DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

On 2/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, Dog said:

Is there an easy way to watch Honor Club on my TV? Just using the laptop doesn't sound very appealing.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:36 PM, Shartnado said:

This is my biggest concern about getting Honor Club, too! I haven't been able to find a convenient way. Chromecast should be a possibility, but I haven't tried using that yet, either.

The ROH app on AppleTV and iPhone works really well.

Great show!  I frequently swap paid apps depending on whether there’s anything on them worth watching.  I just swapped Peacock for this — after a year or so, I just got really tired of old wrestling — and I don’t regret it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

ROH 2023 really just feels like comfort wrestling, if that makes any sense. Just fun, no nonsense wrestling with a variety of guys doing a variety of styles. Fun to watch and simple to follow.

Kind of what ROH was in the beginning, if you ask me

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Unless I’m misremembering, TK said Sunday night at the scrum that the number of subscribers they have currently is around the level ROH had when they were offering stuff like the MSG show and Supercard of Honor a few years ago.

• Like 2

He also said that he’s enjoying booking the tapings immensely since there are no TV restraints (timing, quarter hour ratings) and it’s just like what he did in middle school in ways that Dynamite isn’t and that he can really book for hardcore fans and himself and not all the other pressures.

So… this isn’t going anywhere.

• Like 4

I nearly pulled the trigger on subscribing to Honor Club, but I figured I'll wait until I hear some word of mouth from these tapings on if this is all worth $10 a month.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dog said:

Is that ... good?

It's good for niche super indy. The amount of subscribers can grow over the next following years

Tony Khan has enough money to burn for decades to keep ROH afloat anyways. 

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Unless I’m misremembering, TK said Sunday night at the scrum that the number of subscribers they have currently is around the level ROH had when they were offering stuff like the MSG show and Supercard of Honor a few years ago.

Is that ... good? Should it be higher than that, given the national advertising ROH has had for a year? 

8 minutes ago, Dog said:

Is that ... good? Should it be higher than that, given the national advertising ROH has had for a year? 

For reference, the last ROH PPV had 25,000 buys.

I'd say 12k monthly for the first month is a solid amount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Boo this man! 

Hey man, I already subscribe to NJPW World and Peacock and I've come close a bunch of times to subscribing to Stardom World or Wrestle Universe. 

I suspect the numbers going up or down will reflect the quality of the product. If the first show was any indication (and there's 4 of those a month!) this subscription is easily worth the $10 asking price. Stoked for this second show. Joe-Deppen, Thatcher-Yuta and the Athena-Willow bouts being the obvious sell. But like the first show filled out with some really interesting bouts like the Aussies v the late era ROH tandem of Titus/Williams. Also looking forward to Castle's return and facing that C4 team (not sure why they jobbed them to Archer on Dark the same week of their ROH debut) and the criminally underrated Marcus Kross. And what will Angelico/Serpentico v Rush/Dralistico look like? No idea who Ben Dejo is, but I assume he's in to enhance Eddie. Also, very happy to see Slim J on back to back weeks. I smell victory for the wily vet! Oh, and Trish Adora v Billie Starks is sure to be a focal point of discussion on here as is the case with all of Starks bouts. From week 1, I really liked what I sensed was a patience and ease of timing with the performers last week. It's gotta be such a huge difference not having to work around advertising and restrictive timing demands. I was also blown away how strong the promos were last week, and hope for more of the same.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And what will Angelico/Serpentico v Rush/Dralistico look like? No idea who Ben Dejo is, but I assume he's in to enhance Eddie.

Imagine getting beaten up by Rush and Eddie on the same taping.

