DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Also, seeing Elias in his current state as a character just bums me out because I'm a mark for that gimmick. I'm especially a mark for the heel aspects of that gimmick, and the dude is competent enough as a worker. Some of those matches as Ezekiel were really fun. 

After THAT promo in Seattle I thought Elias was going to be an upper mid card guy for life. From memory he used to hit a pretty sweet flying elbow in NXT and the 'Drifter' gimmick had a both comedy and danger built in. Should have been a slam dunk but then, how many times have we said that over the years?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’d be afraid to sing karaoke with Minoru Suzuki.  Either I’d botch the lyrics or my terrible singing voice would annoy him.  Either way, the evening being probably ends with him choking me the f*** out,

If you can learn one of the One Piece openings I'm sure you will be fine.

6 hours ago, Red King said:

LA Knight expected to receive bigger push post Wrestlemania. Dave Meltzer explained why.

I hope he does get a serious push. He seems to get a bigger reaction from the crowd than you’d expect.

• Like 1

Watched Bash at the Beach '96 again while we're here wondering whether it's gonna snow or not.  It's really amazing how the closing segment all came together with the crowd organically becoming more and more pissed where now everyone is throwing trash..   There's no way WCW could have thought that it would have worked out THAT well with the crowd participation.  

What are some other moments you can remember where the crowd takes a cool moment and elevates it to legendary status? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Watched Bash at the Beach '96 again while we're here wondering whether it's gonna snow or not.  It's really amazing how the closing segment all came together with the crowd organically becoming more and more pissed where now everyone is throwing trash..   There's no way WCW could have thought that it would have worked out THAT well with the crowd participation.  

What are some other moments you can remember where the crowd takes a cool moment and elevates it to legendary status? 

Off the top of my head -

The pop for Austin helping Foley.

WHAT? - Not a moment but it's become all time vernacular.

The entire YES Movement, but specifically Bryan turning on Wyatt in the cage.

Wyatts v SHIELD faceoff.

The opening bell standoff between Danielson and Omega.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

LA Knight is Ken Anderson with better in ring, and the latter got some nice run including a Taker feud / main event and MITB. So I think Knight has some upside yet. 

One of the most brutal chairshots ever:

01:00.

Undertaker threw nasty chairshots.

43 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Off the top of my head -

The pop for Austin helping Foley.

WHAT? - Not a moment but it's become all time vernacular.

The entire YES Movement, but specifically Bryan turning on Wyatt in the cage.

Wyatts v SHIELD faceoff.

The opening bell standoff between Danielson and Omega.

Second all those particularly Mick Foley winning the WWF Championship and the Yes Movement.

To add:

Sami Zayn turns on Roman Reigns and is attacked by the Bloodline at the 2022 Royal Rumble. The pop with the chair shot, "Thank you, Jey" as he left the Bloodline and "Fuck you, Roman" chants.

The shocked reaction to The Streak ending, Undertaker's unbeaten WrestleMania record to Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XXX.

Roman Reigns on RAW the night after WrestleMania XXXIII after beating The Undertaker there.

Brock Lesnar's return to WWE on the post WrestleMania XXVIII RAW.

Kevin Owens and Elias getting nuclear heat on RAW in Seattle.

Bret Hart/Owen Hart/British Bulldog/Brian Pillman/Jim Neidhart vs. Steve Austin/Hawk/Animal/Goldust/Ken Shamrock. WWF In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede.

Doug Furnas/Dan Kroffat vs. Kenta Kobashi/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi. AJPW, 25th May 1992.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A fellow example from the "fans start tossing shit organically" division: WCW fans all tossing their chairs to Cactus Jack/at Public Enemy, Hardcore Heaven '94. What a spectacle.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

A fellow example from the "fans start tossing shit organically" division: WCW fans all tossing their chairs to Cactus Jack/at Public Enemy, Hardcore Heaven '94. What a spectacle.

I'd like to know when exactly the first chair-throwing incident occurred - Terry Funk asked for chairs during the original Three Way Dance in early 1994 but only had a few takers, so I'm guessing he did that spot elsewhere before ECW

Edited by Dolphman 3000

20 hours ago, Pete said:

George Washington IS Ravishing Ronald! These are hysterical.

