DVDVR Message Board

POLL! - 2/18- 2/24/2023- WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? Oooo

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Billington Bulldogs vs Ray Jaz/ Little Guido- MLW
    • Alex Hammerstone vs Yamoto- MLW
    • Kazuchika Okada vs Shingo Takagi- New Japan AXS
    • Allysin Kay vs Taya Valkyrie- IMPACT!
    • Mistico/ Soberano Jr/ Volador Jr vs Dragon Rojo Jr/ Gran Guerrero/ Templario- CMLL
    • Guerrero Maya Jr/ Panterita del Ring Jr/ Titan vs Angel de Oro/ Niebla Roja/ El Barbaro Cavernario- CMLL
    • Las Chicas Indomables (La Jarochita/ Lluvia) vs La Metalica/ Reyna Isis- CMLL
    • Toni Storm vs Willow Nightingale- RAMPAGE
    • Trey Miguel vs Crazzy Steve- Monster's Ball- IMPACT!
    • Ashley D'Ambroise vs Janai Kai- Women's Wrestling Army
    • Jonathan Gresham/ Speedball Mike Bailey vs Chris Sabin/ Alex Shelley- IMPACT!
    • Big Bill/ Lee Moriarty vs Max Caster/ Anthony Bowens- DYNAMITE
    • Tag Team Battle Royal- DYNAMITE
    • Komander vs Jack Cartwheel- AAA
    • Dulce Kanela/ Lady Shani/ Sexy Star vs Las Toxicas (Flammer/ La Hiedra/ Maravilla)- AAA
    • Action Andretti vs Sammy Guevara- RAMPAGE
    • Matt Jackson/ Nick Jackson vs Kyle Fletcher/ Mark Davis- RAMPAGE
    • Evil Uno vs Jon Moxley- DYNAMITE
    • Orange Cassidy vs Wheeler Yuta- DYNAMITE
    • Black Generation (Action Jackson/ Bendito/ Elemental) vs Cometa Maya/ Extasis/ Radioactivo- BIG LUCHA
    • Speedball Mike Bailey vs Jonathan Gresham- IMPACT! Pre-show
    • Ilja Dragunov vs Trick Williams- NXT
    • Andre Chase/ Duke Hudson vs The Dyad- NXT
    • Edris Enofé/ Malik Blade vs Gallus- NXT
    • GUNTHER/ Giovanni Vinci/ Ludwig Kaiser vs Madcap Moss/ Ricochet/ Brawn Strowman- SMACKDOWN
    • Tony Nese vs Trent Barretta- AEW DARK
    • Emi Sakura vs Billie Starkz- AEW DARK
    • Slim J vs Matt Sydal- AEW DARK
    • Robyn Renegade/ Charlette Renegade vs Ella Envy/ Roxy- NWA PowerrR
    • Kofi Kingston vs LA Knight- SMACKDOWN
    • KANON vs Naruki Doi- DDT
    • Ari Daivari/ Tony Nese vs The Lucha Brothers- AEW Elevation
    • Trent Barretta/ Chuck Taylor/ John Silver/ Evil Uno/ Alex Reynolds vs Ethan Page/ Isaiah Kassidy/ Matt Hardy/ The Butcher/ The Blade- AEW Elevation
    • Chris Brookes/ Hagane Shinno/ Kip Sabian vs Kazusada Higuchi/ Yuki Ishida/ Yuki Ueno- DDT
    • Kotaro Suzuki/ Yusuke Okada/ Yukio Sakaguchi vs Kazuma Sumi/ Makoto Oishi/ Yuji Hino- DDT
    • Taya Valkyrie vs Jennacide- NWA USA
    • Asuka vs Nikki Cross- RAW
    • Bronson Reed vs Chad Gable- RAW
    • Edge vs Austin Theory- RAW
    • Rey Mysterio vs Karrion Kross- SMACKDOWN

Got some real BANGERZ~! this week!  Look at all the great matches that didn't make the cut!  I had to cut a match with with Kraneo and Volcano in it.  The best match was prolly Okada vs Shingo Takagi.  AEW was prolly Orange Cassidy vs Wheeler Yuta BUT you had all these dark horse matches like MOX/Evil Uno and Emi Sakura/Billie Starkz.  The best WWE match was Edge/Austin Theory even with the shitty finish.  The best fringe match was the Renegade Twins versus Pretty Empowered or maybe Hammerstone vs Yamoto.  And there is so much quality lucha- my fave being the Bendito/ Elemental/ Action Jackson trios match from BIG LUCHA and there was also strong stuff from CMLL and AAA this week.  GOOD LUCK!

