DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Hamilton and St. Catherines were always two close-ish places to here that I could see have seen myself moving to in the past. That's a bummer to see about the hate groups. It wouldn't matter anyway. When I looked at the housing market in each it was insane.

Yup not to drag this detour out too much further but on top of the political ugliness it's also become pretty much unaffordable. Although Sonny Kiss was here recently for Greek Town Wrestling and from what I gathered got a warm reception so maybe the wrasslin scene isn't as conservative as I thought (that being said, Madman Pondo makes semi regular appearances here at some indy to sign bloody dollar bills and hock some book he's promoting and always seems to bring out the worst of the meatheads). 

Anyone going to the house show this weekend?

• Mox/Claudio vs Bill/Moriarty
  • Britt vs Anna
  • Darby/OC vs Butcher/Blade

are all fun matches that you definitely don't get to see usually. Darby and OC have never tagged before. Mox and Bill are old NXT roommates. Britt will get to try out babyface stuff against Anna.

Plus the undercard will probably be full of some of the younger talents against each other.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Anyone going to the house show this weekend?

• Mox/Claudio vs Bill/Moriarty
  • Britt vs Anna
  • Darby/OC vs Butcher/Blade

are all fun matches that you definitely don't get to see usually. Darby and OC have never tagged before. Mox and Bill are old NXT roommates. Britt will get to try out babyface stuff against Anna.

Plus the undercard will probably be full of some of the younger talents against each other.

I'm really curious about how they plan to use the house shows going forward.  Is it going to be about putting on matches that don't make sense on TV?  Getting the youngsters more reps? Trying some things out in front of a crowd?  Practicing matches 'around the horn'? Some combination of the above?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

And if you question it, you're a bot!

And he's gone through your entire post history and knows what you thought about Joey Janela kidnapping Tully Blanchard in 2019.

One of us! One of us! 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
Forgot who kidnapped Tully, probably still wrong, you tell me! Or was it Marko Stunt who got kidnapped???

I’m going out on a limb.  But I think AEW is ripe to plow the fields of a big celebrity match.  A celebrity of a certain athletic ability pitted against somebody in the locker room who can elevate it, hold it together, and would also be primed to take a rung up the ladder even if they had to job.  I don’t know… maybe Wardlow.

So I’m pondering a list of potentials that might suit the bill to really SELL the show.  

I admit though at 48 years old my awareness of the cultural zeitgeist is probably suspect.  I’d have never considered a Logan Paul just because he isn’t in my GenXer orbit.  You’ll see what I mean.

First and foremost has to be Tom Brady.  He really is the great white hope.  His credentials speak for themselves and is a household name.  Plus I think he has a price as a guy who hasn’t been scared of money.  You DO run the risk of him going the way of Mayweather where the crowd sours as he makes baby face at the camera.  After all, not everywhere is New England.  Even my being pretty anti-football still allows me to recognize the gigantic marquee value having Brady’s name there.

Antonio Brown - I know absolutely nothing of his athletic career other than he has bounced (or been bounced) from multiple NFL teams.  I’m told he is a mix of Dennis Rodman and Brian Pillman in his wacky ability to color outside the lines.  Honestly, I’m reading this more like a Charlie Sheen meltdown.  Which doesn’t sell it any less to me in all its instability.  I heard he was banging Brady’s wife too.  Make it a tag match.  

Joe Rogan - An older guy for sure.  But Jarrett could carry him to some classic Memphis horseshit.  Make the figure 4 Joes finisher.  Pay him an extra 10 bucks if he makes it look good.

Shaq? - Maybe?  We got that cliff hanger from before with the ambulance etc.  Not sure what exactly to do with that absent Cody.  

LeBron - Again, famous name at that high water mark in athletics that should sell a stadium.  Name brand.  

I have to be missing someone or many ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Given the way Tony does stuff, we'll get a celeb match next Rampage, but it'll be someone half the audience never heard of.

When Bad Bunny showed up in WWE, half the audience was doing the "I've never heard of this person".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Bad Bunny showed up in WWE, half the audience was doing the "I've never heard of this person".

Yeah, but he didn't work a full match with Owens the first RAW he walked in the door.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Given the way Tony does stuff, we'll get a celeb match next Rampage, but it'll be someone half the audience never heard of.

Tim Robinson is pretty big on the internet, so it would be a huge get to get the guy from the hot dog suit meme into a "I Think You Should Leave" escape-only Cage Match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does anybody know if presale codes for Forbidden Door II tickets are Out There yet? I haven't had any luck with what appear to be the official channels, and according to Ticketmaster the presale starts Monday at 10:00 AM.

Results from tonight's first AEW House Rules house show in Troy, Ohio:

Spoiler

*Ethan Page def. Captain Shawn Dean. After the match, Ethan gets the mic and says he wants another challenge...

*Hook def. Ethan Page via Redrum submission.

*Jeff Jarrett def. Brian Pillman Jr. with the Stroke after using a low blow behind the ref's back.

*Ruby Soho def. Hollyhood Haley. After the match, Ruby went for the spraypaint but Skye Blue made the save. Skye challenged Ruby but Ruby backed out and said she'd leave Skye for Toni Storm on Dynamite.

*Tony Khan came to the ring to speak to the crowd and thank everyone for coming.

*Orange Cassidy & Darby Allin def. The Butcher & The Blade when Orange pinned Blade with the Mouse Trap. After the match, Darby hit the Coffin Drop on Butcher.

*QT Marshall (w/ Powerhouse Hobbs) def. Pat Buck with the Diamond Cutter after Hobbs ran Pat in to the ring post outside.

*Dr. Britt Baker DMD def. Anna Jay A S via Lockjaw submission.

*Powerhouse Hobbs(c) def. Christopher Daniels after the Spinebuster to retain the TNT Championship

*Blackpool Combat Club (Jon Moxley & Claudio Castagnoli) def. The Firm (Big Bill & Lee Moriarty) when Moxley pinned Moriarty after the Paradigm Shift.

a main event pic Tony posted:

Spoiler

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Does anybody know if presale codes for Forbidden Door II tickets are Out There yet? I haven't had any luck with what appear to be the official channels, and according to Ticketmaster the presale starts Monday at 10:00 AM.

Wrestletix always posts presale codes for different shows. There should be something up by Sunday. I’ll post it here when I see it. 

• Thanks 1