DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

They dropped the WrestleMania part for Backlash.  Seems no June Hell in a Cell PLE, wonder if Triple H drops the red Hell in a Cell look and slap the match type on any other PLE going forward. Summerslam is back in Aug

Some days ago, Heyman debunked the Rock at WM 39 news. The Rock was and is busy with his failing projects. So WM 40 it is for the Rock. 

On 3/7/2023 at 12:40 AM, ChesterCopperpot said:

His NXT TV debut in 2013 was teaming with a future dinosaur in a handicap match against PAC 

Pac-Lucha-Dawson.jpg

They've been out of the WWE so long that I honestly can't remember their WWE names without looking them up. I think that's good, right?

• Like 2

The whole gambling thing is ripe for some sort of satirical gimmick, if not for the promotions having business partners that are gambling companies

If you think about it, the Million Dollar Man making people do things for money isn't all that far from a gambling baron gimmick. DiBiase managing a heel stable of "down on their luck wrestlers who need his support" would probably have been more interesting than the Million Dollar Corporation.

Although I don't think that Dibiase ever put up any of his money in a match? Just the Million Dollar Title. Like DiBiase didn't pledge to give job guys money if they lasted (x) minutes against him?

36 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Something something late-stage capitalism something something.

we "missed out" on late 80s DiBiase opting out of squash matches in order to persuade two jobguys to wrestle each other for a chance of making some extra money

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

we "missed out" on late 80s DiBiase opting out of squash matches in order to persuade two jobguys to wrestle each other for a chance of making some extra money

He did for it one angle I believe. He paid this guy to wrestle another jobber in his place and the guy he paid to take his place lost. The match itself was HORRENDOUS even though it went like maybe ninety seconds, which is probably why they never did it again.

After really thinking about, the Million Dollar Man isn't a gimmick that's suppose to be Vince as much as what people might perceive Vince to be. Vince was self aware enough to let people make toupee jokes (probably he's proud it was his actual hair), but I don't think he was ever humble enough to portray himself.

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He did for it one angle I believe. He paid this guy to wrestle another jobber in his place and the guy he paid to take his place lost. The match itself was HORRENDOUS even though it went like maybe ninety seconds, which is probably why they never did it again.

After really thinking about, the Million Dollar Man isn't a gimmick that's suppose to be Vince as much as what people might perceive Vince to be. Vince was self aware enough to let people make toupee jokes (probably he's proud it was his actual hair), but I don't think he was ever humble enough to portray himself.

a shame that Ted DiBiase was unable to invent the Bumfights video genre but 1980s WWF jobbers were pretty putrid

feels like "person who escaped from Ted DiBiase's overseas diamond-mine" would have been a better character than having Nailz emerge as a heel to feud with the Bossman. But they did hint at "Ted DiBiase is keeping Virgil because of something he did for the family" early in 1991.

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

if DiBiase is Vince, would Face Million Dollar Man have started feuding with a fake Ted Turner?

Mr. McMahon was Vince. Ted DiBiase is probably a weird amalgamation of rich guys Vince knew. That said, between the composite character from No Holds Barred, the Ted/Jane/Goodwill Games stuff from much of his commentary in 1994 after Hogan signed with WCW and then getting acquitted in steroid trial, and the awful, awful Billionaire Ted skits, he had a hard on for ole Ted Turner. 

Meltzer has confirmed in the past that the "Million Dollar Man" gimmick was what Vince would have chose for himself if he had trained as a wrestler

Vince was living vicariously through Ted - but the gimmick wasn't necessarily based on Vince's real life personality

Edited by Dolphman 3000

12 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Meltzer has confirmed in the past that the "Million Dollar Man" gimmick was what Vince would have chose for himself if he had trained as a wrestler

Vince was living vicariously through Ted - but the gimmick wasn't necessarily based on Vince's real life personality

So not Vince. 

Hence what I said above, you cannot live vicariously through the Million Dollar Man and then bitch for the better part of six or seven years this one guy is using money to take over wrestling. It doesn't jive with Vince himself and not seeing himself as a villain until the USWA promo and then Mr. McMahon.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hence what I said above, you cannot live vicariously through the Million Dollar Man and then bitch for the better part of six or seven years this one guy is using money to take over wrestling.

There's a difference between "I like the character of a rich asshole" and "I like a rich asshole"

Damian Lewis left Billions because people were stopping him on the street thinking his TV character was a hero. I'm guessing Michael Douglas went through the same thing after Wall Street

You shouldn't have to explain to people that "greed is good" is an immoral stance, but a whole lot of people in real life unfortunately took it to heart

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The whole gambling thing is ripe for some sort of satirical gimmick

Now that there probably won't be any backlash from the Five Families or the Outfit, we could have a really stupid throwback juice loan manager with a tag team of legbreakers. 

EDIT: Shit, I just remembered FBI now

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

There's a difference between "I like the character of a rich asshole" and "I like a rich asshole"

Damian Lewis left Billions because people were stopping him on the street thinking his TV character was a hero. I'm guessing Michael Douglas went through the same thing after Wall Street

You shouldn't have to explain to people that "greed is good" is an immoral stance, but a whole lot of people in real life unfortunately took it to heart

I think the JBL character (southerner made good and now essentially a rich, wannabe carpetbagger) is more aligned with what Vince actually thinks about himself than Million Dollar Man. Yeah, I think there might have been a time especially early on where there were similar traits Vince wanted the character to have. However, by like 1993 or 1994 when DiBiase stopped wrestling, it's clear that character branched off beyond whatever Vince wanted to portray that character as. Admittedly, that character was well beyond its expiration date. However, if you listen to a Raw like the one where I just watched where Vince and Ted are on commentary together, it's VERY MUCH clear that Ted's portrayal of the Million Dollar Man is disconnected and completely antithetical from what Vince ever believed or desired himself to be. The Mr. McMahon character went much further into the weeds with the viciousness and the nastiness of Vince McMahon BUT was not ludicrous and absurd to the point where he couldn't portray a true to the heart babyface despite being a billionaire.

DiBiase unfortunately couldn't get out of the starting blocks past cartoon character/B-movie secondary villain, which is probably why his commentary left a lot to be desired. Million Dollar Man was more in line with Billionaire Ted as a rich idiot who lucked himself into wealth and could only use money instead of smarts to wield his power. Vince was VERY careful to sometimes portray himself as bumbling and too clever by half but not to the point where Vince himself was a complete and utter dumbass. Moreover, you had to be either THE ROCK or STEVE AUSTIN or TRIPLE H to get the best of him. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now that there probably won't be any backlash from the Five Families or the Outfit, we could have a really stupid throwback juice loan manager with a tag team of legbreakers. 

EDIT: Shit, I just remembered FBI now

Vince Russo might have come the closest to that sort of gimmick with the late 1999 Johnny Marinara/Disco Inferno feud.. and then Johnny quickly went to ECW and cracked his head open once (I think I got that timeline right)

You do an angle where an established guy squashes a jobber, only to throw him on top for the pin, and the big pay day from Vegas. Then the rest of his matches are all contrived attempts at point shaving/winning in under 5 minutes, and then having to do run-ins for other matches to ensure the house win.

• Like 1