DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

First preview for All Access (don't know if this is news, but the premiere date is March 29).

https://twitter.com/AEWonTV/status/1631792820339056644

Man, I wish this would have started filming earlier so we could have got Brawl Out's backstage drama on camera. You could have made a Wrestling With Shadows documentary out of that footage.

This just looks kind of boring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Man, I wish this would have started filming earlier so we could have got Brawl Out's backstage drama on camera. You could have made a Wrestling With Shadows documentary out of that footage.

I dunno if Wrestling with Shadows would be my go to considering they LEFT a lot on the table (the Hartford fight, the actual WCW negotiations and Bret's decision the summer of 1996, the 9/22/97 Raw which turned out to be probably the most historic Raw before and during the cameras rolling, etc.) and then call this boring based on a small snippet. 

Wrestling with Shadows was basically two hour vlog that was more interesting based on what WASN'T shown. If you take out groggy Vince and Julie Hart cutting a promo and a half on Hunter, it's not all that interesting especially if you're not more than a casual fan.

I would say Ruby dressing down Tay and possibly more on "Everybody fucking hates Thunder Rosa" has me curious.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And on the topic of leaving things on the cutting room floor, I can't imagine Mr "I can't comment on that" putting that stuff on TV even if they had it. 

In Rhodes to the Top the fun thing was seeing who was blurred out backstage since they didn't want to sign releases and help Cody (Young Bucks and Kenny), so this time around it'll be interesting to see if anyone refuses to sign off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And on the topic of leaving things on the cutting room floor, I can't imagine Mr "I can't comment on that" putting that stuff on TV even if they had it. 

Based on the thread we had for it here, there is NOTHING they can show on All Access that would live up to what everyone fantasy booked or already imagined. The speculation would be more interesting than what actually happened especially if everything falls in the middle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Presumably this was being filmed while Thunder Rosa was women’s champion based on the Britt Baker comment in the preview, so… 

• Like 1

I am assuming they're going to cover everything including the Punk stuff (Ruby's broken nose happened on Zero Hour of the same show) so it's not like they're going to Thanos snap everything that happened in and around September. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Presumably this was being filmed while Thunder Rosa was women’s champion based on the Britt Baker comment in the preview, so… 

I know the Bucks and Kenny were back a few weeks early from their suspension to film for the reality show, so I guess it's possible they were filming at/around All Out then had to abandon everything in favor of a new "storyline". Maybe that's what the Best of 7 series was created for.

Sammy's comments about Eddie sounds more like he's talking about the past though, and they didn't make up until late August. So we're either getting footage of them making amends backstage, or more likely footage of them planning their Grand Slam match a couple weeks after All Out

21 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Without context, that could just as easily be Britt venting frustration about the "interim champion" business rather than Rosa herself. 

True, but she does say “her being champion is holding up storylines”. Which is either while Rosa was still champion, or before Hayter was declared the real linear champion post-Full Gear. Either way it’s within the timeframe of the Punk stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Casey said:

True, but she does say “her being champion is holding up storylines”. Which is either while Rosa was still champion, or before Hayter was declared the real linear champion post-Full Gear. Either way it’s within the timeframe of the Punk stuff.

I don't see how this ends with Rosa avoiding catching a stray or two. Once Toni was making veiled comments at the one scrum, I think it became apparent some of the women are tired of Rosa's shit.

That said, I don't expect this show to make everyone who is suppose to be this shitheel look bad. I mean for example, I see Tay and Sammy making the rounds to promote the show. They wouldn't do that unless they come off as huge babyfaces. I mean if Ruby is dressing down Tay in the video clip, I don't expect her to be like, "whatever, bitch" in the followup footage we didn't see. 

12 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Two people wearing body mics on a reality show means whatever they say to each other has been planned in advance

Then why the fuck are you asking for the CM Punk stuff to be on the show, dummy?

Dude, I just said this is going to be a image rehab for some, but you are somehow dense enough to say, "well, they might try to work some stuff into the show". Well, no shit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Then why the fuck are you asking for the CM Punk stuff to be on the show, dummy?

Dude, I just said this is going to be a image rehab for some, but you are somehow dense enough to say, "well, they might try to work some stuff into the show". Well, no shit.

Ruby and Tay are being advertised as principal stars of the show, and their segment you keep referencing was filmed away from the roster with multiple cameras

In a hypothetical scenario where there were All Access cameras filming at All Out, they probably had a crew in the vicinity of the press scrum and in the hallways in case something interesting happened - especially since this particular show seems to be more "everyone's a star!" instead of focusing on Cody and Brandi specifically and only following them around

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Ruby and Tay are being advertised as principal stars of the show, and their segment you keep referencing was filmed away from the roster with multiple cameras

In a hypothetical scenario where there were All Access cameras filming at All Out, they probably had a crew in the vicinity of the press scrum and in the hallways in case something interesting happened - especially since this particular show seems to be more "everyone's a star!" instead of focusing on Cody and Brandi specifically and only following them around

9 out of 10 times that usually ends up something completely unwatchable or uninteresting. As someone who has followed a bunch of brawls or near brawls before and after UFC and MMA events in general, this is usually is the case. Now add in the variable that it's pro wrestling and every other jackass is saying everything that happens is worked anyway, I don't see why this would be any different. 

And my larger point isn't that we won't see people over exaggerate something. When you're rehabbing your image, the last thing you won't do is the tone deaf semi working Nia Jax don't get the in the ring cause I might injure you. My point is that clearly Tay ( and as a couple Sammy as well) are using this so they don't come off as bad guys. Shit, a lot of stuff on The Ultimate Fighter was worked or edited cleverly. Thing is...that one season with Rousey and Miesha Tate coaching turned the worm on how a lot of people felt about Ronda and it basically partly drove her into pro wrestling because she came off so bad on the show. That was TEN years ago. The UFC didn't plan on that to happen.

So if this is work, Tay is going to WORK it the other way. That's my point.

Was just at a sports bar watching some NBA. Every ad break featured an ad for AEW Rampage now on ESPN. Like it was the only ad. It became a running joke amongst everyone there. 

Ad featured Darby, Sami, Moxley, and The Acclaimed. No-one particularly recognizable to non-viewers and casual fans. Strange you wouldn't add Jericho or Sting or even JR in there. 

If it achieved anything, its that it reminded me to cancel my Fite subscription.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Ad featured Darby, Sami, Moxley, and The Acclaimed. No-one particularly recognizable to non-viewers and casual fans. Strange you wouldn't add Jericho or Sting or even JR in there.

I think Sting's being kept off TV until he starts the retirement program he alluded to in his D Magazine interview

• Like 2

Saraya/Toni Storm/Jamie Hayter/Britt Baker/Ruby Soho vs Giulia/Natsupio/AZM/Saya Kamitani/Starlight Kid!  DREAM A DREAM, DADDY!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I just got off the phone with Tony Khan and he says he needs YOUR help: he wants to build towards an all female Blood and Guts. Team Saraya vs Team DMD. Who do you have on each team? 

Following the rules of the angle:

Being someone who didn't watch wrestling for quite a long time, isn't Athena the only woman wrestler on the AEW/ROH roster who would be "well-known" as a former WWE wrestler? So unless this all leads to Mone showing up (as a heel) you're going to have to sign someone like a Micki James or act like a Marina Shafir or Tay Conti was a WWE superstar.

For the originals? Jade is the obvious AEW original. Then someone like Bunny or Anna Jay who has done some street fights and can also eat a pin.

I'm going to presume that Rosa is a no-go.