DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

I'll catch this over the next couple of days but I'm hoping Top Flight or the Kingdom get the nod for the tag titles. I think it'd do Top Flight a world of good. Lucha Bros don't need the titles and the titles don't need them. Kingdom can anchor the division if need be. Rush should be a top singles guy and the next challenger for either Claudio or Kingston. I assume Aussie Open have other things to do.

• Like 5

Another solid week of ROH! Was looking forward to Silas Young/Shane Taylor, short but good stuff, hope to see more of both going forward (and JD Griffey too since he was ringside) Skye/Frost both looked good.

Billie/Alize was awesome, probably my favorite match of the night. Glad to see Billie get her a win this time around. Aussie Open vs Daniels/Sydal was excellent and felt like a big main event, loved this as well. 

Joe killing Cheeseburger in seconds was fun. Dug the Claudio/Kingston sitdown. Supercard looking great. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'll catch this over the next couple of days but I'm hoping Top Flight or the Kingdom get the nod for the tag titles. I think it'd do Top Flight a world of good. Lucha Bros don't need the titles and the titles don't need them. Kingdom can anchor the division if need be. Rush should be a top singles guy and the next challenger for either Claudio or Kingston. I assume Aussie Open have other things to do.

Aussie Open would be my top choice, though also the least realistic. Rush/Dralistico would be my second choice as a good first heel team for the right babyfaces to chase down. The Kingdom seems to have more "go away" heat, if they have any heat at all. If they were more stoogey like the Ass Boys or Lethal/Jarrett I could see some value as transitional champs to the right face team, but they take themselves too seriously and I'm not sure that hypothetical must-win face team has presented itself yet in New ROH. Rush/Dralistico can hold the belts as heels longer without getting stale.

Top Flight and Lucha Bros are AEW-first guys, and probably shouldn't be taking time on both shows. Of the two, it would obviously help Top Flight more to at least pad their resume since they're still 6 months to a year away from winning the AEW belts.

• Like 1

I could see the Lucha Bros winning them and keeping them for a short reign, just to get more eyes on ROH. Like @Matt D said, they don't need the titles, but I could see the argument that ROH needs them. Have them win, see if it gooses subs a bit, have Top Flight beat them in a big match.

• Like 3

The biggest argument for them to win is that Mark has associated with them and you want to make sure that's treated with reverence.

That said, I do understand people's concerns about "AEW" guys winning stuff and along those lines, I see Lucha Bros as much more established and normal AEW guys. They were launch wresters who have held multiple titles and really sync in to certain parts of the house style. Top Flight fits more of the neo-ROH feel and style.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

Got to finish this up tomorrow or Sunday, but I ran with ROH instead of AJPW tonight. I like Briscoe vs Nese, the Trustbusters six man, the LFI tag, and Frost vs Blue. All good stuff. Hit after hit. And the Claudio and Eddie argument was really good. The only problem I see is that we've had one feud after the next from guys like Punk and Danielson where they basically say the same thing to Eddie.

I was less high on Taven vs Darius. I don't know what it was. There was a moment in the middle where you just heard constant stomping of feet as they were doing spots that were reversals of reversals without any real weight to it. Taven's growing on me a bit with his goofy personality, but the crowd might have been burnt out by this point and since they weren't reacting to stuff, it all felt a little exhibition-y or dance-y. I thought Mike vs Darius from last week was quite a bit better.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think I said in a thread last week that I thought maybe they could put the ROH tag belts on Top Flight. As you said it would do a world of good for them but would also be good for what they seem to be doing with the new ROH. I like The Kingdom so I could also go with them winning this match and continuing the feud with Top Flight to the next PPV and a switch so that Top Flight can get their big win head to head.

