DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

Loving the emphasis on being Hardcore! now

Watching 3 Miyu Yamashita matches on 3 different events that aired on the same day! I love it. She is greatness, put her on supercard. Can never get enough Skull Kicks!

Disappointed to see JD Griffey tossed in the enhancement side of a trios squash. He should have a somewhat higher profile as Shane Taylor's regular partner. 

Fox/Metalik vs The Infantry got a surprising amount of time and turned out very good after expecting more of a squash. 

Athena vs. Emi was GREAT! Athena having a counter for Emi after the spot on Dark and Emi catching the O-Face ruled. Emi's delayed double underhook backbreaker was awesome. Didn't expect Athena's crossface to end the match there as it looked like Emi was going to escape for sure. Epic match. Yuka looked great in the post-match too, very much looking forward to their match.

RUSH is the man, always. I love the pop for Shibata's music every time, nice post-match segment with him and Yuta, what should be another excellent match. Vikingo/Blake ruled, the double backflip landing on their feet together was the best.

Digging the build for Kingston/Claudio. Liked the tease that they were going to wrestle right then. Kingston's promo was perfect. I don't think Claudio loses the title again this soon in the reign, but then I never thought he'd turn heel so soon after his heroic title win either. Excited to catch Supercard tomorrow night, looks like another fantastic card all the way. 

• Like 4

I figured I'll take full advantage of the ten bucks I spent on Honor Club and started watching Supercard of Honor 2022 last night. I got around the ending of the Interim Women's Title match, but just wanted to say that my life is now complete after witnessing a poison rana off the ring apron to the floor, courtesy of Alex(?) Zayne and Swerve in the opener!

FTR vs Briscoes I  is next!

• Like 2

Another terrific show. EMI!! v ATHENA!!! was every bit as great as I assumed it would be. Interesting watching this production. They moved a hardcam toward the entrance way later (noticed it most during Vikingo-Christian) to cover for all the early absences toward the regular Dynamite hardcam. Hopefully they can better promote the early taping of 'ROH on Honor Club' in Long Island. Not sure why they didn't do that in St. Louis? I've yet to see any promo for next week, but, uh, maybe they'll start!? 

So fucking stoked for this PPV (including the mystery Zero Hour). I expect a lot of emotional moments. Are my expectations too high? Let's get Yamashita on there, yeah?

Goddamn Mark Briscoe does everything in and out of the ring to absolute perfection. Not sure there's a better all around performer in wrestling right now. I sense 2023 is going to be a major breakout year. Loved that hype package promo with his family. All the Countdown promo packages were excellent.

If TK is gleaning over the thread, can we get some Baliyan Akki matches going forward? The one match I saw of him on Dark was fucking tremendous. And more Leon Ruffin please.

• Like 2

I tuned in in time to see Athena vs Emi and with the giant fucking wads of wrestling this weekend that's all I saw so far from this episode.  But that to me was my main event on good fucking lord did that rule all kinds of ass.  I would be beyond thrilled if they did a best of five.

On another note the Eddie vs Claudio hype video on the app is mostly the same video that Joseph Monticello put on his Youtube channel.  That guy is incredible in breaking things like this down and Matt would really love the "Walking the King's Road" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SX21cxOtag

EDIT:  Can't embed Youtube links now for some dumb reason or tag Matt.  Awesome.  But fuck it it's worth clicking the link anyway to check his channel.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

• Babyface Aussie Open works a lot better for me than heel Aussie Open. They have a Steiners dynamic with MVC energy. Good use of Sterling here. The match should have ended a bunch of times but it all paid off with him getting flattened, after just barely avoiding getting crushed. Davari and Nese are total pros. I hate the bit where one jumps over the other to hit the leaping european uppercut, but then I'm supposed to hate that so it's ok.
  • My big takeaway from Miyu/Shazza is that I hope they randomly announce Miyu/Maki vs Willow/Skye for the Zero Hour, even though I know they won't. She has the best looking finishing kick in wrestling, I agree.
  • Not a lot to say about the Embassy squash except for that the boom-boom-boom side slam on the top turnbuckle/Toa senton/Cage suplex in was brutal. Now I want to see Gates of Agony vs babyface Aussie Open (even better as a six man with Cobb on the other side, but Cage is probably not long for ROH/AEW)
  • There were things I liked about Infantry vs Metalik/Fox but I sort of lost focus towards the end. Hope Dean is ok after that nasty bump on his head. I probably would have liked to see a little more what de facto heel Infantry would have looked like. Their stuff is very Sports Entertainment-y which is fine and adds contrast but might work better as heels even if Dean is a natural face. I felt a little for Metalik who did his twisting rope walk perfectly only to hear some tame "We want Fox" chants.
  • You know what was good? Athena vs Emi was good. I loved the intensity and the high level counters, but this was no surprise. It was really fun to see some Athena/Mei interaction too. As this was heel vs heel they seemed to be cheering for whoever was in charge at the time. They were just glad to see it.
  • 8 man tag was fun at times but I felt bad for Dante and Darius trying to get in the perfectly timed blind tags when Fenix and Penta just rush into the ring together when someone tags either one of them.
  • Kind of nice to see a pure rules match that wasn't so 50-50. Ruffin, with distance, could do all of his tricks and Yuta took them well, but Wheeler's gotten much better at controlling a match and asserting himself.
  • One or two Vikingo spots took a bit too long to set up. I liked his little finger wag right before the finishing spot when they landed on their feet. Mostly though, this was Blake doing a pretty good job taking everything and shooting his shot. I loved the random chinlock which built up the anticipation for Vikingo to do something else wild.
  • I'll write up Daniels vs Kingston for Monday. It was a good set up for the PPV though.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

