DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Dax's latest episode has some interesting and fairly valid criticism regarding the booking and presentation of the Pinnacle. Worth a listen rather than just digesting it through clickbait headlines and dramatic quotes people are tweeting out. 

Other things worth noting:

• Didn't care for the head flushing angle that effectively resolved the issue for the babyfaces
  • Not enough TV time for anyone but MJF
  • Pre-Pinnacle, were pitching a Cody/FTR group that would have included Arn and Brock Anderson, but Cody didn't want to do heel stuff
  • Women were pitched for the group, the names being tossed around were Britt Baker and Serena Deeb
  • Tried to pitch MJF's usage in the group differently, citing thinking relayed to them by Randy Orton about what Triple H's philosophy was in Evolution

I didn't necessarily love anything Tully did in AEW, but Dax's feeling about how he was deployed are really interesting.

I think Dax speaks to a lot of issues I have with MJF. Again, I like MJF, but I don't think he's a special attraction. To this day it makes no sense to me why he rarely wrestles. Raziel spoke to it elsewhere, but they've run the exact same angle with MJF three times now. Everything about MJF is designed to have him wrestle as little as possible and he's just not that big of a star to warrant that and they've been doing that for what feels like forever now. And when you take someone like that and make him the only person that talks, but does nothing while their stable is reduced to just standing around behind them then it's not going to work. It's just not good pro wrestling.

• Like 5

Funk at that bar and then doing a shot with him would have been a great moment. 

It sounds like everyone in the Pinnacle excluding Max felt the same way. Shawn Spears tweeting that it was “DOA”. It was very much a group of MJF’s side pieces more than a faction of equals. 

I enjoyed his thoughts on the layout of the feud with Inner Circle. The faces getting instant retribution hurt the heels credibility. Personally, I think you can have the rivalry go back and forth, but you do need the villains to violently get the advantage more and maybe space things out better. One thing I felt at the time was I wasn’t into how quickly after Blood and Guts we had the Inner Circle Bubbly Truck bit. Dax sighted it as Jericho needing his Sport Entertainment moment. Retroactive fantasy booking: Sammy feels guilty about surrendering and the rest of the group (excluding an injured and absent Jericho) tells him they love him and he did what he felt was right out of love and they’re buds. Jericho returns and tells Sammy he is proud of him and they’ll get revenge. Bam, that’s an extra two weeks of selling the previous big match and the heels can maintain heat by being mean. Then you get Bubbly. So many great heel moments were quickly negated or equalized to keep the faces strong. I will say, I did love the locker room beat down when I watched it on tv. Could have spaced it better. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I really relate to Dax. As a creative person, when I put my heart into a group project that I’m excited for but don’t agree with the direction of, it is easy to be bitter about it.

It feels like the main wrestling creative contributors to the feud was Jericho and MJF. Which for better or worse does make sense for we’re they were envisioned on the card. It was a continuation of MJF vs Jericho that has been brewing since MJF joined the Inner Circle. 

• Like 3

So what you're saying is, the Jericho vs MJF feud was the best use of both men, because it freed up the whole entire rest of the roster to not be stuck in an interminable feud with either MJF or Jericho?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, AxB said:

So what you're saying is, the Jericho vs MJF feud was the best use of both men, because it freed up the whole entire rest of the roster to not be stuck in an interminable feud with either MJF or Jericho?

Apart from the really long Inner Circle vs The Pinnacle proxy feud, right? That still leaves 75-80% of the roster unaffected, or thereabouts.

Got my Austin tickets, not bad seats on the side of the ring opposite the entrance area, not on the floor but in the fifth row of the lower level. $50 plus 40% in fees...

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think Dax speaks to a lot of issues I have with MJF. Again, I like MJF, but I don't think he's a special attraction. To this day it makes no sense to me why he rarely wrestles. Raziel spoke to it elsewhere, but they've run the exact same angle with MJF three times now. Everything about MJF is designed to have him wrestle as little as possible and he's just not that big of a star to warrant that and they've been doing that for what feels like forever now. And when you take someone like that and make him the only person that talks, but does nothing while their stable is reduced to just standing around behind them then it's not going to work. It's just not good pro wrestling.

It wouldn’t bother me if MJF jumped ship, he was interesting that time he came back as a tweener for a while but it’s the same ole shtick for years now. For me, Dragon should win the belt Sunday. 

On 3/1/2023 at 5:20 PM, Octopus said:

Funk at that bar and then doing a shot with him would have been a great moment. 

It sounds like everyone in the Pinnacle excluding Max felt the same way. Shawn Spears tweeting that it was “DOA”. It was very much a group of MJF’s side pieces more than a faction of equals. 

I enjoyed his thoughts on the layout of the feud with Inner Circle. The faces getting instant retribution hurt the heels credibility. Personally, I think you can have the rivalry go back and forth, but you do need the villains to violently get the advantage more and maybe space things out better. One thing I felt at the time was I wasn’t into how quickly after Blood and Guts we had the Inner Circle Bubbly Truck bit. Dax sighted it as Jericho needing his Sport Entertainment moment. Retroactive fantasy booking: Sammy feels guilty about surrendering and the rest of the group (excluding an injured and absent Jericho) tells him they love him and he did what he felt was right out of love and they’re buds. Jericho returns and tells Sammy he is proud of him and they’ll get revenge. Bam, that’s an extra two weeks of selling the previous big match and the heels can maintain heat by being mean. Then you get Bubbly. So many great heel moments were quickly negated or equalized to keep the faces strong. I will say, I did love the locker room beat down when I watched it on tv. Could have spaced it better. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Terry Funk getting revenge on that horse, Also Jericho should have been off TV selling the B&G bump for a few weeks

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

@The Natural watching John Moxley vs Mr. Brodie Lee for the AEW title right now, from that Double or Nothing PPV I got for my train ride last fall. This is gorgeous!

Glad you're enjoying it with me talking the show up, particularly that match. Cheers!

17 hours ago, Dog said:

Dragon will never be champion unless it's as a favor to Tony. He doesn't want it. 

Bryan Danielson is one of the most selfless wrestlers ever. Really is. I jokingly said threaten Daisy if that gets Dragon to hold the AEW World Championship the once. MJF is going to retain and that makes me sad. I hope my boy Bryan Danielson is better used this year compared to how he was last year.

See how we're having 6 days of Tony Khan wrestling this week? What do you reckon the chances are they add an extra Saturday Elevation, so it can be the full 7 days?

• Like 2