DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Lightfall

RIPPA

I’ve still only done two missions

I am trying to be at the recommended power level for each mission (I’ve doing normal) and the power level for the third mission is 1650 so I had to do some grinding

So I did the first seasonal activity (side note- do not immediately leave since when done you need to be present to hand out and receive commendations)

I’ve also been free roaming getting my ass handed to me to increase my Neomuna rank as Nimbus gives out some damn nice rewards (at least at the start)

Only done 3 missions so far. About to do more. I like the story so far though I kind of expected for Strand to already be a thing by now if only to give time to get used to it.

I tried free roaming for a bit and decided it would be best to do other stuff as shit is hard down in Neomuna. Reminded me of back in D1 where you could easily run into shit way above your level if were just exploring and hadn't done everything yet. 

I just finished the third mission

Yeah - I stumbled across one public event where everything was immune to me shooting it. I basically hid until a couple of people showed up who could damage stuff.

I wish we could give commendations to random free roaming players.

I did find a couple of region chests to work on that quest and that also helped with the rep building

Curious what was went wrong with those.

Did the fourth mission.

Spoiler

What is more fun than fighting one Tormentor, why fighting two of course. That was not an easy fight though I did end up dying a lot less likely due to using my Arc build. The running away portion at the end was a little annoying due to my net getting screwy. Story is still too Strand focused and not focused enough on telling us about NeoMuna, the Veil, and how they connect to each other. They really should have had get Strand by the end of mission 3. I do like Nimbus though I'm not digging his voice as much as I do Rohan. 

Make sure to visit the Hall of Heroes between missions. There is dialogue and broadcasts to listen to. For instance,

Spoiler

they are totally not hiding that Nezerac is the raid boss. Even the Neomuna citizens are having nightmares of him despite the guy being supposedly dead.

I really feel like they didn't learn anything from when they introduced Stasis and can start to understand the (albeit vague since I don't want spoilers) not flattering thoughts about the story this year

I did a mission last night (If I counted right - mission five) where they do everything they would normally do when giving you a new power (kill lots of enemies, constant up time on the power, way too many info screens that you can't read because you are getting shot at) but at the end of the mission you still don't have fucking Strand

I know they said that by the time of the story completion you would basically have all of Strand unlocked but, going by quest steps, I am halfway through and I have nothing.

• Like 1

Did the same mission before I went to sleep and had the exact same thoughts. I think the story is fine, but the focus on Strand is absolutely getting in the way of the more interesting lore and big shit happening aspects. We should have had Strand within the first 3 missions.

I am doing the legendary campaign and I am also probably slower than you guys. I am at quest 4 when I get home. I managed to beat my first tormentor without dying by playing the world's longest game of hide and seek. At first I thought he was immune to special and heavy ammo but I was shooting at the wrong place. 

Witherhord is god tier. Strand feels like it's in the way. Also not going to mention how many times I ran to escape mission 3 instead of driving.

• Like 1

The first Tormentor I was ill prepared for

All the ones since have been a little bit better - mainly since I just spam the fuck out of Heavy

One didn't like Thunderlord

Two others didn't like that I just kept wailing away on them with the fancy sword that Mara gives you

I used the craftable LMG from last season for my first two. Then I used Black Talon and found it somehow way the hell better, particularly for fights where you need to hit and run. So happy with the artifact perk for volatile rounds. Its nice using them even when I'm not using the void subclass. 

Edited by Eivion

Well in the TWAB they announced they are going to drop an update today that "will unlock the ability to earn the full suite of Strand Fragments for all players later today. While these additional Fragments will be class-specific to unlock and you’ll need Strand meditations to acquire them, this should be a great way for everyone to experience more of what Strand has to offer before we head into next week’s raid."

Since I haven't reached the end yet - sounds like they did EXACTLY what they did with Stasis and dragged out the process

New Root of Nightmares Raid - Week 2 on March 10

Nightfalls

• Heist Battleground: Mars – Week 2 on March 7
  • Hypernet Current - Week 3 on March 14
  • Arms Dealer – Week 4 on March 21
  • Glassway – Week 5 on March 28
  • Lake of Shadows – Week 6 on April 4

Grandmaster Nightfall Strikes - Week 7 on April 11

Trials of Osiris

• Week 4 on March 24
  • Week 5 on March 31
  • Week 7 on April 14
  • Week 8 on April 21
  • Week 10 on May 5
  • Week 11 on May 12
  • Week 12 on May 19

Iron Banner

• Week 3 on March 14
  • Week 6 on April 4
  • Week 9 on April 25

Guardian Games
May 02, 2023 – May 23, 2023

Did the sixth mission and somehow still don't have Strand. They really fucked up tying Strand way too much into the campaign. I can see why so many are annoyed or pissed.