• Like 5

Another terrific ROHTV show. Lots of quality in ring. Loved Tony Nese' situp/kick spot in the opener. Nese is a great hand. Mark Briscoe is unfuckinreal! I really like this trio of Metalik, #ALLHEART and AR Fox. Slim J's punches are a thing of beauty. Everything he does is beautiful. Can we all band together and WILL Slim J into a big push. Lady Frost continues to impress, and Skye Blue continues to improve. Goddamn Rooosh is Pro Wrestling - and Jose the Assistant is a nice part of this glorious package. 'Hot Sauce' has been a really hand thus far. I also really enjoy seeing Rhett TItus take a good beating - another good hand. Tony Deppen is a fantastic hand. I hope Brian Cage sticks around ROH. Despite his constant detractors shitslinging, he's been really solid over the last few months. Billie Starks continues to impress. It seems only a matter of time before she's consider the best on the Ladies side. Alize looked good at points in there, and is probably worth developing. Man, Shane Taylor is fucking awesome! Silas Young too. Both are a presentation tweak from being more widely appreciated. I continue to hope Silas finds himself in a Minnesota Wrecking Crew type root-stomping tag team. Aussie Open v Sydal/Daniels was a ton of fun. That's the best Daniels and Sydal have looked in awhile. Still hoping the Fallen Angel foregoes the lame babyface act to take on a heel Prophecy. The mystery wasn't built up for disappointment, but Cheeseburger isn't exactly an exciting surprise for a TV title match with the King of Television. That said, I like Cheeseburger. He's another good hand and took Joe's beating nicely. Joe-Briscoe is going to be fucking awesome! Stoked for Supercard. The Claudio-Kingston sitdown was terrific too. That's gonna be a barn-burner! If Chris Hero isn't in shape to wrestle, can he at least be Castignoli's Heenan? Not to say Claudio wasn't pulling his weight in that sitdown. Caprice Coleman was good there too. He and Riccaboni are easily the best commentary team under the Khan umbrella. This was another fun show, but a bit or A lot light on the promos. Back to back to back matches are fine when they're quality as they were here, but the flow with promos and packages in between is far better. And helps distinguish ROHTV from AEW Dark. Well, the matches too. Daniels/Sydal-Aussies in particular could have benefitted a recap package. Tho, the promos going into that match were pretty awful. Still, there was enough material to cut something together. Anyway, hoping for more promos and packages on future week 4s. Bring on the Supercard. Vikingo-Kommander, fuck yeah! 

Say, anybody know what's happening for next week's TV prior to the PPV?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Say, anybody know what's happening for next week's TV prior to the PPV?

I don;t know.  I think I should start demanding a $2.50 rebate.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I don;t know.  I think I should start demanding a $2.50 rebate.

Start with 2.50, and go no lower than a dollar 75. I don't understand why they didn't just shoot another episode yesterday in Orlando rather than or with Dark. Weird. I suspect we're getting a countdown show. Perhaps focusing on the promo reps are the way to go. 

4 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Can I buy Supercard of Honor through the Honor Club or do I need to use like a B/R Live or separate PPV provider?

Honor Club will offer Supercard of Honor as part of the subscription, but you'll have to wait for the 3 month tape delay. Live - yeah, BR or Fite (maybe others?). 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think the deal is that they taped Elevation last night at the extra Dark taping so that they can tape a go home show for ROH before Dynamite this Weds.

Oh wow, I hope that happens. 

Also, excellent promo from Mike Bennett. Taven-Bennett r the comeback team of the year.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 7:51 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, now I'm kind of rooting for them to win after that. I think no matter who wins there's going to be a lot of misty eyes. 

I'm with you. Also, I thought about it some more and I'd rather Top Flight's first win not be in a multi-man like this. I'd rather they build to it for December.

EDIT: I was wondering what was going on with Emi this week too but it looks like she's the warm up for Athena to get her ready for Yuka:

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Matt D said:

EDIT: I was wondering what was going on with Emi this week too but it looks like she's the warm up for Athena to get her ready for Yuka:

HOLY FUCK!  ROH RULES THE FUCKING WORLD.

• Like 3