DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm with you. Also, I thought about it some more and I'd rather Top Flight's first win not be in a multi-man like this. I'd rather they build to it for December.

EDIT: I was wondering what was going on with Emi this week too but it looks like she's the warm up for Athena to get her ready for Yuka:

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

HOLY FUCK!  ROH RULES THE FUCKING WORLD.

WHAT DEAN~! SAID!

• Like 2

I watched the Hype video for Claudio vs Kingston, I like the clips of their feud in Chikara. I remember some of their matches from back at that time. I thought Kingston would have been money for AEW but I guess they already have one top heel that's dope on the mic.

Is Vikingo going to be a regular for Ring of Honor or is it just to beef up the Supercards or is he going to be more of an AEW talent.

Ring of Honor looks like it's how Tony Khan would book AEW if it was just him without the Elite

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DEAN said:

HOLY FUCK!  ROH RULES THE FUCKING WORLD.

I don't post nearly enough about my love for ROH because I'm typically basking in the love y'all have for it.  But fucking hell do I love what they've been doing.

And I may have startled my wife when Emi held up the title on last night's Elevation.  I just had such joy knowing that two of my favorite women are going to beat the tar out of each other and it'll be glorious.  Athena is such a wonderful champ because she not only brings meaning to the title but also is this unstoppable force that makes for great challenges to the throne.  I would love for Emi to have a run but her nor Yuka are going to win.  I still think Willow eventually dethroning her could work but that's not for a long time down the road.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I watched the Hype video for Claudio vs Kingston, I like the clips of their feud in Chikara. I remember some of their matches from back at that time. I thought Kingston would have been money for AEW but I guess they already have one top heel that's dope on the mic.

Is Vikingo going to be a regular for Ring of Honor or is it just to beef up the Supercards or is he going to be more of an AEW talent.

Ring of Honor looks like it's how Tony Khan would book AEW if it was just him without the Elite

I don't get the impression that the Elite are booking a whole lot of anything in AEW. I mean, I'm sure they have a Say like all the top stars, but not sure there's anything on the AEW shows that isn't ultimately a TK call. Or maybe you meant minus their consistently great matches? The difference in booking, which seems pretty minimal, feels more like freedom from TV concerns/restraints. Probably the best example is the looser match times, which clearly makes a difference. You can do that without a time budget of 120 or 60 minutes. You can forego some of the broader elements aimed to grab ratings and advertising dollars. Tho, that'll all come when this gets moved to WBD wherever down the line. 

Really neat to see them use what looks like a pretty good fan video for the Kingston-Claudio hype package. This is all new to me, but even without this rich history - What a fucking great Main Event! 

Reports suggest Vikingo is still under contract to AAA, but, yeah, let's hope he finds his way to AEW/ROH very soon. I expect Kommander-Vikingo to be Psicosis-Rey 95 for 2023 eyes.

I tried to post Khan's tweet from yesterday to no avail - Shibata v Wheeler is on! So many reasons to say 'I see no better way to spend my $40 on Friday night'. 

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't post nearly enough about my love for ROH because I'm typically basking in the love y'all have for it.  But fucking hell do I love what they've been doing.

And I may have startled my wife when Emi held up the title on last night's Elevation.  I just had such joy knowing that two of my favorite women are going to beat the tar out of each other and it'll be glorious.  Athena is such a wonderful champ because she not only brings meaning to the title but also is this unstoppable force that makes for great challenges to the throne.  I would love for Emi to have a run but her nor Yuka are going to win.  I still think Willow eventually dethroning her could work but that's not for a long time down the road.

I'm totally with you. It's so refreshing to hear such positivity in here. The early hottakers with all their potential complaints and predicted pitfalls have seemingly gone the wayside after 4 solid episodes - at least for now. Not to say (we're early here) that there isn't room for improvement, but seems like a patient crowd with reasonable expectations. That said, it's pretty safe to assume Friday will be the most watched show yet, so it's fair to expect complaints about one specific pushed wrestler (over and over), anger over something previously seen on a WWE show, ppl who like the product being ROHbots, etc. But still, this here's a fine message board and far better than the shitty assholery on reddit, twitter, comment section news sites or wherever else the mainstream drips like to hang.   

