DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

Serious question, if you were going to Moneyball this shit and bring in some consultants from here, past or present, to come up with storylines and then work with people with production experience to format it all, who would you pick? And no need for naysaying anyone's picks. No one needs their feelings hurt and no one needs to be shit on.

I already mentioned Schneider, just because he has such a wealth of knowledge about storylines and wrestling history, but Matt D would be another pick, again for his wealth of knowledge for wrestling history and logic...just keep him away from booking Hangman. Gregg has a lot of good ideas as well and would be someone I would recommend. Gregg does a good job of thinking as someone in the audience or someone at home and what they would want to see or what may turn them off and a lot of his solutions are pretty simple to implement. 

I think there are more than a few others I'd go with and I hesitate to also nominate myself, but I do think it would be really fun to give it a shot. I just think we all have a mind for what works and what doesn't. It would be interesting to see what would happen. 

And come on Mookie, you work for TK, give him some names from here.

I don't think there's an issue with finding potential bookers with good ideas. The problem is finding someone who can think on their feet and pivot when someone goes down with injury. Or where politics create some sort of pitfall. There are so many intangibles that go into what is presented on TV every week. Not things all that well considered all that often by our resident DVDVR fantasy bookers. A good booker also vitally needs ppl that can properly produce the presentation. Where AEW lacks isn't the booking, it's the presentation. Not specifically the production, but rather the direction and flow of the show. They constantly speed thru all the stop signs. Something significant happens and the announcers are quickly sending it to a Draft Kings ad or something else and then something else, and then the significant issue is forgotten. It's a lack of 'selling'. They don't properly 'sell' any of their angles or segments. It's something they're failing to learn from their competition. The weekly 'Road Tos' are often really great, and it feels like a mistake not running those packages, and more like them, on TV regularly. That's how you sell the goddamn story. I suspect there's a line of thinking within AEW creative, Tony in particular, that they want to try and get as many ppl on the shows each week as possible, but that attempted goodwill is coming at an unnecessary price.

But to the original question, clearly @Dean's the man for the job. Let Schneider Patterson @Dean's ideas. Oh, and let Dax Harwood in on the booking team. Phil, Dean, and Dax.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Re: presentation issues and things not having time to breathe, I can't remember which episode of the podcast it was but Jarrett got to talking, as he does quite a bit, about the issues with booking one hour Impact with too big of a roster and mentioned how plugging in too many people with short packages or backstage bits can water down a product. Wonder if he's had a chance to get granular on that with his current employer.

• Like 3

I’ve felt a couple of feuds lacked pay off Matt Hardy v Hangman could have done more with Matt being broke and Hangman buying top shelf bottles of bourbon ect also should have done more with Charles The Butler shoot vinettes of him wading Miros cars or ring him and CJ breakfast in bed

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Jade/Nyla feud for starters.

The only interesting thing Jade has done in months and an angle that made the belt and the matches actually fresh? More of that please.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Embedding never works for me but "QTV" (QT's new thing with Hobbs) just debuted their logo on the AEW IG and this angle is so lame even the logo looks for all the world like a misprint ("OTV").

When you’re recycling old Dustin Rhodes gimmicks that Vince Russo booked you’re officially in trouble (GTV). But hey QT claims he’s not just a Rhodes family hanger on. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, LF2 said:

When you’re recycling old Dustin Rhodes gimmicks that Vince Russo booked you’re officially in trouble (GTV). But hey QT claims he’s not just a Rhodes family hanger on. 

If they bring back Black Reign or Se7en, they're in trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Serious question, if you were going to Moneyball this shit and bring in some consultants from here, past or present, to come up with storylines and then work with people with production experience to format it all, who would you pick? And no need for naysaying anyone's picks. No one needs their feelings hurt and no one needs to be shit on.

I already mentioned Schneider, just because he has such a wealth of knowledge about storylines and wrestling history, but Matt D would be another pick, again for his wealth of knowledge for wrestling history and logic...just keep him away from booking Hangman. Gregg has a lot of good ideas as well and would be someone I would recommend. Gregg does a good job of thinking as someone in the audience or someone at home and what they would want to see or what may turn them off and a lot of his solutions are pretty simple to implement. 

I think there are more than a few others I'd go with and I hesitate to also nominate myself, but I do think it would be really fun to give it a shot. I just think we all have a mind for what works and what doesn't. It would be interesting to see what would happen. 

And come on Mookie, you work for TK, give him some names from here.

@Curt McGirt as the agent for Mox’s matches. A bloody match made in heaven. They’ll just sit down every day and dig through the blood soaked thread in the main wrestling forum.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Looking at the replies to that tweet and the fact that almost all of the tweets talking about what a legend/GOAT etc MJF is come from accounts that have paid for Twitter blue........this confirms all my preconceptions about the men who go to AEW shows with Burberry scarves and cheer MJF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

He’s just into posting pics of women he lusts after (even after the Mods said we all need to stop posting random pics at the end of 2022). He does it in the merch thread too.

I wonder if he's into lucha; there's an AAA guy I think he might really like - but I should probably settle down with the speculation.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JLowe said:

The only interesting thing Jade has done in months and an angle that made the belt and the matches actually fresh? More of that please.

Plus that feud was something for Jade to do after Hosslander got hurt

4 hours ago, Leonidas said:

What about her?

shes nice looking 

• Like 1

All I'll say about the Bellas leaving WWE and being backstage at the last AEW PPV - regardless of how much they could potentially stink up the AEW women's division, I'm sure Warner Bros. Discovery would love to have them for a reality show.

Even non-fans in my family know who the Bellas and Danielson are because of Total Divas.

• Like 4