Spoiler

Anyways, a certain character bites it in the finale of the quest and its hard to really give a damn as we never got much of a chance to know him due to how the campaign has worked. In that respect it feels like we should have been talking to him instead of Nimbus up until this point. Less focus on Strand and doing more shit with said character also would have been nice. 

I am through the strike which is weird as fuck

It also has the most obvious thing in it (which is the 2nd straight mission to do so since the previous mission also had the most obvious thing happen too)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am through the strike which is weird as fuck

It also has the most obvious thing in it (which is the 2nd straight mission to do so since the previous mission also had the most obvious thing happen too)

That was one of the more creative strikes they have made. It also runs incredibly fast though i suspect things will be fairly different in the Nightfall version. Also would be nice to not be forced to team with people who just want to speed through it all.

If you have Nezarec's Sin or Whisper you can hear him speak in the second half of the strike. Again they are not hiding at all who the raid boss is.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I only noticed tonight that for storyline reasons - Master Rahool is selling ships and sparrows

Had no idea until you mentioned this. I checked and only just now noticed Amanda was gone. That is a neat little continuity change for Season of Defiance. Kind of like that people are actually missing from their usual spots for story.

So I finished the campaign and have various thoughts. It was a frustrating experience with plenty of good and bad.

The difficulty was interesting. It felt like we had more power than we did back in the Witchqueen, but there was a glass cannon aspect to it all that made it feel like I was dying more often than back then. It annoyed the shit out of me, but was a good challenge which was the point.

I actually did manage to do all but the final boss fight solo. I suspect I could have done it, but I didn't feel like trying to persevere this late at night. As for the fight itself.

Spoiler

Thought it was mostly simple and straightforward enough. Calus was not especially tough himself outside of one particularly vicious AOE attack that can and will take you out easily without using strand or maybe speed boosting arc. I think it lacked the same epic feel you had when taking on Savathun, but I'm oddly ok with that. Calus has been a good villain/character, but he has never felt like someone on that high a level. OI thought the mission leading up to it was pretty nice. It was good getting fight with Caiatl and her soldiers by our side. It pushed the war aspect better and really should have been something we saw more of during the campaign 

I think much of the story was solid and might have even been good, but for some reason Bungie really fumbled here and decided Strand was the story instead pf just a new subclass to play with. It ultimately just kept getting in the way of lore and exploration of Neomuna and new characters. Strand can be fun, but its a class with a learning curve. In a way I can see why they wanted to essentially train people to use it throughout the campaign, but that wasn't what anyone wanted or was looking for, especially during a major campaign. Its ridiculous that we didn't have access to Strand until post campaign. Its even more ridiculous Bungie had to more or less be pushed to mostly open it up (which it hasn't been yet from what I can tell despite claiming the update would happen today). They knew damn well how much this shit angered people back with Stasis. Not sure how they basically fucked up in the same way. They basically didn't learn shit from back then despite claiming otherwise. 

Its just so frustrating to get a mixed bag after the quality WItchqueen and Season of Seraph. The lack of explanation of the Veil in particular was just weird and dumb. This was not a bad story, but it wasn't anywhere near what it should have been. And it all feels so much worse after getting hyped up by quality releases this past year barring Plunder (which I still enjoyed despite the issues).

Despite my complaints there a good amount to love. The Neomuna world space is one of the best we have ever gotten in Destiny. Its beautiful and looks like there is a good bit to explore. As much as I worry for new players and casuals, I actually like the difficulty increase overall. Everything feels much more aggressive so you are kept on your toes a decent bit. Plenty of new weapons and armor to explore. I do like Nimbus and the relationship he builds with Osiris over the campaign. And even though he could be a bit annoying at times I enjoyed having Osiris so deep into the story as well. 

Overall it going to be interesting to see how well Bungie can bounce back from this fumble. They are far enough in I think they still have most up until Final Shape, but if they want to keep people after they need to legit step their game up and avoids mistakes like they made here. If we get a six subclass they desperately need to make that shit happen either before Final Shape or very early into the story so we can focus on the more interesting shit going on with the characters and story. 

Oh and they apparently updated Fireteams on Bungie's site. It is kind of terrible though I see what they were going for and somewhat appreciate the attempt. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I probably won't finish until Sunday since I have to work tomorrow. Really will depend on how much is left (since I don't want to Google due to spoilers - I am guessing I have three missions left)

Datto had an interesting comment he left on Twitter. He posted his initial thoughts video (which I haven't watched) but on Twitter he noted that he appreciated the campaign more (especially the final boss) after doing it solo because doing it a three man - there was a lot of stuff that he missed because they blew right by.

• Like 1