DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 2/24/2023

The Natural

4 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I don't think I've seen this before.

I thought it might be a botch and that Andretti was going to be injured. Cool looking move but lots of potential to go very, very wrong.

• Like 2

Whenever I see Aussie Open I can't help but remember this ridiculously awesome WALTER vs Mark Davis match from PROGRESS several years ago that went like 8 minutes and was absolute hellfire, and wish that we could get more of Davis in a silo. As a team they are pretty jank.

Storm vs Nightingale was pretty rad for what it was. Both ladies brought the beef and had some mustard on their shots. If the rest of this Originals vs Outsiders can't match this level of physicality then we should consider it a dud.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JLowe said:

Mark Davis got pudgy and it worked because he was an ass-beater tonight. I enjoyed the opener a lot, felt like the Bucks reeled in some of their more ridiculous stuff. Now bring on Aussie Open and Top Flight!

Dunkzilla Davis resumed his former pudginess. He got really lean during the pandemic, and it took him a good while to backslide into being a legit heavyweight.

Kyle Fletcher was super skinny when the team first formed, then got super jacked right when Davis was getting lean, so they swapped roles for a minute.

• Like 4

• Storm's sneer/smile/sneer on the way to the ring is pretty bad. Once she gets moving, she's still Toni Storm, but she was such an organic personality all through last year and it's kind of a shame to see her shoehorned into whatever should be going on here. She has to find the truth of the character, basically, and this ain't it. Which isn't to say the match wasn't good. Of course it was good. I'm glad they showed us Ruby tending to Willow after the Hayter run down. I get that selling the PPV is important, but I do think it's important to show the AEW wrestlers being as human as possible as much as possible. You're not going to out plastic spectacle and video package WWE, but you can make these wrestlers feel genuine, like they have actual feelings even in moments that aren't heavily scripted and following bullet points, the little in between moments.
  • I missed Archer on Dark and Elevation. I missed the music. I missed the jerk attitude in him pulling up opponents or teasing a big chop or dive to the crowd and then not doing it. I don't really know what Jake adds to the act. He's a great gatekeeper sort of heel who you can use as a big challenge now and again. If you really were to give MJF a heater and Bill's off the table due to the start/stop there, then either Archer or Hobbs make sense. I honestly have no idea what Jake can really offer anyone in 2023 (though I'm very glad he's back if this makes him happy and especially glad they added him to the public relations team), but maybe putting him into the mix with MJF would create an interesting dynamic.
  • Dustin having no idea what Lee's anime-inspired(?) clothing was about and just going with "The force is strong with us" is peak Dustin. I'm ready to jump to the singles match with Keith and Swerve already but if they want to do a tag with Dustin first, I'm sure not going to complain. I think Bordeaux has a look, but something that we didn't really talk about and can't be denied is how all-time-bad he was in feeding for Keith Lee on his return. It's not his fault. He's just so green and I don't think he had enough time in the Trustbusters to learn from Davari and Slim J and Sonny Kiss, especially when it comes to other non-wrestling things asked of him.
  • So the best part of Andretti vs Sammy, even at 2x speed, was the one massive tapewatcher involved, Garcia, stealing the Stan-Hansen-Stands-On-The-Apron-And-Lariats-Kobashi-Off-The-Top-Rope finish. That said, they obviously matched up well. It was a nice little, well practiced physical spectacle and something Andretti probably needed as a showcase where he could utilize 2008 cruiserweight offense instead of 1998 cruiserweight offense, like against Jericho. He was on AEW Unrestricted and I was looking for something there to latch on to and my big takeaway is that people should listen to the AR Fox episode instead. My big suggestion for Andretti? Become a Bret Hart fanboy like 15% of the roster. Dax will help you.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saturday Reflections:  That Toni Storm/Willow Nightingale match is a MILLION times better in the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  Storm just beats the crap out of Willow to set up Willow's comeback, and it is harrowing.  Storm is a fucking GREAT heel because her amazing STIFFNESS is now channeled into EVIL!  So great.

• Like 2

The Aussies and the Bucks nicely met the high expectations. That said, horrible trio of partners hitting each other spots that were clearly nowhere near their opponents. The Aussies are great, but I expect they'll be tightening things up as they go along. They've come a long way since seeing them here in Toronto 3 or 4 years ago. I thought they might steal a victory from the Jacksons 2. Hey, what was up with that Aussie Open member tweet that somebody posted last week that sounded like the team was breaking up? I'm hoping they're around for some more AEW TV dates. I was down with both backstage team attack segments, but did we need two in the same show? I always love seeing Jay Lethal slap on the figure four in a brawling attack. Triple J! I sense we're closing in on Toni Storm being properly appreciated for her incredible talent. Willow seems like she may only be (what) six months away from being the Champion and a legit draw? This was a simple solid bout here. I love piledrivers as finishers, but the Storm Zero has never really connected for me. I sometimes wonder if Toni wouldn't be that much further along with a more pop worthy finish. Nice to see the Lance-Jake duo back in action. I do however wish AEW fed Archer some more intriguing squashes. Like one of the Bears or a big bumper like Fuego or Ruffin. The Lance versus nameless forgettable jobber has thus far not been a great 'getting over' device for him. Nice to see the Mark Henry split screen segment return, tho I'm  totally down with the video packages as well. Andretti might have benefitted from the latter - not that he was so bad here, but can somebody help him passed 'the sight to see'? No surprise to see Sammy and Action deliver such a stellar piece of business. I love the Garcia-Guevarra team, and expect some exciting things to come from them. Excellent Rampage this week.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I hope all of you are having a great day here. If you’re not, if you’re maybe thinking some not so nice things about yourself, please remember one thing: At the end of the day, at least you’re not the guy who made, transported, and held aloft for the majority of a three hour taping signs supporting Zach Snyder and talking shit on James Gunn. 

Unless one of you are that guy, then fuck off. 

(Please note that I do not have strong feelings one way nor the other on Snyder or Gunn, but Jesus was that guy annoying!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Log said:

I hope all of you are having a great day here. If you’re not, if you’re maybe thinking some not so nice things about yourself, please remember one thing: At the end of the day, at least you’re not the guy who made, transported, and held aloft for the majority of a three hour taping signs supporting Zach Snyder and talking shit on James Gunn. 

(Please note that I do not have strong feelings one way nor the other on Snyder or Gunn, but Jesus was that guy annoying!)

The International Feed is our Snyder Cut. 

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Log said:

Thank you. My partner kept asking which one of the Ass Boys was James Gunn and why the guy with the sign hated one but not the other. I figured it was a reference to something stupid but now I know it was even stupider than I thought. 

• Haha 6

On 2/25/2023 at 5:07 PM, DEAN said:

Saturday Reflections:  That Toni Storm/Willow Nightingale match is a MILLION times better in the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  Storm just beats the crap out of Willow to set up Willow's comeback, and it is harrowing.  Storm is a fucking GREAT heel because her amazing STIFFNESS is now channeled into EVIL!  So great.

International feed is the best. It's the version to go with.

• Like 1