CUT LIST: Sam Adonis vs Calvin Tankman- MLW;  Callihan/ Deaner vs Frankie Kazarian/ Yuya Uemura- IMPACT!;  Kenji vs Spider Fly- IWRG;  King/ Kong vs Vengador/ Iku- BIG LUCHA;  Ivy Nile vs Alba Fyre- NXT;  Jinder Mahal vs Bron Breakker- NXT;  Tony Deppen vs Caleb Konley- AEW DARK;  Leva Bates/ Willow Nightingale/ Madison Rayne vs Emi Sakura/ Marina Shafir/ Nyla Rose- AEW Elevation;  Fuego del Sol vs Juice Robinson- AEW Elevation;  Hideki Okatani vs Yuya Koroku- DDT;  Toi Kojima vs Takeshi Masada- DDT;  Seth Rollins vs The Miz- RAW;  Natural Vibes (Jacky Funky Kamei/ Jason Lee) vs GOLD CLASS (BxB Hulk/ Kota Minoura)- Dragon Gate;  David Finlay vs Bobby Fish- New Japan pre-show;  Alex Coughlin vs Kratos- New Japan pre-show;  Baron Corbin vs Sami Zayn- RAW;  Forneo vs Limbo vs Sol vs Torito- BIG LUCHA;  Deonna Purrazzo vs Gisele Shaw- IMPACT! Pre-show; Tony D'Angelo vs Von Wagner- NXT;  Odinson vs Matt Cardona- NWA PowerrR; Emperador Azteca/ Potro De Oro vs Bandido/ Flamita- BIG LUCHA; Natalya vs Shayna Baszler- SMACKDOWN; Felino/ Felino Jr/ Kraneo vs Capitan Suicida/ Dark Panther/ Volcano- CMLL;  Ray Fonseca vs Johnny Blaze- IWA-PR;  Brazo de Oro Jr/ Drago Kid/ Mini Vikingo vs Demus/ Dinamico/ Iron Kid- AAA 

Raw had some nice matches with Edge/Theory being the standout. That said, I kind of preferred Seth/Miz to it surprisingly enough. Also surprised to see Bronson/Gable on here as it was probably the least of the solid matches. 

NXT was fun as usual. Hilariously enough the match I probably would have considered the most was cut in Bron/Jinder. Thought that was better than everything else sans maybe the Chas U/Dyad tag. Chase and Hudson are a way better team than it feels like they should be. Chase in particular is so much damn better than his goofy gimmick lets on.

Dug the Las Toxicas tag from AAA. Its probably the best women's match I have seen from them the past few months. Still mor ein the solid fun than actively good thought the extico, Dulce Kanela was pretty damn impressive. Felt like the Toxicas stepped up their game whenever they worked with Kanela. 

OC/Yuta probably isn't my favorite of recent OC title matches, but it might be the best. Loved that Wheeler didn't screw around and played heel/tweener just based around general viciousness. Mox/Uno was super fun with Uno coming out so hot before Mox eventually bared down on him and put him away.

Takagi/Okada was a bit too long, but built into something pretty damn good with how much they made the crowd believe Shingo could win. Felt like they got them at least a couple of times.

Rey/Kross and Kofi/Knight were both solid matches worth a catch. It was good to see Knight get to showcase finally and  Kross played a fine base for Rey. Even with that Imperium vs. Strowman/Ricochet/Moss was easily the standout. Imperium are great at working together and the faces were a good miss of monster, FIP, and fire.

