DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Guy who's been a good promo with great presence for a long time getting over with some people when given a chance isn't all that surprising. His act has always had some easy call and response to it, which I guess is why I've seen a couple people saying Discount Rock or whatever. Cashing in with a decent JTTS veteran run off of this isn't the worst thing in the world. I only saw a couple clips of the Maximum Male Models stuff, but it sounds like that was looking like a fast train back to Impact or the NWA. So good for him on turning his fortunes around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

We were discussing LA Knight in the Discord last night and came to the conclusion he is about Elias level. This would be just below Corbin level, where you can slot him in to win and lose at will in pretty much any program. 

Lol, this is faint praise considering Corbin’s latest repackaging failed to get over even with JBL to talk for him, and Triple H seems to keep Elias on tv mostly to function as a piñata.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Y'all are finally gonna regret encouraging this outsiders vs originals foolishness when it's Nikki and Brie in the War Games match. 

Not sure what the deal is with Nikki's neck (and Brie probably shouldn't be near the ring) but I've kinda always thought they'd be good signings based purely on the fact that they have such a following from Total Divas; it sounds insane, but it honestly might not be such a terrible idea to hook a few more 18-49 year old female sets of eyeballs. Step 1 come for the Bellas, step 2 'Hey, is that Paige too?', step 3 'Hey that Jungle Boy/Hook/Wardlow guy is kinda cute' step 4 'Wow, these girls might be even tougher than the Bellas!' step 5 = TK take the money

• Like 3

LA Knight’s career peak was when he said “These shoes are Champion’s shoes! This jacket? Champion’s shoes!”.

• Haha 1

The context for the LA Knight comment is that he apparently got a babyface pop at the MSG House show (he was in the battle royal for the IC shot)

Dave said normally the WWE brushes off these "bizarro world" responses but not when they happen at MSG (while Dave didn't directly say this - it was strongly implied that the WWE still follows the model of that the New York fans are the most sophisticated ones)

So anyway - basically it was Dave being all "don't be surprised if Knight is turned"

• Like 1

I have a feeling this is posted somewhere, heck maybe in this thread, but anyway the Bellas are officially done with WWE and are now going by Nikki & Brie Garcia (the Garcia Twins)

They have changed their names on social media and have rebranded their podcast

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

The context for the LA Knight comment is that he apparently got a babyface pop at the MSG House show (he was in the battle royal for the IC shot)

Dave said normally the WWE brushes off these "bizarro world" responses but not when they happen at MSG (while Dave didn't directly say this - it was strongly implied that the WWE still follows the model of that the New York fans are the most sophisticated ones)

So anyway - basically it was Dave being all "don't be surprised if Knight is turned"

And as I mentioned in the Mania thread, he *may* be given a segment with a certain popular rattlesnake from Texas.  

56 minutes ago, Red King said:

Make them first AEW women tags champion's. They still have plans for those belts.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/saraya-adding-women-s-tag-titles-would-be-perfect-way-celebrate-international-women-s-day

How does any of that say Khan has belts made or plans for such a thing? Clearly Discovery is content with one women’s match per show, and until that changes adding a third belt is a horrible idea. 

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Lol, this is faint praise considering Corbin’s latest repackaging failed to get over even with JBL to talk for him, and Triple H seems to keep Elias on tv mostly to function as a piñata.

I think it’s worth remembering that there was a time in 2018-2019 when Elias was so hot that they had to turn him face (to disastrous results). I can definitely see the LA Knight comparison there.

I always think WWE's trouble with turning heels face is odd. There have been many, many times that a heel started geting some fan support and they botched the face run. Sid, Diesel, "Sufferin' Succotash" Roman, etc. They got it VERY right twice with Austin and Rock: just have them keep doing what they're doing, but now do it to heels instead of faces. Instead, they insist on neutering everyone they turn face by making them all smiley and nice. It's weird.

• Like 6

I feel the same way about LA Knight that I do about Greta Van Fleet; yeah, the act is a complete rip-off of a legend, but it's a pretty good rip-off, and if you're gonna rip somebody off, why not The Rock/Led Zeppelin?

Edited by The Comedian
typographical error
  • Haha 2

I always liked the way LA Knight/Eli moved in the ring. It just has a unique look to it. And yeah, he can tend to sound a little too much like the Rock, but as LA Knight, he also tends to remind me of the wrestling version of Russ Hanneman:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think it’s worth remembering that there was a time in 2018-2019 when Elias was so hot that they had to turn him face (to disastrous results). I can definitely see the LA Knight comparison there.

Also, seeing Elias in his current state as a character just bums me out because I'm a mark for that gimmick. I'm especially a mark for the heel aspects of that gimmick, and the dude is competent enough as a worker. Some of those matches as Ezekiel were really fun. 

• Like 1

I’d be afraid to sing karaoke with Minoru Suzuki.  Either I’d botch the lyrics or my terrible singing voice would annoy him.  Either way, the evening being probably ends with him choking me the f*** out,

59 minutes ago, Log said:

I always think WWE's trouble with turning heels face is odd. There have been many, many times that a heel started geting some fan support and they botched the face run. Sid, Diesel, "Sufferin' Succotash" Roman, etc. They got it VERY right twice with Austin and Rock: just have them keep doing what they're doing, but now do it to heels instead of faces. Instead, they insist on neutering everyone they turn face by making them all smiley and nice. It's weird.

Babyface Dolph Ziggler says hi.  He was hot during his first heel run and they probably has something with him, AJ Lee, and  young Big E as his scary black sidekick.  So of course the company turned him face and told him to go out and be happy and smile a lot.  They stripped out the heel bits of the character’s personality and didn’t give him anything to replace those bits with, so he was boring af as a babyface and he eventually stopped being over.  He was interesting as a heel.  He was generic blond babyface #43 after the turn.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

14 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’d be afraid to sing karaoke with Minoru Suzuki.  Either I’d botch the lyrics or my terrible singing voice would annoy him.  Either way, the evening being probably ends with him choking me the f*** out,

I'm hoping Suzuki san knows his Duran Duran because Rio is one of my karaoke go-to's lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1