And Looks like Zero Hour is:

• Willow vs Miranda Alize
  • Cobb vs Tracy Williams
  • Takeshita vs Willie Mack
  • Slim J vs Stu Grayson

Eclectic!

HARDCORE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Matt D said:

And Looks like Zero Hour is:

• Willow vs Miranda Alize
  • Cobb vs Tracy Williams
  • Takeshita vs Willie Mack
  • Slim J vs Stu Grayson

Eclectic!

Yeah, that's rad line-up. I always welcome a Willow Nightingale contest. I hadn't really rated 'Hot Sauce' a whole lot prior to the relaunch, but he's been really terrific on the new episodes. Takeshita-Willie Mack feels like something I may have spent solid energy trying telepathically get on this show. And Slim J v Stu Grayson seems like something Gorilla Monsoon might agree with me 'could be a main event in any arena around the world'. But seriously SLIM FUCKIN J V STU FUCKIN GRAYSON sorry to curse, but I'm pretty fuckin' stoked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tracy Williams!  Jeff Cobb!  HARDCORE!  JEff Cobb is a ROBOT!  Williams will lay it in!  Cobb runs around the ring but doesn't quite make it a Brainbuster!  Williams gets up Cobb!  DDT by Williams!  GNARLY GERMAN SUPLEX by Cobb!  TOUR OF THE ISLANDS!  That was good.  HEY! It's NIGEL McGUINNESS!  It's WILLIE MACK!  It's KONOSUKE TAKESHITA~!  TAKESHITALINE!  Sweet LAriat by Mack!  They trade ranas!  They trade TOPE CON HILOS!  Mack cuts off Soup with a Dropkick!  LArd Lad with a LAriat!  POUNCE and STUNNER by Mack!  High knee and STUNNER by Soup!  SHINING WIZARD by Mack!  EXPLOIDER BY MACK!  CANNONBALL by MACK!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB by TAKESHITA! KNEE TO THE FACE FOR THE WIN!  That was GREAT!  AWESOME!  More Miranda Alize!  I can't get enough of her ring stylings.  It's Willow Nightingale!  Nice Fisherman Buster Suplex!  Annoyed Willow is a fun Willow!  She's CHOP-HAPPY!  SPINEBUSTER FOR TWO!  Nice comeback by Alize.  Neato DDT by Alize.  BEAUTIFUL DEATH VALLEY DRIVER by Willow!  CANNONBALL TO NOWHERE!  POUNCE!  FUCKING AWESOME DOCTOR BOMB!  That was good!  MIRANDA ALIZE! MIRANDA ALIZE! MIRANDA ALIZE!  SLIM J!  STU motherfuxking GRAYSON!  This should be good.  Beautiful Belly to Belly Suplex by Stu!  Slim J with his wacky offense and THEN his GREAT punches.  This match is great.  Mark Sterling DISTRACTS everyone!  Slim J jumps 3/4 of the ring!  Slim J should just punch the entire match.  So fucking good.  Stu Grayson is like the new Hayabusa coming off the ropes.  Slim J is awesome making Stu look like a million bucks.  Evil Uno double clotheslines Sterling and Daivari!  Stu DOESN'T hit a Falcon Arrow to win so my budding Stu Is The New Hayabusa theory isn't going well.  Hey!  It's Dutch and Vincent!  Dutch is fun.  NOW.  THE PPV. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Liked the pre-show a lot. Stu vs Slim J was probably my favorite match. I really think Williams should be the BCC's goon that takes loses but might scar you along the way. Like they’re Cutler. Takeshita vs Mack had me until the Stunner no sell. Willow's match was pretty good but Nigel reacting to everyone dancing was the best part.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1