in life. Thanks, everyone. 

P.S. This reminds me: I need to go see Creed 3. 

You really do:

9. Rocky V (1990).

8. Creed II (2018).

7. Rocky II (1979).

6. Rocky III (1982).

5. Rocky IV (1985).

4. Creed III (2023).

3. Creed (2015).

2. Rocky Balboa (2006).

1. Rocky (1976).

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's essentially Bret and Shawn in 1997 with no actual person to really root for and 100% more Ace Steel.

I always rooted for Bret Hart.

• Thanks 1

Does anybody know how it feels to miss out on both the pre-sale and sale of the biggest live wrestling event your home city has hosted since Wrestlemania 6... and then you find out some crosstown buds have an extra ticket come Saturday!? I'm going to Forbidden Door and I could not be happier! Thanks for letting me share that. 

• Like 21

58 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Does anybody know how it feels to miss out on both the pre-sale and sale of the biggest live wrestling event your home city has hosted since Wrestlemania 6... and then you find out some crosstown buds have an extra ticket come Saturday!? I'm going to Forbidden Door and I could not be happier! Thanks for letting me share that. 

So glad you got a ticket bro! 👊🏽👊🏽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

You can't really go off the air with it, as you gotta start them in the expectation you go long.  If you start it 5 mins before end of show, folks know something screwy about to happen.

That's why you don't do the MNW thing of going off the air like that. As a Mid South fan, I am surprised Tony Khan hasn't done the standby match yet. At the very least, do the Memphis expiration of time match. That second women's match you guys been waiting for the last 3 and 1/2 years? WE FOUND ONE! Give Miyu Yamashita someone she can kick for like 5 or 6 minutes or have a great TV match with. There are probably folks that haven't been on or had a match on Dynamite in multiple years now. They would probably love to be in that spot.

5 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

Sometimes your pacing has to be a bit awkward to keep things fresh.

When you're dealing with a world title though and apparently what's suppose to be a major angle, you gotta throw your full weight behind it. Doing it in the middle of the show has the risk of potentially coming off flat, which is how it came off to me. 

28 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

MJF needs to slowly turn into Michael Stuhlbarg's Arnold Rothstein on Boardwalk Empire or Michael Lerner's version of Rothstein in Eight Men Out. Just absolutely lean into it.

44 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Apparently CM Punk made 'gay love' 'man on man' to Shawn Michaels over 6 or 7 continents. 

EDIT
https://411mania.com/wrestling/cm-punk-jokes-about-making-gay-love-to-shawn-michaels-in-deleted-instagram-post/

SRS got the scoops about Punk memeing on the ‘gram with a decades old copypasta. Subscribe to his Patreon guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Are you really prepared for a reboot of Sin Cara with The Hurricane as his team-mate and masked Cody Rhodes as the heel?

Because that would be day 1.

Iuae5jd.jpg

Oh hell yeah, Fuego Dos is back

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm relieved that the roster's response to the drama is irony and absurdity - Dada didn't stop Hitler (I hope this comparison is also viewed as ironic and absurd).

But goofin' on the 'gram is preferable to punches.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

If anyone here personally knows Dave Meltzer, can someone please request he try to stop couching every statement with "whatever" when he's about to say something? Instead of saying whatever, he needs to try and articulate what he actually means because I can't understand half of what he's saying.

Observer Radio is borderline un-listenable at this point. It's beyond frustrating.