DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

I tried to get my wife to watch the Rocky movies with me. We watched Rocky 1 and that was it until Creed. We watched Creed 1 and 2. She has zero idea of any references to Rocky and she’s pretty in tune with pop culture, well about as much as a 40 year old can be in tune with pop culture now. And this is a woman who first bonded with me over talking about the Predator for well over an hour over a pitcher of beer on our first date.

All I’m saying is, there are people who get a lot of pop culture that have no idea about anything in the Rocky movies because they didn’t care about them.

EDIT: And since we’re talking about folks out kicking their coverage, I know I definitely did.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I tried to get my wife to watch the Rocky movies with me. We watched Rocky 1 and that was it until Creed. We watched Creed 1 and 2. She has zero idea of any references to Rocky and she’s pretty in tune with pop culture, well about as much as a 40 year old can be in tune with pop culture now. And this is a woman who first bonded with me over talking about the Predator for well over an hour over a pitcher of beer on our first date.

All I’m saying is, there are people who get a lot of pop culture that have no idea about anything in the Rocky movies because they didn’t care about them.

EDIT: And since we’re talking about folks out kicking their coverage, I know I definitely did.

We're going have to vehemently agree to disagree on that one. Now I will concede that Stallone himself hasn't been a major movie star in a couple decades now. Plus, now, with the flooding of content out there isn't a whole bunch of stuff that EVERYONE should know.

However, for example, if "Eye of the Tiger" doesn't play and you cannot instantly recognize at a certain age I dunno what to tell you. If you don't know it from Rocky, it's definitely one of those songs you can readily recognize but have no clue what the name of it is. "Going the Distance" has been sampled like 45 times in major pop hits.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We're going have to vehemently agree to disagree on that one. Now I will concede that Stallone himself hasn't been a major movie star in a couple decades now. Plus, now, with the flooding of content out there isn't a whole bunch of stuff that EVERYONE should know.

However, for example, if "Eye of the Tiger" doesn't play and you cannot instantly recognize at a certain age I dunno what to tell you. If you don't know it from Rocky, it's definitely one of those songs you can readily recognize but have no clue what the name of it is. "Going the Distance" has been sampled like 45 times in major pop hits.

For most of my childhood, "Eye of The Tiger" was Hulk Hogan's theme lol. 

• Like 3

Just now, Infinit said:

For most of my childhood, "Eye of The Tiger" was Hulk Hogan's theme lol. 

Man, I just watched the AWA match with Hogan and the future Killer Bees vs. Heenan, Ventura, and Patera last week. When that song hits, you would have thought the goddamn Beatles were in the building.

FWIW World Class used it for a Kerry music video.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

That’s the song from that Starbucks commercial like 20 years ago, right?

😏

DUDE I WAS GONNA POST THAT!

They played that shit RELENTLESSLY.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm pretty sure Punk said "Yo Adrian we did it" on TV once.

Punk strikes me as one of those guys (MJF as well) who would have used that cheap heat everytime he's in Philly of their most beloved sports figure being a fictional character. That and they built a well known statue of said character and not one for all time greats like Joe Frazier or Bernard Hopkins...who you know...are real people. Hell, Sonny Liston was from St. Louis via the deep south but he trained in Philadelphia. That would make more sense than Rocky Balboa. I would even take Bennie Briscoe, who is the most famous boxer to never win a world title.

Man, that's easy heat right there. It would right up there with The Rock in 2003 at the go home Raw for WM XIX in Sacramento saying his friend Shaq calls the Kings "the Sacramento Queens".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I think Kerry also used it in Japan at least once, IIRC. 

Chris Adams used it in World Class for awhile during his late 80s run there.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

That’s the song from that Starbucks commercial like 20 years ago, right?

😏

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

DUDE I WAS GONNA POST THAT!

They played that shit RELENTLESSLY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qeu7JRwt0

look, i know this was brought up in jest, but i LOVE the song in that commercial. i legitimately have it on my mp3 player and add it to almost every playlist i make. i like "Eye of the Tiger" enough as well, but "Glen!" is my jam.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Chris Adams used it in World Class for awhile during his late 80s run there.

I know we had a discussion somewhere recently about cool themes for someone who is uncool and Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) came up. From the territory stuff I have been watching over the last several months, there have been a slew of folks who would fit that bill that use various famous songs from that era including some of the famous Rocky soundtrack hits. The PYTs (Koko B. Ware/Stagger Lee/Sweet Brown Sugar or w/e name he was using then and Norvell Austin) coming out to Michael Jackson is hilarious so I will give a pass on that, but like Mark Ragin coming out to Michael Jackson? Fuck no.

Robert Fuller and his skinny, gangly pasty legs and the future Bunkhouse Buck strutting out to "All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose" in Continental is up there.

• Like 1

I think I mentioned this one before.

two pasty white guys working in 1983 for Dale Mann in Kentucky called “the boogie woogie men” using Electricity by Midnight Star

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm pretty sure Punk said "Yo Adrian we did it" on TV once.

You might be thinking of that house show fancam during Straight Edge Society where an old woman at ringside slapped him and said "you're not Jesus Christ"

IIRC his reaction to that was yelling "hey we did it!" to Gallows and Serena

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think I mentioned this one before.

two pasty white guys working in 1983 for Dale Mann in Kentucky called “the boogie woogie men” using Electricity by Midnight Star

That reminds me: I saw this not too long ago where Jimmy Hart has a "funeral" for the Bruise Brothers (the Porkchop Cash and Dream Machine/Troy Graham version) and "debuts" the New Fabulous Ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GsKFvsiDC0

Not to spoil the surprise, but tell me you don't get hype when the fucking Gap Band hits. This is amazing TV. Tony Khan, steal this. Please. Do this for the Gunns. I am begging you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dear lord, that is glorious. 

The aforementioned skinny, pasty legs, Robert Fuller, Jimmy Golden, Paul Stanley's half-rap, Kiss trying to be street, those flea market pinky ring title belts, Dr. Love, brawling outside to start, and Gordon Solie trying to keep some sense of class and respectability to the proceedings. 

Pro wrestling is the greatest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I texted to ask her what it’s from. Her response was, “Isn’t it from Rocky…?”

I don’t know what to make of it and didn’t respond back just to make her wonder why the fuck I asked her such a random question.

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That reminds me: I saw this not too long ago where Jimmy Hart has a "funeral" for the Bruise Brothers (the Porkchop Cash and Dream Machine/Troy Graham version) and "debuts" the New Fabulous Ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GsKFvsiDC0

Not to spoil the surprise, but tell me you don't get hype when the fucking Gap Band hits. This is amazing TV. Tony Khan, steal this. Please. Do this for the Gunns. I am begging you.

I recently made a list of all the Fabs music videos currently on YouTube (over a dozen) and some of the choices are not in the expected Billy Squirer/Joan Jett/ZZ Top oeuvre. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1