DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

5 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

The Mr McMahon character really was phenomenal like it or not IMO 

Especially the first few months to a year of it before it really went into caricature. The early stuff where he was getting more and more frustrated with Austin were gold.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Log said:

Especially the first few months to a year of it before it really went into caricature. The early stuff where he was getting more and more frustrated with Austin were gold.

Even the caricature stuff was gold, because you could really follow Vince's descent into madness as he was repeatedly humiliated by Austin (and occasionally Taker). Re-watching the Attitude era a few years back, I was blown away by the fact that Austin had the upper hand on him 80% of the time. The character of course wore out its welcome by 2000, but the arc from Montreal into the corporate ministry days was great stuff.

• Like 4

The way Meltzer and Alvarez explained the betting thing is that WWE would lock in their finishes "months" in advance and theoretically wouldn't tell the talent who's going over until the betting lines close

I remember a while back when the UK betting was all the rage backstage and the lines would have wild shifts the day of the show when the finishes were finalized, so they started swerving their employees or some shit.  Didn't they confiscate phones/laptops at one point?

I can't put into words how stupid this all is.  What's next?

1 hour ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

The way Meltzer and Alvarez explained the betting thing is that WWE would lock in their finishes "months" in advance and theoretically wouldn't tell the talent who's going over until the betting lines close

I remember a while back when the UK betting was all the rage backstage and the lines would have wild shifts the day of the show when the finishes were finalized, so they started swerving their employees or some shit.  Didn't they confiscate phones/laptops at one point?

I can't put into words how stupid this all is.  What's next?

This is begging for a UFC/James Krause scenario where some talent/personnel who has a gambling gig on the side tries to do some insider stuff. 

Moreover, if you're selling a company, how in the hell do you know if the new owners want to be even involved in this? Add in the fact, injuries and other possible issues would likely prevent coming up with finishes well in advance. They put "card subject to change" down there for a reason.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is begging for a UFC/James Krause scenario where some talent/personnel who has a gambling gig on the side tries to do some insider stuff. 

Moreover, if you're selling a company, how in the hell do you know if the new owners want to be even involved in this? Add in the fact, injuries and other possible issues would likely prevent coming up with finishes well in advance. They put "card subject to change" down there for a reason.

There's no way any gaming commission worth it's salt could look at WWE and take this seriously, but then again as someone said earlier we are witnessing "end stage capitalism" for whatever that's worth.  I guess it means everything is fair game, including gambling on pre-determined sports entertainment.  Wake me up when opium dens are legal again 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I'm not savvy with gambling and stuff because I thought DraftKings was basically that. Or maybe it's not technically considering gambling since it's free to play or some shit?

• Like 1

Stardom flowchart

Here is an awesome flowchart someone on Reddit made showing all the wrestlers in stardom and what all the different factions are and how they relate to each other. Very cool little card that can help people who want to get into stardom but only know some of the top names that get mentioned. 

• Like 2

Yeah, we've had it here in Australia a while too. I cleaned up on the Rumble one year as they offered a market on guys to finish in the final 4, and the market was full of guys who were either never going to be in it (Rock, Austin) or were in other matches announced on the card, and as a result the odds went out on the real guys likely to finish top 4.

Don't think it's any different to offering odds on The Oscars or reality TV show eliminations. Which also was something I shamefully bet on. (My wife worked with a finalist on the Bachelor, who was heavily assumed to be the winner, and kinda knew it wasn't her that won given she spent her lunch breaks on Tinder). 

These are not stories I look forward to telling my kids.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Stardom flowchart

Here is an awesome flowchart someone on Reddit made showing all the wrestlers in stardom and what all the different factions are and how they relate to each other. Very cool little card that can help people who want to get into stardom but only know some of the top names that get mentioned. 

The chart needs a little work, but it is nice. 

• Like 1

Since most gamblers are idiots, I'm sure wrestling bookies could come out ahead playing it straight with +/- and O/U bets while keeping the limits low, but I'd still expect promoters to do last minute changes on bets with lopsided action from time to time just because.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Yeah, we've had it here in Australia a while too. I cleaned up on the Rumble one year as they offered a market on guys to finish in the final 4, and the market was full of guys who were either never going to be in it (Rock, Austin) or were in other matches announced on the card, and as a result the odds went out on the real guys likely to finish top 4.

Don't think it's any different to offering odds on The Oscars or reality TV show eliminations. Which also was something I shamefully bet on. (My wife worked with a finalist on the Bachelor, who was heavily assumed to be the winner, and kinda knew it wasn't her that won given she spent her lunch breaks on Tinder). 

YARN | Well, this kid's father, he's a fucking degenerate gambler. | The  Sopranos (1999) - S02E08 Drama | Video clips by quotes | 8e4af17f | 紗

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who does this, but I often picture you all as your avatars.

Now I've got J. Peterman in my head saying, "Elaine! I need you to put $1000 on a Roman Reigns to win at Wrestlemania. Can you do that for me?"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Filed under "Fucking DUH", WON is reporting that the WWE is interested in signing The Elite.  

AEW has not signed them to long terms deal but is confident in their ability to lock them down.  

So, Omega vs. Rollins in a 2 hour IronMan for Night 1 of Mania 40, confirmed?   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Filed under "Fucking DUH", WON is reporting that the WWE is interested in signing The Elite.  

AEW has not signed them to long terms deal but is confident in their ability to lock them down.  

So, Omega vs. Rollins in a 2 hour IronMan for Night 1 of Mania 40, confirmed?   

Worlds worst spider man meme

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Log said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who does this, but I often picture you all as your avatars.

Makes changing to this one all the more worth it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3