• Like 2

The positivity is because far fewer people are watching this than the shows that get more critical attention. Smaller tents tend to result in somewhat greater uniformity of taste and less people with highly divergent tastes bumping into one another. It's why stuff like Impact threads are so tame.

As for pitfalls, there should still be plenty of question about how sustainable a venture it'll be long term and if it has enough of its own identity and appeal to stand justify people's attention with so much stuff out there. But what I've seen is good and if Tony wants to pour his time and money into it, who are we to tell him no. More opportunities for wrestlers is good for as long as it lasts, and people I want to succeed are getting more here than they were on the main roster.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As for pitfalls, there should still be plenty of question about how sustainable a venture it'll be long term and if it has enough of its own identity and appeal to stand justify people's attention with so much stuff out there. But what I've seen is good and if Tony wants to pour his time and money into it, who are we to tell him no. More opportunities for wrestlers is good for as long as it lasts, and people I want to succeed are getting more here than they were on the main roster.

When he said he was going to stop featuring Ring of Honor matches on Dynamite several months ago, I knew he was serious about doing something with it and really making it separate from AEW. Although I do believe he should occasionally put an ROH offer match on both Dynamite and Rampage from time to time just to get it more exposure on free TV especially since it's only on a streaming service you want people to pay for. If it doesn't succeed its still a win for Tony because atleast he has Ring of Honor content. Now he has 20 years of that content and not just the 3 years of AEW content that they are just starting to build up. 

• Like 2

I don't know why I thought so but the ROH show will be considered a PPV and not something on Honor Club until 2 or 3 months later.  I was hoping to watch this show  live this weekend but not at $40 on a god awful Bleacher Report service though

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

The 4th episode of ROH was crazy! Briscoe vs Nese was good, the six man was ok, Taven vs Darius nice but then Skye Blue vs Lady Frost kicked all kinds of ass, Silas Young vs Shane Taylor too, Starkz vs Alize was surprising and the Aussie Open vs Daniels & Sydal was phenomenal! Ok, the main event ended up being a squash, but it heated up Joe vs Briscoe. And there was the sit down with Kingston and Claudio. Eddie don't dare to lose this one after the brow-beating he got from Castignoli here!

• Like 3

ROH taping for tomorrow:

• Miyu Yamashita vs Shazza McKenzie

• ROH Six Man Tag Team Championship Match: The Embassy vs JP Griffy, Dak Draper & Arin Singh

• Tony Nese & Ari Daivari vs Aussie Open

• Top Flight & The Lucha Brothers vs Rush & Dralistico & The Kingdom

• Mark Briscoe promo.

I assume they're taping Athena vs Emi after?

So maybe we get Miyu vs Athena instead of Yuka vs Athena. I am certainly ok either way. Nope, it's Yuka!

AND ALSO

• AR Fox/Metalik vs Dean/Bravo
  • Yuta vs Ruffin
  • Vikingo vs Blake Christian
  • Kingston vs Daniels
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

There is a zero Hour shown on FITE so it is happening.  I was hoping that the full show would be on FITE as well but haven't seen it 

I do like that they are doing tapings the week of the PPV and before the actual PPV.  Nothing was worse than watching about 3 weeks of Ring of Honor TV after the PPV that was complete filler and almost ignored that there was a PPV.  