• Like 1

Allright a two hour FIST of wrestling right to the face.  Tony Deppen was like Mark Haskins and Tracy Williams at the tail end of the former ROH-  guys who were good, but you can't really see them anywhere else except maybe eternally NXT.  Joe re-enacts a bear mauling with Tony Deppen playing the role of dude in a sleeping bag with the zipper stuck.  Acrually, Deppen gets in a comeback and makes with a nearfall.  He even gets Joe into a pinning predicament before being crushed in a Muscle Buster.  WHOA! Mark Briscoe challenges for the ROH TV title!  Dalton Castle on the MIC!  Fannyburp!  DENSE FURNITURE!  Markus Cross does not have his hair done for victory. Dalton Castle is so AWESOME.  He hints at Steiner but tags in the Boys.  Guillermo Rosa is quite the fireplug!  Castle goes COMPLETE Steiner suplexing everybody across the ring!  BANGARANG!  The Boys are twirling, twirling, twirling to VICTORY!  The Kingdom is on the MIC!  SERP!  Angelico!  RUSH! Dralistico!  Oh man, RUSH versus Angelico are MAGIC!  SERP gets beaten to DEATH.  SERP is FIRED UP!  SERP hits a Tope Con Hilo!  Angelico shows back up!  SERP gets killed by Dralistico's Canadian Destroyer.  That was kind of a wreck but it was fun to have Serpentico get in a bunch of offense.  It's BILLIE STARKZ!  It's TRISH ADORA!  Tope by Starkz elbowed by Adora who CRUSHES Starkz on the apron.  GREAT EVEREST SUPLEX by Adora!  Starkz makes a comeback and Adora cuts her off with a Yakuza Kick.  They start laying it in.  Starkz gets in a giant batch of elbows but Adora fucking DESTROYS Starkz with a Lariat Tubman!  Mannn, Trish Adora versus ATHENA and then Jamie Hayter is the dream.  Trish Adora is fucking awesome.  That was great.  Jake Crist looks pretty good against Slim J and Ari Daivari.  Slim J makes Manscout tap to an STF.  This is all to set up Blake Christian and Metalik vs Slim J and Ari Daivari!   That'll be good.  TIMOTHY THATCHER!  WHEELER YUTA!  For the Pure title!  This match is great!  GREAT Elbow drops by Thatcher.  Yuta with an Octopus Hold for a rope break.  Wheeler Yuta is fucking awesome.  Timothy Thatcher is fucking awesome!  Hammerlock by Yuta for the second ropebreak!  Third ropebreak by Thatcher!  KEYLOCK by Thatcher for second ropebreak by Yuta.  Butterfly Suplex by Thatcher!  Knees to the kidneys causes Yuta's third ropebreak!   Wheeler Yuta CHEATS by using a second CLOSED FIST and Octopus Hold in the ropes!  That was fucking great.   It's Tracy Williams and Rhett Titus!  It's Mark Davis and Kyle Fletcher, AUSSIE OPEN!  Aussie Open hits a great first flurry.  Mark Davis destroys Rhett Titus with a chop to the chest.  Williams is great after the hot tag.  Williams and Fletcher are great in the ring together.  Fun nearfall after Aussie Open hit a DDT Doomsday Device.  DOUBLE SUBMISSIONS BY TITUS and WILLIAMS!  Many nearfalls on Aussie Open!  GNARLY FUCKING PILEDRIVERS BY AUSSIE OPEN!  So fucking GREAT!  That was a THOUSAND times better than I thought it would be.  Aussie Open is fucking AWESOME.  Tracy Williams is fucking awesome!  Rhett Titus is good!  HEY! Ben Dejo is SERP without a mask!   Eddie Kingston hits an Exploider!  and Urican!  And SECRET SERP is done!  WILLOW NIGHTINGALE!  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  ATHENA is so fucking AWESOME- making Willow look like a total killer.  THEN ATHENA beats the fudge out of Willow.  ATHENA is like the first time Fit Finlay showed up in WCW-  just gloriously violent.  ATHENA is so fucking awesome kicking Willow off the apron.  WILLOW makes a combeck with a Powerbomb on the apron and a DEATH VALLEY DRIVER on the floor!  This match is fucking great!  SPINEBUSTER!  FOR TWO!  ATHENA is fucking great destroying Willows arm.  GREAT Nearfall after ATHENA hits a secondary finisher.  POUNCE! FOR TWO!  DOCTOR BOMB!  FOR TWO!  ATHENA leaves!  Willow grabs her and ATHENA rakes her eyes and REVERSE Samoan Slams Willow on the ramp!  O FACE for the win!  That was MOTHERFUCKING GREAT.   ROH! ROH! ROH!  ROH TRULY RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!  That was fucking great.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Another great episode. Nice set up for Joe/Mark, that should be excellent. Fun stuff from Dalton & the boys, then Rush & Dralistico. Was kinda surprised Adora went over Starkz as I expected Billie to get the win and a bit of a push before an official signing but the match was good stuff, loving all the Starkz matches lately as well as the Yuta defenses. Always glad to see Jake Crist get a shot anywhere, would like to see him as a regular considering he goes back with ROH to 2006.

Main event was awesome, great stuff from Athena/Willow. Got good time and near falls. Loved the finishing stretch. Athena got extra vicious, killing Willow with that slam on the ramp and then into the steps. Then Willow took an epic bump on the O-Face. This ruled and definitely delivered. I like this show having a solid mix of competitive squashes and longer showcases mixed in with some shorter squashes here and there. 

• Like 3