DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Are these seeded by Dax’s ranking? New Day and Usos are crazy low. Hell, New Day is probably my projected winner. 

But I’m guessing it isn’t seeded that way and is more chronological because the big four modern tag teams (New Day, Bucks, Briscoes, Usos) are all lumped in together in the 17-20 range. Lucha Bros in the same area too.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Speaking of Dax for his podcast he has a March Madness bracket for greatest tag teams.  He's going to discuss it on next week's show but here they are.  For some reason Twitter posts aren't working for me anymore so here's the links.

https://twitter.com/ftrwithdax/status/1631669064626995200?s=20

https://challonge.com/har5ldw7

Fabs are too low, New Age Outlaws are too high, Williams and Gordy are juuuuuuuust right (even if I'd have them top five, personally).

Just now, nate said:

Cunts.

Eh, let's not.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2

Doing tag teams is harder than doing 1 wrestler at the time, or quarterbacks. What no way right...to me it is. Look no further than the first reply in that Twitter thread. Guy says it has to be the Road Warriors if...followed by a big if that you really can’t go 1 way or another all the way with. Kayfabe still can’t be totally ignored, and it can’t be bought all into no matter how hard you try 1 of those ways or the other. Isn’t it just great lol!

You have teams like Williams and Gordy who people refuse to ignore. Why should they ignore them? Well because...shoot I can’t do it either. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I can guess why Brett DiBiase didn't go by Dale

Dale DiBiase would be the name if they decided to do a Redneck Million Dollar Man gimmick. Which I guess would be Evil Jed Clampett.

Wasn't this what they did with Cameron Grimes? 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wasn't this what they did with Cameron Grimes? 

Yep, they based if off of Grimes legit being one of those to get some money on the gamestop stock screwy stuff that happened a few years back. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

Yep, they based if off of Grimes legit being one of those to get some money on the gamestop stock screwy stuff that happened a few years back. 

He also said he invested the Gamestop money in dogecoin and cashed out at the right time. There was a hilarious part of his promo where he said something like, "I dunno, they're giving money to dogs now or something. Dog Coin. I dunno, but I invested in it and got rich hahahahaha! Ya'll can't tell me nothin'!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Are we just naming human orifices until somebody guesses right?

I thought we were being assholes on the internet by insulting people because we think our opinions are better than their’s

Admittedly, Lacey does have some wacky opinions.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 3/2/2023 at 6:49 AM, JLowe said:

Here's a really great story about a small local Wisconsin fed from the mid-80s that started with an almost-unlabeled VHS from an estate sale.

https://milwaukeerecord.com/sports/the-best-jobbers-in-the-country-the-mystery-vhs-that-unearthed-milwaukee-wrestling-history/

really dig the comparison between local music scenes and local wrestling scenes (as someone who's hobbies include seeing wrestling in VFW halls and deathmetal bands in bars) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I thought we were being assholes on the internet by insulting people because we think our opinions are better than their’s

No, I still maintain we were being left ears on the internet. Has anybody revealed the right answer yet?

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Admittedly, Lacey does have some wacky opinions.

Yeah. If forced to be serious, I maintain there are some opinions that are okay to mock. Proposing "make more money" as an easy solution to anxiety and depression is pretty clearly over that line in my opinion.

• Like 4

random ass questions on "patented" wrestling moves. 

I always thought it was kayfabe but Beth and Edge's "Shatter Machine" call made me wonder why FTR can't call it that in AEW.  Or Malakai's Black Mass.  Is it really a legal thing?  I mean, Matt Hardy still calls it the Twist of Fate and certain moves special name suddenly become the generic term like, um, Jeff Hardy's Swanton.  I don't know.  What's the deal?

43 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I always thought it was kayfabe but Beth and Edge's "Shatter Machine" call made me wonder why FTR can't call it that in AEW.  Or Malakai's Black Mass.  Is it really a legal thing?  I mean, Matt Hardy still calls it the Twist of Fate and certain moves special name suddenly become the generic term like, um, Jeff Hardy's Swanton.  I don't know.  What's the deal?

I think it's 50% not wanting to infringe on copyright by and 50% not wanting to draw attention to the competition

• Like 1

The WWE move is the Twist of Fate. The Impact/AEW version is the Twisto Fate. Completely different!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I can't recall seeing anything in print from WWE that had a TM or (c) after a move name. Definitely seen it after a wrestlers name. 

Max Caster Files To Trademark ‘Scissor Me’

Here's an example from earlier today - unless Tony Khan challenges this trademark application, Caster could show up in WWE in the future and do the "scissor me" gimmick that he created while under AEW contract

10 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Dax said on his podcast that they could get their release from WWE as long as they signed over the rights to The Revival and Shatter Machine.  Otherwise they would have been with the company longer due to Cash having to make up for the time when he was injured.  He didn't seem too happy with doing that but they were so desperate to leave WWE that they'd do whatever as long as they were free.  As for others such as Malakai I don't know.

• Thanks 1