The Varsity Athletes!  AUSSIE OPEN! FOR THE HARDCORE FANS!  I'm as hardcore as they come.  I watch MLW every week.  I love that Aussie Open are faces in ROH.  Smart Mark Sterling INTERFERES to get Kyle Fletcher to become our faces in peril!  Daivari and Nese are AWESOME as ass beating heels.  The Varsity Athletes SHINE UP~! Mark Davis like... expensive silverware?  SHINED UP A LOT!  GREAT NEARFALL after VA hit a Cutter into a Love MAchine Splash. Aussie Open hits a similar Cutter!  Oh MAN!  I was hoping they would crunch Sterling between Ari and Nese when they were running around the ring!  Double Superkick to Sterling will have to do.  Aussie Open as the Rock and Roll Express is THE TITS!  Miyu Yamashita was wrestling Killer Kelly on IMPACT! right NOW.  Shazza McKenzie just moved to the US like last week.  NICE NORTHERN LIGHTS WITH A BRIDGE by Shazza!  Miyu kicks Shazza in the head!  She kicks her in the chest!  Shazza kicks Miyu in the chest!  Shazza looks GREAT in this- hitting a BEAUTIFUL Toprope Cross Body.  SKULL KICK!  That's all she wrote!  The Embassy crush three dudes!  Hey!  It's Dak Draper!  We HARDCORE folks know that he wrestles in NWA a lot these days.  It's JD Griffey!  He is Shane Taylor's guy!  He gets some stuff in against Toa Liona!  They kill the Singh dude.  Liona CRUSHES Singh on the apron!  I just noticed that Kaun has the biggest head in the Embassy!  WHAT A SKULL!  Oh AWESOME!  THE INFANTRY!  METALIK!  AR FOX!  Metalik is all nifty.  Metalik drops Shawn Dean directly on his head, accidentally.  He must work on his neck a lot because he stays in the match.  The Infantry are SO fun as a tagteam!  PUT THE BELTS ON THE INFANTRY!  So fucking GREAT.  AR FOX is WACKY on the hot tag!  Metalik is fucking spectacular!  Carlie Bravo makes a comeback!  FUCKING BEAUTIFUL SPRINGBOARD ELBOW DROP by Metalik!  That was fucking great.  HARDCORE!  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  EMI! EMI! EMI!  ATHENA makes EMI look like a million bucks early.  THEN!  ATHENA beats the living dogcrap out of EMI!  JESUS!  SUWA DROPKICK into the side of the ring!  EMI comes back with sideways dive into ATHENA against the steel steps!  ATHENA BEATS THE FUDGE OUT OF EMI!   EMI CHOPS TO TRANSITION!  EMI hits a Moonsault for two!  THEN they just start LAYING IT IN!  THIS IS FUCKING GREAT!  EMI HITS HER FINISHER!  ATHENA KICKS OUT!  TIGER DRIVER BY EMI!  ATHENA kinda sinks in a Sleeper?  FOR THE WIN!  Despite the odd finish, that was fucking GREAT!  POSTMATCH!  ATHENA TRIES TO CRIPPLE EMI!  YUKA SAKAZAKI!  makes the SAVE!  So great!  Oh man, Top Flight are going to be in the ring with RUSH and Dralistico.  Okay, this match is insane.  The Kingdom hit a BEAUTIFUL Decapitation!  Yeah, I need Rush/Dralistico vs Dante/Darius in my life.  RUSH CRUSHES DARIUS!  FOR THE WIN!  Being hardcore, I would expect ten more minutes of that match.  Mark Briscoe is GREAT on the mic!  Samoa Joe is ALSO GREAT on the mic!  EVIL WHEELER YUTA!  LEON RUFFIN!  That was kinda squashy though Ruffin got in a comeback.  SHIBATTA!  IS IN ST LOUIS!  AWESOME!  And it's EL HIJO DEL VIKINGO!   Blake Christian gets landed on!  Oh THIS is good.  Vikingo gets in some stuff.  Blake gets in some stuff- hitting a beautiful Tope Con Hilo.  Blake takes control, working on the back!  CHINLOCK!  VIKINGO with a move I cannot BEGIN to comprehend.  Blake with a COMEBACK with a GNARLY German Suplex!  Awkward Poison Rana on the apron.  BLAKE WITH A NEARFALL AFTER A 360!  Great Double Spanish Fly where they both landed on their feet!  Fucking crazy.  Vikingo win with a regular Frankensteiner!  That was sloppy in places but it was fucking HARDCORE!  It's Christopher Daniels up against Eddie Kingston!  BACKDROP DRIVER by Eddie!  Daniels with the Tay Conti submission!  They chop each other a bunch!  This is fun!  EXPLOIDER by Kingston!  Daniels does a Reverse Lawler after Eddie hits the Corner Kobashi Chopping Section!  Two Uricans and that's that.  CLAUDIO!  EDDIE is talking folks into the door!  ROH RULES THE HARDCORE MOTHERUFKING WOOOORLD!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2