DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

As far as Wyatt goes, the dude no-showed Madison Square Garden. Think about that for a second. Methinks he ain't coming back.

It amazes me how far we came from Bray's return, after all the speculation of where he would go, his relative radio silence, the death of his friend, then his heartfelt return promo before the bollix set in. Smh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Didn't Hayes and Gordy already do a Freebirds reunion in AWF for the spitting ditance amount of time it was around? I definitelycremember them doingcat least a couple of promos before Hayes showed up on WWF TV

James

It was Hayes and Garvin in the AWF - I think they only worked one taping and were gone after

I had just played clips on YouTube from both K100 and Dutch Mantels channel talking about how bad they thought Brays run has been and soon as o get off work I read that he walked. I more surprised that he could be walking away from  a Wrestlemania payday. I'd expect him to atleast make it to Mania before walking out so it has to be alot more behind this than creative issues. When he started the wrestling as the Fiend gimmick a few years ago people were blaming Vince for it being so bad but now he supposedly has alot of Creative freedom so who's to blame now. Isn't he still one of the top merch sellers. 

He was never anywhere close to a good worker but he was able to have good matches against Bryan , Cena , the Shield and even Ryback towards the end of his run. It's spoke to the ability of those guys to carry him. Him being such a supernatural act and adding so many bells and whistles later on as the Fiend made it hard for people to buy into. It really puts him in a box. Someone like Brock Lesnar who has a reputation for not caring about the business like everyone else and is only for the paycheck even refused to work him says alot.  Even against Lashley , I don't see Lashley putting his putting his foot down and saying no to certain things but even in a losing effort alot of that cinematic stuff isn't going to keep him from not being less credible when he has really maintained his credibility as one of the toughest guys even when he hasn't been featured as one of the main guys. Lashley has been one of those guys that even when you slot him in that main event spot he doesn't seem out of place 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

It amazes me how far we came from Bray's return, after all the speculation of where he would go, his relative radio silence, the death of his friend, then his heartfelt return promo before the bollix set in. Smh

Man is this an all-time fuck-up...

This dude had people eating out the palm of his hands on his return, and ended up taking it as permission to continue doing his silly puppet shows and avant garde theatre routine, when really they were cheering the (apparently false) notion that the silly puppet shows and stupid magic tricks were Vince's bad creative, and that Bray was going to return to the bad-ass Cape Fear / Night of the Hunter cult leader they actually loved...

I know Hunter's been giving people freedom to sink or swim on these return hires, but he had to know he was dealing with the Titanic here at some point...

HHH: So now that you're back, what's the game plan? Get your new Family put together, right?

Bray: Can we start by bring my brother back?

HHH: Yeah, sure, I guess he'd make an obvious member for the new Wyatt Fam...

Bray: Oh no, that's not what I want him for. 

HHH: Oh? What for then?

Bray: I want him to dress in an uncanny valley mascot costume and play a nightmare version of my namesake uncle Barry, who may or may not be my ally,,,

HHH: WTF...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Botchamania 469 - YouTube

New Botchamania. I have to post it because it has THE RETURN OF THE NORTHERN BOYS~! And yes it is almost as funny as the Vince one. Since there are multiple promotions/wrestlers, and because it is hilarious, you'll probably want to watch it more than once. 

I figured it'd be the other Northern Boys song, "Nobody Likes Me," so I made some guesses about what would be shown to match the lyrics.

I nailed my guess about what line would cause the Ultimate Warrior to show up, but Yokozuna, Fuji, and Okerlund in that one Coliseum Video skit got me. That and the narcissist. And I guess everyone who was pictured during the title drop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Botchamania 469 - YouTube

New Botchamania. I have to post it because it has THE RETURN OF THE NORTHERN BOYS~! And yes it is almost as funny as the Vince one. Since there are multiple promotions/wrestlers, and because it is hilarious, you'll probably want to watch it more than once. 

Pro Wresting x Northern Boys is pure money.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Man is this an all-time fuck-up...

This dude had people eating out the palm of his hands on his return, and ended up taking it as permission to continue doing his silly puppet shows and avant garde theatre routine, when really they were cheering the (apparently false) notion that the silly puppet shows and stupid magic tricks were Vince's bad creative, and that Bray was going to return to the bad-ass Cape Fear / Night of the Hunter cult leader they actually loved...

My impression from listening to Meltzer is that Bray fancies himself some sort of artiste  and would double-down on the spooky if left to his own devices.  Supposedly, the original plan was to have the Wyatt characters engage in some sort of epic battle of good and evil with the stakes being the souls of mankind.  Said war would have been settled in a wrestling match for… reasons.   The same reasons that had Irwin R. Shyster punishing tax cheats by wrestling them instead of, I dunno, levying a fine or bringing charges.

Bray has a lot of charisma but his greatest talent seems to be convincing people he’s some sort of wrestling savant instead of just a dude with his head too far up his butt who needs a filter.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

At 344 days, Bianca Bel Air is now the longest reigning black WWE champion of any gender.

She's 56* days away from passing Becky Lynch for longest Raw women's champ and longest reign of the split title era. 

After that, she'd need to be champ for 103 more days to reach Sherri and 159 to beat Rockin' Robin for longest ever women's title reign (non-Moolah division).

* - or 27 depending on how you cut it.  WWE recognizes the 56 day number due to pandemic tape delays. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

At 344 days, Bianca Bel Air is now the longest reigning black WWE champion of any gender.

She's 56* days away from passing Becky Lynch for longest Raw women's champ and longest reign of the split title era. 

After that, she'd need to be champ for 103 more days to reach Sherri and 159 to beat Rockin' Robin for longest ever women's title reign (non-Moolah division).

* - or 27 depending on how you cut it.  WWE recognizes the 56 day number due to pandemic tape delays. 

I’m thinking 27 because Bianca said on Raw Talk that if she beats Asuka she’s within a week of the record. So now that makes the outcome more obvious considering how many records have been broken in the last year (or will be this year). The Usos with the tag belts, Roman with the Universal title, Gunther (most likely) with the IC belt all being new records. Plus if they don’t have Bianca break the record I don’t know who they’d have do it (please not Charlotte Flair).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

George Washington IS Ravishing Ronald! These are hysterical.

“Sadly, most history books downplay the fact that fighting the Revolutionary War was an upper-body business.  Far fewer lives would have been lost if someone had counseled American infantrymen not to skip leg day.”

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5