I’m imagining a vignette where George chops a cherry tree while “man’s man” plays also Adam’s look like what I imagined a youthful Harley Race looks like

• Like 1

Elias reminds me a lot of Damien Sandow, partially because of looks and physique but also in terms of his mannerisms and inconsistent booking. Sandow got really over with his intellectual savior gimmick and his team with Cody was doing well, then they made him Miz's stooge then a bumbling heel. Elias was doing well enough with his singing asshole gimmick (see the Seattle promo) and is competent in the ring, but they just made him a bigger and bigger goof.

I always get LA Knight and Austin Theory mixed up as they both just strike me as guys Johnny Ace would have hired and been high on during his run - in shape, generically handsome wrestlers who can talk well enough but are totally uninteresting once the bell rings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hard bias alert because I was in said crowd (and IIRC you may have been too?) but Omega/Danielson at Grand Slam I. Obviously, the match was killer, but even if it weren't, and it was just that one moment after the bell where they were getting 'holy shit' and 'this is awesome' before they even touched, I think it would qualify here.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When Stone Cold drove a Zamboni to the ring the night after getting "screwed" out of the title. I was at Joe Louis Arena that night and the pop was insane, grown adults were screaming and jumping up and down like kids who got every Xmas present they've ever wanted.  If that pop wasn't so massive I don't think the whole Stone Cold drives a vehicle to the ring would have caught on.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Mostly it's just the one kid, but: Ron Simmons winning the WCW title in Baltimore.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Elias reminds me a lot of Damien Sandow, partially because of looks and physique but also in terms of his mannerisms and inconsistent booking. Sandow got really over with his intellectual savior gimmick and his team with Cody was doing well, then they made him Miz's stooge then a bumbling heel. Elias was doing well enough with his singing asshole gimmick (see the Seattle promo) and is competent in the ring, but they just made him a bigger and bigger goof.

Intellectual Sandow was neither really over, nor was his team with Cody doing well. I liked that version of Sandow more, but it was the stooge gimmick and eventual break away feud from the Miz that got him over. The problem was the gimmick was too goofy for him to keep momentum. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Taz debut at MSG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Intellectual Sandow was neither really over, nor was his team with Cody doing well. I liked that version of Sandow more, but it was the stooge gimmick and eventual break away feud from the Miz that got him over. The problem was the gimmick was too goofy for him to keep momentum. 

You're not wrong whatsoever, but for me, all that stuff is rehabbable - the real kiss of death for him was the Megapowers 'tribute' gimmick with Curtis Axel. It's cute once or twice, but never, ever, ever works long term, and is a surefire sign creative legitimately, truly has nothing for you. Even if it's someone who is entertaining in their own right -- for example, I recall a few incredibly painful weeks in '99(ish) where Stevie Richards was inexplicably working dressed in Dude Love's gear; in the end, it just made me wanna watch Dude Love (or Savage, in Sandow's case).

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

I went back and watched an old Sandow promo get no reaction, and I almost want to blame it on the company. Every time I catch parts of TV from the pre-YES!, pre-Shield years it feels like absolutely nothing is over. Like people are afraid if they enjoy a gimmick too loudly then creative will ruin it.

9 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I always get LA Knight and Austin Theory mixed up as they both just strike me as guys Johnny Ace would have hired and been high on during his run - in shape, generically handsome wrestlers who can talk well enough but are totally uninteresting once the bell rings.

I remember in NXT Elias had a surname - Samson - I thought "That's juuuust close enough to do a 'long lost brother' reveal.

A Sandow/Elias tag team could have been great. Sandow the pompous, spoiled, much loved brother & Elias the artistic rebel who left home to be his own man.

This is why the whole "Creative has nothing for you" line is such BS. There's always SOMETHING you can be doing to get a character developing.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Roman Reigns on RAW the night after WrestleMania XXXIII after beating The Undertaker there.

Great list but want to highlight this one and ask the board - 

Is "It's my yard now." the greatest 'words for impact' promo of all time?

There's all time great promos, but the weight of 4 words was incredible.

• Like 4