Toni/Willow was perfect solid but nothing amazing. 

Right now Shingo/Okada makes the most sense to vote for, but I still need to catch CMLL. Debating whether or not to check out Komander/Cartwheel and Starkz/Emi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Right now Shingo/Okada makes the most sense to vote for, but I still need to catch CMLL. Debating whether or not to check out Komander/Cartwheel and Starkz/Emi.

Check out that BIG LUCHA six man too.  Billie Starkz/Emi Sakura is an oddity and adds to the wild resurgence of Emi Sakura.  Komander/Cartwheel is a bunch of neat spots.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

JESUS!  People REALLY liked Wheeler Yuta/Orange Cassidy.  Shingo/Okada... not so much.

It’s funny how some matches kind of catch one by surprise and it’ll stick with you.  I honestly liked Okada/Kiyomiya the most from this week.  But Yuta/OC is a good choice too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

JESUS!  People REALLY liked Wheeler Yuta/Orange Cassidy.  Shingo/Okada... not so much.

Still need to finish CMLL, Cartwheel/Komander, & Starkz/Emi, but I have to admit I'm leaning towards the Big Lucha 6-man tag despite digging Shingo/Okada and OC/Wheeler. 

• Like 1

Yuta/OC is probably my second favorite match of the year, to be honest. And my favorite AEW match of the year. It’s either that or The Acclaimed vs. Jeff Jarrett/Jay Lethal. I know Dragon has had all of his bangers and they are great but they don’t hit me as much in terms of me caring about the outcomes. Yuta/OC and that tag match hit me. I also really loved the OC/Kip Sabian match because of Kip playing such a fun over-the-top evil mastmermind.

Orange has out on a stretch of matches that will hold up against anyone, anywhere at anytime. I am borderline obsessed with him. Just let him beat everyone for another 18 months. I want to see OC vs. Swerve so badly. 

My MOTY is of course Sami vs. Roman, which is my favorite wrestling match period. Ever.

• Like 2

Cartwheel/Komander was an impressive spotfest that felt a little too performative even as a spotfest half the time. It was fun to catch, but it felt like there was a better match to be had. While they weren't slow you could definitely feel multiple moments where they had to take the time to think so they wouldn't fuck up the next impressive spot. A coupe of times in a match is fine, but it felt like that happened a good third or more of the match. Like they could have easily gone twice the speed with slightly less complicated shit and put on something better.

Starkz/Emi was stiff and bloody, but never felt like anything more than decent-solid. First time catching Starkz. She is talented though this didn't feel like the best showcase even with her going a bit for broke.

The women's tag titles match in CMLL was a bit off at first, but got better as it went on and turned into something pretty fun by the end.  The Mistico tag felt kind of short with how fast they ran through the falls, but I did like how each fall tried to deliver solid action. The story with Templario and Dragon Rojo's relationship breaking down as the match went on was done decently as well. Guerrero/Panterita/Titan vs. Angel/Niebla/Cavernario was easily my favorite match of the batch. Much of the time the first two falls can be rushed and sometimes even boring in CMLL, but each one actually felt fleshed out just about right with good action and a nice finish to each.

The big Lucha tag had a decent amount of flubs, but nothing that ever broke the match down with plenty of good action and decent innovation based around the skills of each team. Really dug this one quite a bit. I think it matches up well with the other really good matches from this week, particularly the Imperium tag and CMLL tag I dug so much. Will probably pick one of the lucha tags in the end to make sure it gets some appreciation this week. Just not sure which one. Big Lucha was more creative with a nice styles clash due to size differences, but CMLL was better executed. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

Orange/Yuta was epic, one of my absolute favorite matches as of late. Showing love to Trey/Steve for going all out in an absolutely wild unique match that felt like a real showstealer and delivered in the main event spot

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Orange/Yuta was epic, one of my absolute favorite matches as of late. Showing love to Trey/Steve for going all out in an absolutely wild unique match that felt like a real showstealer and delivered in the main event spot

IMPACT~! is on the board!

• Like 1

• DEAN unpinned this topic