DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 2/24/2023

The Natural

Toni vs Willow, check.

Dustin Rhodes saying something weird and Keith Lee reacting, check.

Lance Archer killing some poor fool, check.

Watching a Sammy Guevara match on 2x speed, check.

Using the extra time I have to watch Georges Cohen and Gass Doukhan wrestle some guys from 85 for Tuesday, check.

• Like 5

AUSSIE OPEN!  THE YOUNG BUCKS!  Mark Davis is looking like Ole Anderson.  Mark Davis channels BEAR COUNTRY and slams both Bucks!  Aussie open is bumping all over the ring for the Bucks!  Aussie Open goes on offense and the Bucks bump all over the ring for AO.  Mark Davis lays it in!  Kyle Fletcher makes a hilarious face after taking a toprope Frankensteiner.  SWEET BRAINBUSTER ON THE FLOOR by Fletcher.  NICE LARIAT by Mark Davis.  Davis is the superstar of the match.  SUPER KICKS!  This match is fun!  SABU!  Great nearfall on Aussie Open's finisher.  BTE Trigger and the Bucks win!  That was fun.  Aussie Open looked fucking great.  PEE! MATT D! PEE!  TONI STORM!  WILLOW NIGHTINGALE!  This should be good.  Saraya is making money on the side.  You go girl!  Storm and Willow are beating the fudge out of each other.  Willow is OVER in Phoenix!  WRECKED EM through the ropes!  Storm is fucking awesome throwing Willow all over the guardrails.  SO STIFF!  Storm gets all the heat on Willow so the Phoenicians get behind Willow's struggle to escape the New Zealand/Australian/British ass beating being supplied by Toni Storm.  A straight up WRECKED EM by Storm!  Willow CANNONBALLS To COMEBACK!  DEATH VALLEY DRIVER FOR TWO!  Saraya interferes!  STORM ZERO for the win!  EVERYBODY RUNS OUT!  Willow looked fucking great.  Toni Storm is so fucking GREAT.  Hey! It's Lance Archer!  With Jake the Snake!  Bryce Saturn flies all over place!  KOMANDER!  FUCK YES!  IN A LADDER MATCH!  WE MAY NOT SURVIVE!  SAMMY GUEVARA! THE HEAT MACHINE!  ACTION ANDRETTI!  This is fun junior heavyweight wrestling.  This match is all about hard bumps as AA does a 450 off the apron to the floor!  Jesus!  GREAT SUPERPLEX by AA in picture in picture!  And an Arabian Moonsault!  GREAT SPIKE DDT by Sammy!  This match is great.  GREAT NEARFALL on Spanish Fly.  SUWA DROPKICK by Andretti!  DANIEL GARCIA WITH THE LARIAT!  SAMMY WINS!  SAMMY WINS! That was great.   KOMANDER!  AND KONOSUKE TAKESHITA IN THE SAME MATCH!  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKER WORLD!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I talked a lot of shit about Ozzy Open (new name) being Bad Hair Day, taking over from the title of the prior tag team benamed by that from someone in the DVDVR back in the day that involved Orihara and someone else in BattlARTS and maybe M-Pro, but I acquiece because Mark Davis now has okay hair. Them being stiff reminded me of Imperium or the Brutes, so they took off some of the goofiness of their match -- which was very goofy. In comparison, Willow/Toni was totally fucking Memphis and old-school and great. Saraya is killer at this whole secondary role thing, and so is Willow at being the aggrieved babyface asskicker. Lance Archer and JAKE made me very happy to see show up because they're the best version of 911 ever -- no belt, no feud, just send him in to wreck somebody. The rest was... well, I'd have rather Garcia been in there. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Mark Davis got pudgy and it worked because he was an ass-beater tonight. I enjoyed the opener a lot, felt like the Bucks reeled in some of their more ridiculous stuff. Now bring on Aussie Open and Top Flight!

We all expected Toni-Willow to be stiff and excellent and it was. No complaints other than giving it a little more time.

Never cared for Lance Archer, don’t care now, wondering who they’re heating him up for.

Main was solid, Sammy is a heat machine, Andretti is an occasionally sloppy spot machine, told a story, systematic cheating, right person won.

Next week’s ladder match is going to be really awesome and somebody is going to do something really stupid.

• Like 2

This is weird. I'm pretty certain that I'm excited for every match on Dynamite more than every match on Revolution.

Even the dumb ladder match because it's got Kingston and Ortiz and Hobbs and Komander (so it'll be something new at least) and the battle royal because I like those and there's a mystery team.

But definitely OC vs Bill, Hook vs Matt, Jericho vs Avalon, and Storm vs Riho. I'm honestly looking forward to all four of those. Fresh matches. Interesting style clashes. I hope Avalon and Matt both get a few minutes in there at least. 

That's the joy of AEW, right? If you aren't feeling something, wait a minute. The roster is that just fun.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

This is weird. I'm pretty certain that I'm excited for every match on Dynamite more than every match on Revolution.

Even then dumb ladder match because it's got Kingston and Ortiz and Hobbs and Komander (so it'll be something new at least) and the battle royal because I like those and there's a mystery team.

But definitely OC vs Bill, Hook vs Matt, Jericho vs Avalon, and Storm vs Riho. I'm honestly looking forward to all four of those. Fresh matches. Interesting style clashes. I hope Avalon and Matt both get a few minutes in there at least. 

That's the joy of AEW, right? If you aren't feeling something, wait a minute. The roster is that just fun.

It’s like we’ve been saying that this past Dynamite felt more like a go-home show for the PPV, so next week’s is just going to be random to set up the remaining matches and buy-in. I too really hope they actually give Avalon some time. I can’t imagine that they’ll totally squash Hardy, although the way he pulled off the stipulations makes me think he’s going to lie down to get back at Stokely.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I can go with that but I think Matt will definitely get destroyed for HOOK because... it's HOOK. And he deserves the rub. He'll probably get back at Stokely somehow and it'll be great. 

Forgot about this... did some neckbeard give Saraya his number, and stick it in her bra? I watched that back three times and couldn't figure it out. 

EDIT: SHE stuck it in her top, not him. That would be something I'm sure we'd already be talking about, long before this.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Fun show, glad to see Archer back and with Jake the Snake especially. Bucks/Aussie ruled as expected. Thought the Bucks would lose after the first lights go out bit. Nice finish on Sammy/Andretti

Next week Dynamite looks stacked, always thrilled to have RIHO back! and interesting to have the Face of Revolution match on Dynamite this time. plus Orange vs Big Bill which had just been brought up on here.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Next week’s ladder match is going to be really awesome and somebody is going to do something really stupid.

Definitely Stupid Sammy. Action Andretti won't be far behind.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hmmm. I can go with that but I think Matt will definitely get destroyed for HOOK because... it's HOOK. And he deserves the rub. He'll probably get back at Stokely somehow and it'll be great. 

Forgot about this... did some neckbeard give Saraya his number, and stick it in her bra? I watched that back three times and couldn't figure it out. 

EDIT: SHE stuck it in her top, not him. That would be something I'm sure we'd already be talking about, long before this.

He gave her fifty bucks to sign his shirt.  Saraya spoke about it on twitter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Definitely Sammy Guevara. Action Andretti won't be far behind.

Well KOMANDER is debuting.  I can't IMAGINE what he is going to do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The board is being a wreck (HA) so I can't tag you so I'll just ask this in this fashion: can you give us the best Komander match you've seen? Because I haven't seen a single one and I need to. And everyone else should, too. 

He's never the best guy in the match, he just hits the craziest high spot.  His best match I've seen was a singles match in BIG LUCHA. 

• Like 1